Recommended Reading on AS/Parenting

Page 5 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 5:11 am

Women From Another Planet?: Our Lives in the Universe of Autism by Jean Kearns Miller

Further to Aspergirls suggestion posted above, Rudy has a blog on Psychology Today @ http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/blo ... udy-simone

(The chapter by Lisa Iland in Asperger's and Girls put me off completely. If folks buy this book for your daughters please burn that chapter :roll:)

Shadowcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2011, 3:01 pm

"The Magic Feather"

Some Parents took their child out of public School and into a Private School in New York. the reason? He was misdiagnosed as having a Learning Disability after scoring low on a placement test in the first grade in a Public School. He was placed in Sepecial Ed, and didn't need to be there, because he was high functioning.

The Private School, said he had no such Learning Disability, and the test is extremely biased to identfying who has a Disability ,and who doesn't.

jdenault
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Apr 2011, 8:21 am

We had my son in and out of private and public schools. All in all, I found he did better in public schools. But this was in the 1950s and 1960s long before Aspergers was a known entity. They all tested his IQ and got upset and eventually angry when he wasn't interested in following their expectations.

TiredDaddy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 May 2011, 7:07 am

Does anyone have a book they could suggest for my 12 yr old son to read? His 7 yr old brother was just confirmed with Asperger's and he is having a hard time understanding that the meltdowns and behavior are not just a way of his brother trying to get out of trouble or being annoying. He thinks his brother is faking it so he can get attention or that he should just get over it. There are lots of books out there, but I haven't seen one that deals with this sort of issue. A good parents book written for parents without a medical degree would be nice too. We have been going through the process since March and have met with a therapist four times now, but everything she gives us to read is like a text book.

jdenault
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 May 2011, 7:30 am

TiredDaddy wrote:
Does anyone have a book they could suggest for my 12 yr old son to read? His 7 yr old brother was just confirmed with Asperger's and he is having a hard time understanding that the meltdowns and behavior are not just a way of his brother trying to get out of trouble or being annoying. He thinks his brother is faking it so he can get attention or that he should just get over it.
You have my sympathy. My son wasn't diagnosed until he was 48. He has three siblings, who resented him bitterly because he seemed to get away with flaunting all the rules in the house and subsequently got a disproportunately large amount of attention and often embarrassed them. I've read a lot of Asperger books and finally wrote SUCKING UP YELLOW JACKETS which might be good for you to read but is not recommended for a twelve year old. Mark Haddon's THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME is fiction but written by a man who worked with Autistic children. It is written from the point of view of the Aspergers child's mind. BORN ON A BLUE DAY by Daniel Tammet's memoir is quite readable if your twelve year old is a good reader. GOOD LUCK!

TiredDaddy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 May 2011, 9:01 am

THANK YOU! My 12 Yr old is a good reader so we will check those out. They get along good, but are brothers so naturally pick on each other from time to time.

jdenault
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 May 2011, 2:18 pm

TiredDaddy wrote:
THANK YOU! My 12 Yr old is a good reader so we will check those out. They get along good, but are brothers so naturally pick on each other from time to time.

Your 12 year old will be valuable in teaching your Asperger son how to function out in the world. You're fortunate the AS son is the younger one. Let's hope he will be willing to accept his older brother's advice. One thing people have to remind themselves of is that both boys have inherited underlying characteristics. Just hope they mesh. Good Luck!

