Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

laplantain
Toucan
Toucan

05 Aug 2006, 12:14 am

First we had an Asperger diagnosis from a neurologist. Now we have a PDD-NOS diagnosis from a psychologist. We are in the process of getting an eval from a developmental pediatrician, who seems to be the most thorough of the three, spending 2 sessions observing and 1 session testing. I am anxious to hear her results. She is awesome and is calling EI for us to push for more OT based just on what she has seen so far.

My question- If he does have PDD-NOS, can I still post here?

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

05 Aug 2006, 12:54 am

laplantain wrote:
First we had an Asperger diagnosis from a neurologist. Now we have a PDD-NOS diagnosis from a psychologist. We are in the process of getting an eval from a developmental pediatrician, who seems to be the most thorough of the three, spending 2 sessions observing and 1 session testing. I am anxious to hear her results. She is awesome and is calling EI for us to push for more OT based just on what she has seen so far.

My question- If he does have PDD-NOS, can I still post here?

Yes the very fact that its so hard for the doctor to say one way or another just
show how what ever the DX is its very much like aspergers. Treatment options are
the same.

thorn969
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2006, 2:10 am

Well... the home page does say, "Wrong Planet is a web community designed for individuals (and parents of those) with Asperger's Syndrome, Autism, ADHD, and other PDDs."

I think PDD-NOS may perhaps possibly be a PDD which is specifically listed up there.

So yup, I think you are allowed to continue using the forums.

And anyway, the rules are pretty loosely enforced.

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2006, 8:49 am

Observation:

We humans, and those who study the brain in particular, sure have a proclivity for classifying stuff. Brain science is really quite young and one doctor's pigeon hole may overlap with another's, thus further validationg the need for more than one opinion.
Ultimately, once you have sufficient input, the only opinion that matters is your own.

Sacred Cows make the tastiest hambuger.

visualize whirled peas

Last edited by oatwillie on 05 Aug 2006, 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2006, 9:45 am

PDD-NOS is a pervasive developmental disorder - not otherwise specified. It just means that the patient does not fit neatly into either the autism or aspergers catagory but is defintely a PDD. And PDD is the umbrella catagory under which autism, Asperger's, PDD-NOS and Childhood Disintigrative Disorder fall under (Rhett's also, perhaps). Also, PDD-NOS is NOT a milder form of autism or Aspergers which is what some people have the impression of. My son has received several diagnosis along the spectrum when he was younger (2 autism, 1 PDD-NOS, 1 Asperger's). So often this is based on the opinion of the diagnostician. The doctor who said PDD-NOS did so for technical reasons but said in his opinion my son presented as someone with autism but based on the patient history we provided which included normal language development then regression he felt he had to say PDD-NOS.

Pi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Aug 2006, 10:01 am

There are a couple adult/teenager PDD-NOSes on this forum as well to my knowledge.

PDD-NOS is definitely considered part of the Autistic Spectrum.