Finding and Keeping jobs - Tips and Advice

Page 2 of 15 [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

privateperson1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Feb 2006, 8:36 pm

Something that's easy to forget, is that some bosses goof off and that may be why there is an opening to begin with.

The ones that fear being dethroned want a dummy they can torture, not some super geek like one of us that the upper management might take notice of. If they are not there when they are supposed to be (i.e. extended lunch), than you may actually make them look bad!

If they see any possibility that this could happen then it means it's also possible they could one day lose their job to you. Sometimes this too is why people don't get hired!

I wonder how many of us have been told we are "Overqualified" for a job because of that.
Think about it...............................

On the bright side, much can happen in a month. You may even see their position pop-up later in your job hunt, and you can go apply for it. Just always be sure to do your homework on the company especially if they seem too eager.

Hunterton
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2006, 6:42 pm

I got hired on the spot by Publix. I showed up for the interview, got offered a bag boy job that paid $5.75hr. I now make $7.00hr

My boss, Emma says I'm very intelligant, and I talk way too much. Other than that, I'm a good co worker. I don't know of ANY discrimination about AS kids w/ publix. Thats why I love Publix. They're easy to work for.

Hunter

Astarael
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2006, 11:08 am

How about making a good impression first off? The minute I go somewhere to ask about a job position I look and feel nervous and usually end up walking out without doing anything. Plus I don't make eye contact at all if I actually do talk to someone and usually end up stuttering because I'm trying to talk too fast. How do I avoid doing that 8O Okay, I haven't done it every time but it sure puts out a bad vibe that ultimately leads to rejection. Any ideas? My friend can walk into a store and get a job within the click of her fingers just by talking to the people there, I want to know how to do that! And another equally bubbly friend got rejected about 10 times before landing herself a job.. I really have no idea why. :roll:

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2006, 8:20 pm

One thing I will say is:

COMMUNICATION COMMUNICATION COMMUNICATION

I've found out the hard way. Even if it's sometimes a problem for us Aspies, good communication is absolutely vital to keeping a job. Can be difficult working for a boss, for most bosses but keeping lines of communication fully open is crucial.

I say this because I was fired from a job in 1998, poor communication being given as one of the reasons. Not long after I lasted only one month in a job, poor communication being given as the whole reason.

Was made redundant from my last job 2 months ago. This was because of so many branches closing, and less workload, at least so they say. Now, while THEIR style of communication towards me was absolutely uncalled for, they too stressed the importance of ME keeping up good communication with THEM.

Bosses and work colleagues want and need to work with people they can freely communicate with, because we have to do our bit to at least look like good team players.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2006, 8:34 pm

A few more things, speaking purely from personal experience, but being an Aspie I hope it will be useful to people on this site.

I'm looking for a job, I'm clearly not the best person to ask for interview advice since I've now had 19 consecutive job interviews without getting a job offer (plus one where I was offered the job but felt simply uncomfortable taking it). That's 9 while I was still employed, and 10 since I was made redundant. But that's all besides the point.

I'm not giving advice on actual interview skills anyway, just things to look out for in interviews.

Number of interviewers: I'd say the more interviewers there are, the better. I've only ever been able to obtain jobs where there has been ONE interviewer but that means you are more isolated with that ONE person as a boss, and they'll feel more of a need to control you and hold sway over you. Preferable to have more interviewers as you'll be working closely for more people and it'll be a more team-oriented environment.

Size of company: I feel it's vital for me to be in a bigger company, since I have only ever been able to obtain employment in small companies and have been in isolated work environments partly as a result of that.

Profit making concerns or non profit making: I also think it's important that I get into a non-profit making concern and/or in the public sector. Kinda obvious, if it's profit making, the pressure of profit making (or always in my experience keeping the overdraft down) above all else will almost certainly be taken out on people like us.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2006, 2:50 am

numark wrote:
:? thank you notes? do people really use these? in all my experience of researching into 'access to employment' in the Uk i have not once come accross one, perhaps they are reserved for particular types of work/employment?

At least where I'm from, you have a better chance of being hired if you write a thank-you letter after the interview. It's more of an ettiquette thing, and it shows them that you're interested in working for them.

