How do you discipline your children?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 11:25 am

For those with children on/off the spectrum do you discpline them differently? My mom makes my little sisters write I will not lie/whine *insert say/do something here* 20 or Y times (If you argue/whine it'll be 10 more (30 times) argue/whine (40 times) etc. Sometimes my parents use the time out method for 10 and 8 minutes (there ages). I don't think the writing helps since the 10 year old really agravates my mom at times. :-) Thanks for your input. :-)

Jimbeaux
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2010, 11:46 am

We usually take away privliges, like computer time, TV, or whatever.

I like the idea of writing. I will have to run that by Billy's mom.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 11:53 am

My son has a co-morbid that makes writing painful for him. I would never do that to him.

Also, I would worry about creating negative feelings associated with writing. I want my kids to think of writing as a good thing, not a bad one.

But, many people have used lines effectively, so I guess it depends.

Our discipline methods got set by the AS child, since he was the first. I think his needs and responses definitely affected our views on it all, but we don't find we can change things with the younger NT one, because she's pretty quick to call it unfair when we try something with her that we wouldn't dream of doing with him.

Overall, as long as there is consistent structure in a family, I'm not convinced it really matters. My younger sister was spoiled rotten (to my young eyes, lol) and turned out wonderfully as an adult. Long run, most people will emulate their adult behavior more by the models they have seen than by the forced teaching of consequences when a child. Although, that forced teaching can definitely make life today, as a parent, a little easier ;)