Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

QuantumToast
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2008, 2:04 pm

Well, I haven't actually been diagnosed with Asperger's, but I do have a lot of the symptoms and I got a pretty high score on the test... I'm wondering if it'd be worth mentioning "possible Asperger's Syndrome" on job applications?

They do generally have a slot for medical conditions in the "Equal Opportunities" section, but I'm not sure if I should mention something that I haven't got an official diagnosis for...

RockyMtnAspieMom
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Apr 2008, 3:33 pm

No! They are asking these questions to see if there would be any type of condition that would disable you from work performance. They also want to know if you have a heart condition (for example), diabetes, seizures (etc.) so they may act appropriately in an emergency!

There is no medical emergency for having AS. Alerting an employer on a job application would not be necessary. If you get the job, become friends with people and feel comfortable enough - tell 'em later on!

zee
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 10:29 pm

No. Once you get hired, and get comfortable, then maybe tell a trusted co-worker IF NEEDED, but I definately wouldn't volunteer the information.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 12:42 pm

I think it's best not to mention it on job applications unless you've been officially diagnosed.

QuantumToast
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Apr 2008, 3:56 pm

Thanks for the advice. :) I figured that if I put it on there maybe they wouldn't be allowed to turn me down just on the basis of me being "weird", avoiding eye contact, etc., but from the sound of it I was probably just misinterpreting what it said... on second reading it does sound more like it's referring to stuff in the workplace itself rather than recruitment. I think I'll be leaving it blank, then...