AS_Interlocking
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 May 2006, 3:00 pm

I interviewed two weeks ago for my dream job, and sent thank-you emails to the two interviewers who provided me business cards (and thus contact information to send a thank you to) immediately after returning from the interview. One of them sent me a reply thanking ME. I'm still waiting to hear back on the job.

Regarding AS, I'm very much a "not sure if I have it" but I know a lot of the AS tendencies fit me. I've also changed a LOT in college, and my AS traits are nowhere nearly as prevelant as they were just two years ago. The job I was interviewing for does work in my area of special interest, in a way that allows me to combine my major in college with my work/internship experience, in an environment where people do work individually following systems of rules. It definately plays up my strengths and minimizes my weaknesses! I just cross my fingers that I can get this job.

I really hope that some landmark legal action happens in the near future regarding AS in the workplace. It will be a great day when a company CANNOT fire, or not hire, or create an environment conducive to quitting, for someone who is actually the most qualified, best person at what they do, but doesn't make the people around him/her feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I should point out the employer for my dream job, from what I hear, is not known for such firings, I'm just making this comment in general because I know it has happened to so many people with AS, and is one of the reasons I don't want to find out for sure if I have it or not.

I think the Americans with Disabilities Act is a great start, but has not been used to the extent that it can be for people with AS. The "accommodations" will be different than for the more well-known disabilities--IMHO, instead of building a wheelchair ramp or jacking the work desk up a few inches to accommodate a wheelchair in an office, it would likely require a briefing for the immediate coworkers of the AS individual, letting them know in which ways their new colleague will be different, what types of things he/she may be sensitive to, what things he/she is very good at (their AS strengths), and what things they may not quite grasp, as well as an understanding of how this persons' interface with office politics may be very different than others. It may even require something like an IEP--an "Individual EMPLOYMENT Plan" that would specifically define acts which, if done willingly against the AS employee, would constitute harassment. Most of these things may even fall under existing harassment laws, but clarifying them and identifying the points at which people with AS become more susceptible to them would likely help curb problems in the workplace.

Any other thoughts on what the most likely "reasonable accommodation" would be, under ADA, for someone with AS?

jaguars_fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2006, 1:51 am

Hunterton wrote:
I got hired on the spot by Publix. I showed up for the interview, got offered a bag boy job that paid $5.75hr. I now make $7.00hr

My boss, Emma says I'm very intelligant, and I talk way too much. Other than that, I'm a good co worker. I don't know of ANY discrimination about AS kids w/ publix. Thats why I love Publix. They're easy to work for.

Hunter

I used to work for that company. I just left them after working 6 years, but I might try to return to that company in a few years.

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2006, 5:04 am

Hi all

I found this excellent piece of advice where I usually spend spineless wanna be boyfriends to get a clue.

http://www.heartless-bitches.com/bi/bit ... un06.shtml

Essentially she's saying you don't have to like or be friends with your co-workers or join in their pecking order politics.

Conversely your co-workers don't have to like you. If they're getting up your nose because you're not being social enough you can just calmly explain being social is not something you're good at, and you don't see it as all that important to get the job done - it's ok if they think you're weird or they don't like you.

Note this doesn't mean you get to be rude and obnoxious at work. I especially like the six dot points. Here's the main one for aspies.

Quote:
Expecting the world (and your office) to be FAIR, and incensed to the point of dysfunction when it isn’t instead of working on ways to change things, or work around them.

RachelLugiagirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jun 2006, 9:43 am

Yes I ve never heard of thank you notes helping in the uk either. I've heard learning the answers to set questions does, and finding out about a company. I've gone through many mock interviews for the employment service and still on the real thing they ask a question I can't answer and I cry. They usually want people who can make decisions quickly so answering something is usually better than silence. And I've generally found a great prejudice against disabled people despite the rules you should employ them so I don't know whether to get diagnosed or no. I can't lie and the worst question for me is Have you any questions to ask us? I think they would probably accept an honest no if you have shown interest and answered questions honestly. I like interviewing people myself and have learned to listen, look at them and show interest. I would hate to be stuck at a desk all day.The only jobs I have got is ones they have given me a trial period for.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2006, 10:08 am

That seems like a good idea for the future.

aspie4jc
Raven
Raven

02 Aug 2006, 3:39 pm

1. APPEARANCES!

Haven't seen anything on this yet in the forum. What about the way you dress for the interview!? It's all a part of first impressions. Do you know anyone else who works there? Have you been able to notice (or ask someone) about the company dress code? Try to dress and appear similarly for your interview without overdoing it.

