Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 4:32 am

This suggestion seems to be something basally offensive to all jobs - that they're the kind of thing people do as "just a job," to get by while they're working toward something else.
But that's where I'm at this week - still working on figuring out the badly belated career direction (it's going nowhere) so I've been looking / applying for positions that are, really, just a job. Not something you want to devote the rest of your life to.
But they seem very intent on making out as if they are, as if they're more important than being just a job and won't possibly stoop to take on people who aren't "worthy." I actually saw an advertisement for a dump trucking job (which I'd actually be interested in, as I'm licensed) listed as "highly skilled waste technician."
Give me a break.
What kinds of jobs has everyone done / are doing that fit this category? How is it, just as a job? Do you have to stroke their egos or be honest that really, you're just looking for a basic job you can start asap?
I'm still working on getting past the fact that even these jobs list under criteria "fast paced work environment," "team player to work in close knit team," "three years previous experience in a similar role," "excellent written and verbal communication skills" or "relevant tertiary qualifications." :(

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 9:17 am

The only jobs I've ever worked at have been "just jobs." I mean I've had some tasks in them that I actually enjoyed, but they have all been the kind that I've done simply for money, as in if I got a more interesting job (with pretty much the same or higher pay) I would quit as soon as I can. It'd be nice to find a job that I can actually enjoy, but if I never do, well, I'm cool with that, too. For me, the idea of working is to get money so that I can afford to do the things I want to do in my free time. The job itself doesn't necessarily need to be something I enjoy.

And yeah, people do seem to only want to hire people who're actually interested in the job instead of getting a job. Kinda troublesome, but it makes sense. If people enjoy what they do it's logical to assume that they'll work harder and won't leave the second they get a better offer. Actually, I'm currently working on how to sound like I'm interested in the jobs I try to get in to so it wouldn't be so clear that I'm mostly interested in making a living and not really in what the company does.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 10:56 am

"Dishwasher with passion!"

There's a place here that runs an ad with this headline pretty regularly. I've never applied with them yet. Mostly because, while I'm probably the best dishwasher they could possibly find, I'm not going to be passionate and enthusiastic about it. I'm not even going to pretend to be. It's a dishwashing job. It consists of being covered in bleach and garbage the entire day. It's just about the most underappreciated job there is, but the dishes don't care if I can't talk to them.
That's the one I've got the most experience with. You can probably guess the specifics of it.
My favorite job, so far, was as a fishing boat deckhand. Was just beautiful. No money in what we were fishing for, though, and the boat I worked on was about 70 years old. So it was broken down more often than it was out fishing. Lot of fun. With the right captain, crew, and ship, I'd do it again.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 11:48 am

Been quite a while since Ive posted here...

Im having a similar dilemma right now. All I want is a job to pay my bills. My motivation is to provide for myself... why is that not enough? I have a hard time understanding why people today are so involved and enthused with work... have people's lives become that sad that work is what gets us going?

I recently lost my data entry job because the company went out of business. Its been about 6 years since Ive last sought work and its been a shock. It seems like today certain personalities are not wanted or even welcome in any workplace. Individual thought and focus on self seem to be horrific things. It seems unless you subscribe to a collectivist mentality, with the companies interests being your main priority, not only at work but always, you are considered non employable.

Im going to try going back to temping again. Most of those arrangements seem to have more built in expectation of it being just a job for now, becuase thats all it is.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 8:37 pm

Just tell them what they want to hear, get the job & do it for as long as you have the need or want for it. Exchange your time & effort for monies owed, business transaction complete - daily. You're not obligated to stay long term.

As for qualifications listed.. they're wish lists. If they had anyone to hire they wouldn't advertise the job. Anyone deterred by basic requirements listed they don't want because that person must not feel they're competent enough to do the job. If you know you can do the job, but don't have 3 years experience in a similar role, just tell a little white lie and say you've done similar work and will have no problem learning how they do it there. Get hired, learn on the job & bring yourself up to speed right quick, work & get paid. Pretty simple process.