TiredDaddy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 May 2011, 2:28 pm

They get along in spurts like all brothers. :lol:

stressedmama
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 May 2011, 3:07 pm

[Tired Daddy wrote:

Does anyone have a book they could suggest for my 12 yr old son to read? His 7 yr old brother was just confirmed with Asperger's and he is having a hard time understanding that the meltdowns and behavior are not just a way of his brother trying to get out of trouble or being annoying. te]

Like him, I'm in need of a way to get my son, age 9, to accept his Aspergers sister, age 12, and not hate her because of her quirks. He is quite mean to her and it creates so much tension in our home. Perhaps if there were a book he could read that would help him see that it really isn't her fault. We've tried to tell him this, but he just won't or can't accept it.

blondeambition
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 4:38 pm

If you want to look at a bunch of educational videos made by doctors, teachers, professors, and other professionals, you can check out my "favorites" on my YouTube channel (Autistic Kids Channel) my user name is vids4autkids1. There is an entire series of videos from a seminar presented by doctors and professors at Yale University in the U.S. in 2009 that is especially informative.

If you are considering medication, I would strongly consider Child and Adolescent Clinical Psychopharmacology Made Simple by John Preston, Psy.D., ABPP, John H. O'Neal, MD, and Mary C. Talaga, R.Ph., Ph.D. (Copyright 2006). It gives a simple explanation of medications given for different conditions, normal doses, and side effects.

www.freevideosforautistickids.com is my website with hundreds of links and thousands of educational videos for kids, parents and educators. Son with high-functioning classic autism, aged 7, and son with OCD/Aspergers, aged 4. I love my boys!

Sk8
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Aug 2011, 3:01 pm

annotated_alice wrote:
The Explosive Child
by Ross W. Greene, Ph.D.

Understanding and Helping Easily Frustrated, "Chronically Inflexible" Children. Brilliant book. Practical, positive parenting methods.

This book is a must read and is truly helpful.

Cenia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Aug 2011, 2:23 am

My 6 year old boy is gonna start 1 grade soon. Which book do I have to give to the new teacher?kindergarden was so hard for him, for us, for the last teacher to! We don't have an official diagnosis! English is not my first language , so I really need just one good book to inform the theacher why is my boy sometimes like from a wrong planet (he fits on mild asperger syndrome just like his father). Thx so much!

lovelyboy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Oct 2011, 3:34 pm

Our pdoc recommended a fiction book called "House rules", written by Jodi Picoult....After reading so many factual books on AS this was a gripping and insightfull book...it gives a good perspective on how his younger brother, mother and himself with AS experience the illness.
The book is easy to read, but 600 pages! It s about an Asperger boy who might be wrongly accused of murder, how his behaviour counts against him and the lenghts his mothers love will go through to try and protect her son, as well as the effect and toll this illness has on the lives of the people closest to him.

zette
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 4:39 pm

Why Johnny Doesn't Behave -- excellent book explaining how to create a good Behavior Support Plan for the IEP, with lots of example BSP's.

AspergerFiction
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2011, 10:32 am

Asperger Diaries: Jamie's New School

Ebook available FREE in most popular ereader formats from Smashwords:
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/106984

Fictional diary of Jamie (and his mother and sister) as he is about to start at senior school. No one realises that Jamie has Asperger's Syndrome - that is all about to change.

autismdad2011
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2011, 11:29 am

hey all, glad to find this corner of the forum. I've already posted a little about myself and my daughter here, ( oops, not allowed to post the URL as I am a newbie, but i'm sure if u click on my username u should find the topic. )

happy to see all the parents here sharing ideas and tips to deal with autism. I guess everyone has different experiences to share and what better way to hear from the parents themselves.

I also mentioned Stem Cell treatment in my above post, honestly I know there is "no cure" as such for autism but I am about to embark on a journey to find out more. in the next 3 - 4weeks I will be visiting a hospital that specializes in stem cell treatment and also treat children with autism. At this point I am not comfortable giving out the location simply because I want to go there without any pre conceived notion and find out more about the place...yes I know that's not a good way to go but I prefer it like this. I dont have a great deal of knowledge about stem cell treatment but i am not stupid either, I am hoping to gather information with an open mind.

My aim is to see exactly what happens and also talk to parents there who are currently getting the treatment. I am not considering this for my daughter, but i want to find out more about this treatment, something I told myself I have to do. I am more than happy to share what i come across and discover if anyone is interested here?