Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Blue Thunder
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Apr 2018, 9:21 pm

I am, again, a poor fit for my job as it turns out. I do administrative work which requires multitasking. My boss says he has no time to manage my work area. So me, diagnosed on the autistic spectrum, struggle with multi-tasking. I was on so many psychiatric drugs so I could do my work, but after getting cancer I decided to get off the drugs and just be true to myself. Mentally I am doing well despite job and financial challenges ( I have a lot of medical bills). After much time getting to know myself I have found I have a passion for where quantum physics and consciousness meet. I have also developed my own mind frame that I think contributed to doing well without all the meds. I am beginning to write a book, writing songs, have a list of insights and theories from my research.

I want to write, invent, and be a part of showing the world that autism is a gift when it's found what works for the individual. The problem is how does an office worker in a poor fitting job position become a writer/inventor/autism advocate in today's society?
Any ideas for contacts/where to start here?

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 12:02 pm

You sound very self-motivated and I like that kind but I can offer some advice

1. If you want to write- you could start with a series of blogs which can become a portfolio where you can sell your work
2. If you are good at quantum mechanics- again show portfolio and maybe look at working at some tutoring centers by showing off your knowledge in physics and math which could land you in a University
3. Also look into freelancing
4. Find organizations and other types of programs that you are interested in and again, sell your work

ChefDave
Raven
Raven

17 May 2018, 11:13 am

I'm not sure if autism has anything to do with one's ability to multi-task. Multi-tasking is a learned ability.

Start with organization. Do you have folders, bins, stacked trays, or other ways of sorting your hard copy paperwork? You probably also have a file cabinet which is useful for long term storage but for short term processing, I like using color coded folders and stacked trays. Within each folder I use paper clips to separate each collection of papers.

Do you have a note pad for making notes about things you need to do? If you have a list of things to do, have your prioritized them in order of what needs to be done first vs. what can be put off until later? If any of these tasks are time critical, have you noted on the notepad what time each task has to be completed by?

I keep a notepad on my desk and as I accomplish each task, I cross it off. I even carry a mini-pad in a pocket of my chef's coat to make notes that I may later transfer to the big pad.

My notepad is used to keep track of daily tasks. On my desktop computer, I have an expanded version of my notepad on a one year calendar. My district uses an on-line planning tool called Curriculum Engine. This site gives us access to a calendar and we use the calendars to highlight lesson plans. I have lessons for 8th grade as well as high school Culinary Arts 1, 2, and 3. Clicking on any heading gives me access to a page which is used to write an individual lesson.

In addition to using Curriculum Engine to write lessons, I also use the calendar to highlight dates and times for assemblies, pep rallies, faculty meetings, field trips, dates for semester exams, and deadlines for submitting grades for report cards.

Regarding your situation, you could get a large hard copy calendar from Office Max. Color code the calendar with various events that you need to keep track of such as blue for meetings, green for holidays, and red for deadlines for quarterly reports or other paperwork that will be needed.

Most people whether autistic or not are not born knowing how to organize. This is a learned skill. You can learn how to do this and if you're successful in mastering this skill, your stress level will be greatly reduced.

Best wishes!

David

graemespence1
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 May 2018, 9:50 am

I had to relearn how to multitask due to been on heavy anti eplipset tablets and memory damage due to seizures.

I work in IT as a field engineer and I have a old battered Surface Pro 3 and to be honest without the device I would be doomed as while I have vast knowledge I struggle to get to the knowledge in my head.

I'm like a massive SQL database non indexed and poorly documented.