Aspie Business Proposal Challenge

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

blackomen
Toucan
Toucan

20 Dec 2009, 5:41 pm

Just looking for ideas for businesses that Aspies may have a better shot at running compared to NTs..

Briefly describe your business venture.. the only constraint here is that you may only hire other Aspies (ignoring discrimination and reverse-discrimination laws.) If you choose to outsource some of your work (i.e. to a consulting firm), then it also must be outsourced to an all-Aspie team.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 6:14 pm

Totally depends on the individuals and their skill sets. If I had two others who had the same interests and love of composition and arranging, I could do relatively well with a business providing music and soundtracks. If I had 6 with the love of antiques and curiosity to learn about odd things (with at least two being very skilled on computers) I could run a rather devastating online store, in my opinion. But I can't make any sort of generalized 'business proposal' in this sense.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

mediaguy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Dec 2009, 7:18 pm

You can own any business you want. It really comes down to if you have a business mindset or not.

As an aspie, we love to focus on our interests. Business owners do not have this luxury... businesses are composed of your primary skill/idea/product/service AND all the extra stuff you might not like: accounting, expenses, contacting vendors, seeking new clients, employees looking for direction, consumers demanding stuff, IT infrastructure, legal nonsense, etc. When one is starting a business, and it's a one man team - it's quite hard to be the jack of all trades. But it's 100% doable with determination.

I own an ad agency. Back when I started, I was a one man team and my special interest was Internet marketing. Even though my interest brought me into this business, I had to accept and learn that business is much more than just producing high quality advertisements (my product). My business needs to find clients, it needs to sell them into signing contracts, it needs to produce results, it needs to balance my books to make sure it can pay people, etc.

Therefore, if I focus most of my time and energy on my special interest, my business will fail. I must find people who are individually good at specific tasks - sales, accounting, client management. Then, I must be able to have a basic understanding and a general interest in the overall picture of what those people are doing. As the owner, you need to understand all parts of the business because you are the one that answers and signs off on the question "What step do We take next?"

At the end of the of the day, a business owner holds the vision of the business, not just the skillset or the product idea. Aspie or not... it's whether you can make a vision become reality when you're the only one holding it.

Hope this helps

asplint
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Dec 2009, 10:02 pm

Hello,

I just started my own life coaching and presenting business this summer, specializing in helping fellow Aspies do better with jobs, neighbors, classmates, friendships, relationships and the like. I also work with NTs who want to better understand the Aspies in their lives. That way, I'm leveraging my distinctive experience to help others, and doing what I enjoy.

Mediaguy, you are absolutely right. Running a business involves so much more than making and maintaining the product itself. In particular, legal paperwork needs to be written and filed, prospects need to be found and customers need to be pleased. Among other important things.

Makuranososhi, are you particularly interested in music and antiques?

Blackomen, have you a business proposal, too?

Cheers!

http://www.asplint.com

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 10:08 pm

To reply to asplint: Yes, those are both areas of interest for me, and part of how I currently make my living. My primary job is owning and operating an antique store; I write music for band and concert ensemble for additional money, and spent years teaching percussion before getting into antiques.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!