Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

MydogandImakegifs
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Dec 2017, 6:18 am

My partner and I are staying at our in-laws duplex style home (shared kitchen) for a couple of months to save up money and help them out for 500$ a month in rent. They have two dogs.

They recently bought a new dog (6 months old) and for 4 days now they've had me watch him and train him on their side of the home on call from 9-7 (I make money on my computer). How much should I ask to be compensated for? Dog training is my special interest and has been my entire life (as well as my family's). I've been asked to and would pursue it professionally but I'm very shy with people.

I walk him, feed him, currently potty training, teach him important obedience stuff, play with him, clean up after him, answer dozens of questions. I feel bad for him because it's very apparent that they have no time for him, but I also don't want to be taken advantage of. It's very draining to be this responsible for their dog (they want me with him on their side of the home at all times)

They seem receptive to paying me or deducing it from our rent. The amount of obedience training I've done with this dog is incredible and they're worried that I'm being taken advantage of because I do it for free. I also take care of the dogs when they go on vacations and road trips.

TLDR; take care of two of in-laws dogs, what should I be asking without being a pushover or rude :!: ?

ok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2017, 3:52 am

Asking for salary is not easy with friends or family. But, that dog watching job really sounds like a job. I think you should ask for salary or a discount on the rent. You are not just doing favors here, you are actually working with the dog. A job is a job.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 7:18 pm

What would you charge a client for the same level of service?

What discount, if any, would you offer to family for your services?

That price minus that discount = fair compensation.

If they're unhappy with the amount, explain how you arrived at it & suggest that if they'd prefer to pay less for your dog training services that you'll be happy to scale back the level of service until it meets their budget.

I'm sure if they've expressed that they don't want to be taking advantage of you that they will be completely reasonable in discussing it & arriving at a fair and balanced level of compensation for services rendered. I know I certainly would if I were paying a friend to do something - and that's why I prefer to OVER pay friends and family what they ask for, or we agree upon, rather than stiff them.