A must read for parents,

juststimming

She is very articulate and this letter is addressed to:

Dear "Autism Parents".....

claudia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2011, 2:30 pm

I read the letter very carefully because I'm very interested in what she has to say.
I'm from a country in which a concept like self advocating is far. I would like that my son was able to do this for himself, because of course I'm not his voice. I'm going to teach him how to use his voice. A letter like this is a breath of air because I'm used to pity and lack of help from State and school (my son is 4 and he's a preschooler).

"Remember, everyone reads, everyone writes, everyone has something to say is the current forward-thinking in special education, especially for children with complex access needs".

I wish it was true but in civilized Europe it still isn't so. Parents have to educate others to think that their child is not hopeless.
We still have to learn to give a chance to autistic children. Julia speaks like it was expected that she was worth a chance so I think her country is a step forward.
I'm thinking that if she can speak with parents and she's formally admitted to do this, it has to be something new in any case.
I don't know any organization in which something like this happens.
I'm not surprised that she has to face some opposition because they think "If she's here, she can't be really disabled".
I would say to Julia don't be angry, consider what you accomplished. You have to be strong without anger because you're doing something new and people need time to get used to this

jstriding
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Dec 2011, 6:55 pm

I read that letter too, discussed it with spouse. We ultimately chose to say our child "has" autism, versus "is" autistic. I have a brain wired for depression. I refer to myself as "having depression", I don't call myself "depressive."

Our philosophy, which not all subscribe to, is that we are more than our brain wiring and thus "has" is a more accurate description than "is." However, others may believe saying "is" is a way of embracing neurodiversity and I can respect that. When our child comes of age he is free to choose however he wishes to describe himself.