Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 2:22 pm

Posted this in another thread, but it got ignored, and I really want to hear people's thoughts on this:

I like children, I like introducing them to new things, reading to them, teaching them stuff when they're interested. For the longest time, I really thought having kids would be something worth doing. But lately, the following scenario pops into my head and I hate it:
An NT child who takes advantage of my AS, is rude, scornful, hurtful, and would basically make me think that I'm back in junior high, except I'm being tormented by my own kid. Junior high was a horrible experience, and for it to come full circle like that would take away my will to live.

Any thoughts?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 2:54 pm

Oh, ouch!

Well, the odds of having a totally NT child if you are AS aren't that great, depending on whether or not your spouse is NT. And, if you do, you'll have that NT spouse to negotiate between the two of you. If your spouse is AS, odds are you'll have a delightfully AS family.

The AS parents here with NT children have been fine. The children aren't any more embarassed by their AS parent than they would be by ANY parent - remember, at certain ages, ALL kids think their parents are full on embarassing, and by that time you just deal with it, because its part of your kids growing up.

I suggest working through the fear as it shows just how traumatic some of your memories are. You've got to get to a place where you realize it doesn't matter. You are who you are and what anyone else thinks - even if its your own child - doesn't matter.

Beyond that - heck, everyone who thinks about becoming a parent gets scared to death about some aspect of it. You wouldn't be sane if you didn't, because it's an awesome responsibility and the reality is that nothing in the world can prepare you for the experience. As with many things in life, you just forge ahead anyway and learn to cope as the challenges come along.

Fear is normal, but don't let fear hold you back from living.

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 3:09 pm

i'm only 18, but i already know that i don't want to have my own kids. i absolutely love kids and a lot of my friends have said that i would be a great mom.
it's not that i'm afraid of having kids, i would love to be a mom some day, but the scenario that pops into my head is having an aspie child who gets treated the same way i did in school. no child should have to go through that hell.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 4:10 pm

I'm not afraid of having kids and the possability that they could end up on the spectrum, per se. The thing is that you have to have sex to have a child, and I'm afraid to get close to a man, that way. I have a fear of sexual intercourse.

23 Dec 2009, 4:18 pm

FireMinstrel wrote:
Posted this in another thread, but it got ignored, and I really want to hear people's thoughts on this:

I like children, I like introducing them to new things, reading to them, teaching them stuff when they're interested. For the longest time, I really thought having kids would be something worth doing. But lately, the following scenario pops into my head and I hate it:
An NT child who takes advantage of my AS, is rude, scornful, hurtful, and would basically make me think that I'm back in junior high, except I'm being tormented by my own kid. Junior high was a horrible experience, and for it to come full circle like that would take away my will to live.

Any thoughts?

There are lot of things to worry about when you have AS but you know what, I heard even people off the spectrum worry too.

I worry about killing my baby on accident, I might drop it or not feed it enough. I might get a sensory overload but that's what ear plugs are for. My kid could grow up to hate me but I won't worry about that. That's the worse that can happen and there are other worse things too, my kid could end up doing drugs or sneaking parties in my home, drinking and driving, having sex at a young age and getting knocked up and of course my kid telling me "Why can't I have normal parents" and "I wish you guys were normal" and worst of all "You're an embarrassment." But this is all too soon to worry about and I should take a day at a time and worry about this stuff later when I get to that bridge.

Vivienne
Toucan
Toucan

23 Dec 2009, 11:54 pm

Children go through stages, all kids (I"m pretty sure).

As babies, your child will adore you - unconditionally. They'll need you immensely and when you meet those needs you'll become a God to them. Babies don't care how you think, behave, dress, smell, look - they just love you.

Children (3-9) also love you unconditionally. A NT child may begin to notice that you think differently about certain things, like when they try to tell you a joke maybe, but they don't assume anything. You'll be Mom, or Dad. They'll have no idea of your past struggles or whether you're confident or not. You just ARE. And if anyone says anything about you, they'll defend you fiercely.

Teenagers will go through a period of embarrassment. But don't indulge yourself - ALL teenagers find their parents embarrassing. They seem to be programmed to find fault in their parents. They still need them, and secretly still think they're parents have all the answers and can make everything better, but they'd never admit it to you.

As an adult, any child of yours would be able to understand you, and appreciate all you've done for them, and how difficult it would have been for you. They'd be your advocate in old age (if he/she turns out to be a good person) and possibly even an advocate for other people with ASD.

No parent is perfect, every parent on this planet is just a person who wanted to give love to a child. You can be a parent. And you can be a wonderful one!

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 11:13 am

The great thing about your kids is you get to teach them how to treat other people. It your home it would never be ok to pick on anyone, because it's your homw right? Your kid learns this young and that if they aren't going to behave they don't get to do or have the things they want what ever that might be. I've got one NT kid with asspie traits and one full blown nonverbal auntie and god help and on the kids at the park that pick on one of them when his brother is out there. The couldn't be any diffrent but they love and look out for each other. Alex likes to "teach" the other kids about austim by following them around until telling them how smart Jake is and how mean they are being until they say they are sorry or cry because they aren't as smart as Jake. Jake just sits on the other kids that are picking on Alex until I pry him off most of the time before he manages to fart on them but not alway. :oops: Nobody messes with ethier one of my boys anymore. :lol: I'm not a big fan of the Jr high style bullys ethier but the thing is my kids don't act that way because we taught better. I don't think I could live with what I put up with in Jr high in my home ethier but if my boys know if they tried to pick me up by my hair like that turd in the 8th grade did everyday for 6mos they would never ,ever see the light outside of there bed room again. Not that I think it would ever even cross there minds to be that mean to someone.