There are certain exceptions to this. Once I went into a supermarket to pick up an application. I was only wearing a clean polo-shirt and a pair of denim shorts -- no holes or anything. The HR asked if I had time to meet with him; I answered some basic interviewing questions and took some kind of math test (don't remember exactly). So I passed the test and was hired.

I'm not saying you have to wear a dress or suit-and-tie just to fill out applications. But you DO want to make a good impression on anyone you might come into contact with at the company.

2. Thank-you notes:

I only read about it AND tried it this past Jan/Feb when I was job hunting. My mom gave the idea a thumbs-down, saying it wouldn't help any. So, just to give it a shot, I sent a short HAND-WRITTEN note on a thank-you card. I thanked the store manager for his time in interviewing me, asked him to pass on my thanks to his courteous employees who assisted me when I was there to apply, and also maintained interest in the job by letting him know I hoped to hear from him soon. The application/interview was on Monday (I was the first!), and I mailed my note Tuesday. I went in on Thursday just to see how the process was going, and he told me he was planning to call and ask about getting drug tested. From what I can tell, he wanted to hire me already on Monday!

mummadisaster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Nov 2006, 11:13 am

I too have never heard of a thank you note given after the job interview - they should be thanking their lucky stars you applied for their job in the first place!!

For me, the best way to practice your skills at being interviewed, is to apply for jobs with temporary agencies - I had often got a foot in the door for various jobs in the past by starting off as a temp. That way too if you are offered full time employment you will know what the people are like and what the job is like - it just makes things easier and a lot of the time the actual interview is surpassed because your boss already knows you and wants to keep you there.

My current job is as a shift manager - and that interview was probably the best and easiest I had even been through, mainly because I had worked for the same company previously as a temp (but different department) and my boss offered me the job at the actual interview because of the reports she had received about me.

Temping is great - I have done it many times since finishing school twenty one years ago - would recommend it to anyone!!

Jus

Sparkle1984
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Nov 2006, 3:05 pm

mummadisaster wrote:
I too have never heard of a thank you note given after the job interview - they should be thanking their lucky stars you applied for their job in the first place!!

For me, the best way to practice your skills at being interviewed, is to apply for jobs with temporary agencies - I had often got a foot in the door for various jobs in the past by starting off as a temp. That way too if you are offered full time employment you will know what the people are like and what the job is like - it just makes things easier and a lot of the time the actual interview is surpassed because your boss already knows you and wants to keep you there.

My current job is as a shift manager - and that interview was probably the best and easiest I had even been through, mainly because I had worked for the same company previously as a temp (but different department) and my boss offered me the job at the actual interview because of the reports she had received about me.

Temping is great - I have done it many times since finishing school twenty one years ago - would recommend it to anyone!!

Jus

I agree with that. I started my current (permanent) job as a temp. I was a temp for the first few months, then my departmental manager advertised a few permanent positions. I applied, although I still had to do an interview just like all the other applicants. Even though I didn't reach the required level for the job that was advertised (as I was only a recent graduate with not much experience), the manager offered me a position at a lower level and I accepted it.

mummadisaster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Dec 2006, 6:25 pm

Another success story, Sparkle! Hope it is going very well for you.

Jus

chimpy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2006, 8:16 am

I'm just being fired from ESO (European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere). Well, I would understand the reasons like: "You didn't show any relevant results of your research during general assessment." or "You was unable to publish a single paper after couple of months of research." OK, maybe I'm not smart enough to work there. However, I was fired for this reason: "We appreciate your skills, but we are convinced that you don't really fit into this environment." In other words, it means that there is no place for aspies in ESO. Well, it's not just a scientific institute. It's an intergovermental organisation.

In general, this also means, that I've just lost funding for my research. This usually happen after somebody important find out that your research is not feasible. That's how it's supposed to be. But in my case it's because I'm an aspie! Pretty silly.

So, everybody studying natural sciences, if you want to do science in your life, it's definitely better for you to stay in the academic environment. That's the real geek's oasis in the middle of NT's desert.