What kinds of jobs can you do where they need you?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

DinoMongoosePenguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Apr 2018, 3:24 pm

Wish the subject column were longer! (Sigh) I was going to say, what kinds of jobs are there that Aspies could do where the employer would need you as much as you need them, and that that wouldn't change based on age and/or experience?

Right now, I've noticed that even qualified NTs are having trouble getting hired around 45 or so if they are let go. Usually it's because they want someone less experienced and/or cheaper (either foreign and desperate, younger and cheaper, etc).

There probably are loads of types of jobs where the more you profit, the more your employer profits. One of those is writing, which I hope to go into. But I'm wondering if these types of jobs are the ones where it requires a lot of networking and also is risker for someone as there would be no insurance and medicine prices are criminally high uninsured and you'd need to be making bank on every project/book/article, etc to pay for it.

So how could someone with Aspergers, seeing the trap coming for the "working for someone else" route (i.e. thrown out for costing too much or because they want someone, possibly foreign, cheaper. And, BTW, going this route, your Aspergers would definitely work against you too!) , go the more risky route like book writing instead?

Has anyone on here ever done this?

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 4:37 am

I'm aiming to be a novelist, but I also have a job that I get a monthly pay from. If one wants to make a career of writing or some form of art, it's wise to have a back up plan/safe retreat like that. Better not to put all apples in one basket!

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2018, 9:07 am

I have no idea what it takes to be a writer for hire or under contract for something like a book, or independently. I did briefly want to work in music/audio engineering under similar terms and failed miserably because of my lack of ability to do the networking and connecting stuff.

I would say if you're good at writing informational stuff, that technical writing as a skill, or major function of a job could be a great job for you. For example, there are people who are responsible for writing policies, training documents, instruction manuals, change communication, executive presentations, etc. Sometimes these roles are buried in other jobs. For example sometimes "project managers" aren't actually PMs but people who make arrangements to collect info to write documents about stuff. Or "process experts" sometimes are really SOP (Standard Operation Procedure) writers. Or documentation/knowledge management is often a lot of writing.

As for jobs that an aspie could have... I'd say anything that requires a ton of knowledge and a ton of focus that the person can truly get interested in. I am successful in my career because I've constantly looked for business-related special interests. Stuff like analytics, database design, psychology, etc. I am an expert in those topics but I don't actually hold a job or a degree in any of those areas. It helps me have a competitive edge in the office and makes me indispensable