Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 8:03 pm

Are there any Locksmiths here at WP? Anybody here familiar with this line of work.

If so, I'd like to see your responses and your sentiments about working in that trade and whether it would be Aspie-compatible.

The reason I ask is I might have an apprenticeship available to me in the near future with a locksmithing firm.

Thank-you in advance for your replies.

Be yourself no matter what they say

**Sting, Englishman In New York

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 11:45 pm

Take it,

Sounds good to me although I'm not a locksmith I enjoy mechanical projects and since my school days pretty handy with locks :twisted:

You will find the skill of being able to make pieces of metal fit together although underestimated quite rare and always in demand.

-Main
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Oct 2007, 12:20 am

Yeah, I'd like to know about this too. I know how basic locks work, and I think that I might like it, which is quite unusual for a paid job.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 12:32 am

Requires some people skills.

Sometimes you deal with frantic people locked out of their homes/cars.
Sometimes you are installing locksets for homeowners who are standing over you watching everything you do.

Other times, you are working in the shop dealing with all those little pins and springs :P

Check with the outfit you might be apprenticing with to see how much customer interaction you may be required to do.

Do they bill or do you have to take payment at the time of service? Will that bother you to address the issue of the charges directly with the customer?

Will you be working with a partner once you are familiar with the business?
Will you be able to work with a partner?

Is this a large firm (several vans, large clients as well as small clients - Office buildings vs homeowner).

Will you be on-call sometimes? Is this for 24 hrs?

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 5:36 pm

wsmac wrote:
Requires some people skills.

Sometimes you deal with frantic people locked out of their homes/cars.
Sometimes you are installing locksets for homeowners who are standing over you watching everything you do.

Other times, you are working in the shop dealing with all those little pins and springs :P

Check with the outfit you might be apprenticing with to see how much customer interaction you may be required to do.

Do they bill or do you have to take payment at the time of service? Will that bother you to address the issue of the charges directly with the customer?

Will you be working with a partner once you are familiar with the business?
Will you be able to work with a partner?

Is this a large firm (several vans, large clients as well as small clients - Office buildings vs homeowner).

Will you be on-call sometimes? Is this for 24 hrs?

Hey wsmac,

Here's what I know about the firm so far:

They are one of the bigger locksmithing firms in my area and they are looking to hire at least 2 more people. I have af helping out with a little bit of string-pulling. The job does have a customer service aspect about it, although nowhere near as extensive as anything in the service industry -for example, the restaurant business.

I'm not sure what their billing arrangements are; I think they have their own department for that. The job would begin with me shadowing with a partner until I "learn all the ropes" and then I'd be going to the job sites by myself. In the long run, I'd also become a certified Locksmith. I hear this line of work is recession-proof, now how's that for job security!

Most of their clientelle are government, business, and institutional, and yes, there are some dealings with homeowners. Weekends on call are on a rotational basis among the employees, that is there will be an on-call weekend about every 6 weeks.

Thank-you for bringing all those possibilities to my attention. An interview will be arranged yet and they'll be subject to my own Q's when I get there.

There is definitely an element of excitement about contemplating this new career endeavor. The position will be a full time that would allow me to leave the Disability plan that I'm currently subsisting on.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 5:52 pm

It would be a cool feeling to walk down the street, knowing you could enter any of the properties, if you were so inclined 8)

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 11:24 pm

Hey, that sounds great... mostly non-residential clientelle!

I've been offline for a few days.. it seems... anyway, hope the interview is a smash... as in success!

I just noticed you are in Canada.
Everywhere I've been up North there has been fun and interesting.
I like it.

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 4:25 pm

psych wrote:
It would be a cool feeling to walk down the street, knowing you could enter any of the properties, if you were so inclined 8)

LOL psych :lol:

You can call the Gatekeeper :wink:

Logan5
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2007, 10:19 am

You might enjoy the book "Keys to the City: Tales of a New York City Locksmith". You can listen to one of the stories from it on this website
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_E ... episode=75

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2007, 11:07 pm

Logan,

Thanks for the link and the info. I couldn't access any of the audio version but I got the ISBN# and I'll most certainly look up that book in one of our local sources.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 3:33 pm

Now I'm thinking of becoming a locksmith. :lol: I want access! I love urban exploration!

wiangube
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jan 2008, 11:45 am

Hi Papillon,

I'm sure you could get something good for your aprentice in here:

www.locksmithnewyorkcity.com