Whenever you find a better suited job or career type role, give them notice if you can and peace out & move on like everyone else. They may wish people would stay vs. having to rehire and train, but some jobs are so mundane and low paying that bosses KNOW & EXPECT to have to constantly hire new staff to fill those roles. That's business.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 9:01 pm

elbowgrease wrote:
It's just about the most underappreciated job there is, but the dishes don't care if I can't talk to them.

Heh, I can well see that. The amount of success I've had looking for "jobs for people who don't speak" has been less than negligible. Even jobs that they list require some speech.
beakybird wrote:
Been quite a while since Ive posted here...

Im having a similar dilemma right now. All I want is a job to pay my bills. My motivation is to provide for myself... why is that not enough? I have a hard time understanding why people today are so involved and enthused with work... have people's lives become that sad that work is what gets us going?

I recently lost my data entry job because the company went out of business. Its been about 6 years since Ive last sought work and its been a shock. It seems like today certain personalities are not wanted or even welcome in any workplace. Individual thought and focus on self seem to be horrific things. It seems unless you subscribe to a collectivist mentality, with the companies interests being your main priority, not only at work but always, you are considered non employable.

Im going to try going back to temping again. Most of those arrangements seem to have more built in expectation of it being just a job for now, becuase thats all it is.

I thought of trying temping too, because unlike many autistics, I cannot stand being stuck in the same situation for long. People start to catch on what I'm like, and the excuse of "just being new" starts to wear off and I get hostility from them. Better to get out before that happens.
But as to liking your job - in this climate, you're probably going to spend more of your waking life actually at your job than on your free time, so I'd kind of appreciate not hating basically my whole life.
goldfish21 wrote:
Just tell them what they want to hear, get the job & do it for as long as you have the need or want for it. Exchange your time & effort for monies owed, business transaction complete - daily. You're not obligated to stay long term.

As for qualifications listed.. they're wish lists. If they had anyone to hire they wouldn't advertise the job. Anyone deterred by basic requirements listed they don't want because that person must not feel they're competent enough to do the job. If you know you can do the job, but don't have 3 years experience in a similar role, just tell a little white lie and say you've done similar work and will have no problem learning how they do it there. Get hired, learn on the job & bring yourself up to speed right quick, work & get paid. Pretty simple process.

This may be a bit strange, but I don't lie. I could not outright, deliberately, tell someone something that I knew was in no way true. So if they ask if I have three years experience, or I am interested in staying with the job long term, and I don't and I'm not - I can't tell them that I do and I am. It's kind of demoralizing that you have to lie and cheat your way into things just to work.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 9:06 pm

C2V wrote:
This may be a bit strange, but I don't lie. I could not outright, deliberately, tell someone something that I knew was in no way true. So if they ask if I have three years experience, or I am interested in staying with the job long term, and I don't and I'm not - I can't tell them that I do and I am. It's kind of demoralizing that you have to lie and cheat your way into things just to work.

No, it's not strange. It's common to be honest-to-a-fault when on the Autism spectrum. However, you need to accept the reality that these sorts of lies are socially acceptable - and EXPECTED - types of lies. Either you learn to play the social game and say the words you need to in order to be invited onto their team as an employee, or you don't and don't get a job. Pretty simple. It's a BS game people play, yes, but if you go through life being honest-to-a-fault like this in every aspect then it's only going to serve to penalize you by keeping you from having a job. Learn to bend your own rigid rules a bit when it's for your own good & apply them strictly when it makes sense to do so, ie don't commit perjury in court, don't be a thief and lie about having stolen something etc, but DO learn that sometimes we have to tell the social lies that people want to hear in order to get along with the rest of the world.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Dec 2017, 9:33 pm

The 3 jobs I had were "just jobs". My 1st was a dishwasher, my 2nd was doing floor-cleaning & care at a store, & my 3rd was custodian at a store. The jobs were listed on the websites as "just jobs" cuz they didn't really list requirements or anything but I did have to take a personality type test to get hired at the two stores. I have physical disabilities in addition to my Aspergers & other mental issues that really limit me with employment & going to skewl. I was a very hard worker at all 3 jobs & I would of stayed at the last two if things had worked out better. I mostly just took the dishwashing job cuz I wanted some experience & an organization that helped with employment along with other things had lined it up for me. I didn't like the stress of rush-hour & I wanted something with alittle more pay & health insurance after awhile.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition