Why would he even THINK that this is a good idea?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Rolzup
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Apr 2013, 7:03 pm

We went to the park tonight. Things started out well -- Eldest was greeted by name by one of the kids there. Turns out this boy has Eldest's teacher from last year, and she's always talking about him and how good he was. So Eldest, this boy a year younger, and a boy of about his age (9) start playing together, running around and chasing each other around the park. I'm delighted, because we've been having a rough time at the park lately, with lots of inappropriate and/or defiant behavior.

(No playing with sticks, for example -- he swings them around recklessly when there's other kids in reach, and when he throws them he has NO control over where they go. Trying to throw a stick over the fence could easily end up hitting someone behind him. This is a struggle every time we go to the park now.)

And then Eldest decides that he needs to pee, so he goes off behind a tree...in the open, in a park surrounded by homes, so he's fully visible. Thankfully, I intercept him before this happens.

He then goes back to playing with the other kids, climbing on the monkey boars. Until he and the kid that's his age come over to me, with Eldest's head hanging and the other kid looking confused.

"He spat on me," he says.

Eldest spat on his hat, to be specific, because he thought that it would be "fun". It was genuinely not malice on his part; I really think that he thought that this was an appropriate thing to do. I apologized to the other boy, as did Eldest, and we went home early. I was angry, and confused, and upset, and kept telling him that was NOT okay, that this is the kind of thing that's going to make other kids not want to play with him.

I think that he understands that he did wrong; he's upset as well at this point, and we went through a few rounds of "I HATE myself," which of one of the worst things to hear.

And I am on the verge of tears myself, because I have no damned idea of how to help with this. He can't get away with being a cute little kid any more; he's going to be nine in a month, and he looks a year older than that. I've had to stop him from following families around asking for food, from grabbing toddlers and dragging them around bodily so that he can play with them...he's going to get himself in trouble at this rate, and soon.

If he spat on someone at school, for example? That would not go well. As it is, he did this thing that the other kids in his class are doing -- list everyone's name, and assign "Love, Hate, Hug, or Kiss" to each name. But his substituted "Kill" for Hate, and that's something that could go really, really badly. Thank god his teacher intercepted it, and knows him well enough that she didn't make a big deal of it.

How the hell can I help him?

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 9:35 pm

I just want to post how much I feel for you: we were in a not-dissimilar situation when DS was nine, and I did NOT handle it appropriately because we had no idea what was really going on.

The problem with social rules is there are so darn many of them, and it is so difficult to be explicit about each one. We're still navigating that. Unfortunately, DS had to learn some of this stuff the hard way, from kids not liking him and being jerks...but we did eventually come out of that OK, painful as it was (DS was suicidal over it at one point, so like I said, I'm not a source of advice.)

The only thing I can suggest is find as many appropriate models for behavior as you can - TV, books, whatever.

Gerb
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Apr 2013, 12:32 am

I would suggest you tell him spitting is not acceptable and next time he does it, the consequence will be.............. whatever hurts him most. I mean, spitting in someone's eye can give them an eye infection, specially someone that's not from his family and isn't accustomed to his germs. (btw, my daughter will sometimes do that to us if we are smothering her, hugging/kissing and my blood pressure just goes up! If I'm hugging or kissing her, I won't punish her because I know how much she hates hugs and kisses and unfortunately hubby and I are very huggy kissy, but if she ever did that to a stranger, she would be warned once, then punished the second time)

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 7:53 pm

Though you are likely already aware of this, a possible reason for your son doing such "socially inappropriate" things may be due to a lack of impulse control; whereas some brains process random thoughts and urges through a series of "social" and "practicality" filters, some brains fire thoughts so rapidly that they bypass these filters, sometimes even bypassing consciousness completely, and go straight from random thought to action. I have read that meditation can help strengthen this.

It may also help him to have some of the social rules generalized: for example, no part of his body, including any physical object produced by his body, should come into direct contact with any other person unless permission has been given or unless the person is in danger and the contact can alleviate this danger.

What also helps is having a patient, caring peer that would be willing to point out and correct his social errors without judging him for them. Is it possible for you to arrange a "peer mentor" or for him to join a social skills group therapy session?

In any case, best of luck and success to both you and your children.

Mom2Daisy
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Apr 2013, 10:28 am

I feel your pain. I think one of the hardest things for an NT parent is not being able to predict which social rules our kids aren't going to get. Personally speaking, it would never occur to me that dd would think spitting on someone is okay because she's never been told it's not okay. As we've dealt with this, it's gotten somewhat easier, I've just had to get much more concrete in my thinking. If she's going into a new situation I try to anticipate issues and just tell her "you cannot do *blank*, people don't think it's polite". Lol..I put it at about 50-50%, lord knows I still miss as often as I hit, but trying to remember she's not good at inferring unspoken rules certainly helps.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 10:52 am

Rolzup wrote:
We went to the park tonight. Things started out well -- Eldest was greeted by name by one of the kids there. Turns out this boy has Eldest's teacher from last year, and she's always talking about him and how good he was. So Eldest, this boy a year younger, and a boy of about his age (9) start playing together, running around and chasing each other around the park. I'm delighted, because we've been having a rough time at the park lately, with lots of inappropriate and/or defiant behavior.

(No playing with sticks, for example -- he swings them around recklessly when there's other kids in reach, and when he throws them he has NO control over where they go. Trying to throw a stick over the fence could easily end up hitting someone behind him. This is a struggle every time we go to the park now.)

And then Eldest decides that he needs to pee, so he goes off behind a tree...in the open, in a park surrounded by homes, so he's fully visible. Thankfully, I intercept him before this happens.

He then goes back to playing with the other kids, climbing on the monkey boars. Until he and the kid that's his age come over to me, with Eldest's head hanging and the other kid looking confused.

"He spat on me," he says.

Eldest spat on his hat, to be specific, because he thought that it would be "fun". It was genuinely not malice on his part; I really think that he thought that this was an appropriate thing to do. I apologized to the other boy, as did Eldest, and we went home early. I was angry, and confused, and upset, and kept telling him that was NOT okay, that this is the kind of thing that's going to make other kids not want to play with him.

I think that he understands that he did wrong; he's upset as well at this point, and we went through a few rounds of "I HATE myself," which of one of the worst things to hear.

And I am on the verge of tears myself, because I have no damned idea of how to help with this. He can't get away with being a cute little kid any more; he's going to be nine in a month, and he looks a year older than that. I've had to stop him from following families around asking for food, from grabbing toddlers and dragging them around bodily so that he can play with them...he's going to get himself in trouble at this rate, and soon.

If he spat on someone at school, for example? That would not go well. As it is, he did this thing that the other kids in his class are doing -- list everyone's name, and assign "Love, Hate, Hug, or Kiss" to each name. But his substituted "Kill" for Hate, and that's something that could go really, really badly. Thank god his teacher intercepted it, and knows him well enough that she didn't make a big deal of it.

How the hell can I help him?

Well I have a couple suggestions, not much though....try not to phrase it as 'this is why other kids won't want to play with you.' or other simular wording. Though I can see what is meant I had trouble with that as a kid. Basically I ended up thinking it was ok for other kids to bully me because I deserved it for doing things that make them not want to play with me. So that can send the wrong messege, it would be better to explain why spitting on someones hat is inapproriate......its not because then other kids wont want to play with him, it's because it could hurt their feelings and make them feel bad.

Basically its better to explain the effect the action will have on others, at least in my opinion I think that would have been more helpful to me as a child....then I might have learned that you can apologize and make up and such when you make a mistake. I thought basically if I did something that bothered people I then should just sit there and take any mistreatment that might be directed at me over it.

Also that does not sound like a very healthy project the assigning love, hate, hug kiss....was this something the teacher approved or something the kids made up themselves. I mean perhaps some of the other kids where assigning 'hate' to his name and it upset him.....I just cant imagine a project like that being allowed in school as it seems to kind of encourage ostracizm, I mean imagine if you're the person with the name most people assigned hate to? I mean I would say in that case the project should have never happened and whoever encouraged it is more at fault than your kid.

As for peeing behind a tree, I never think anything of it.........my brother has done it since he was a kid and still does, obviously he doesn't whip is equipment out in front of people he will walk somewhere more out of site. In my opinion its fine if its discreet, but that's up to you if you don't want to allow it.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 5:26 pm

Could he have been generalising incorrectly? What I mean is, a lot of kids will punch each other playfully on the arm in play. They also punch each other hostilely. Could he have concluded that spitting, as a usually hostile act, could also be done in play?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 6:04 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
...explain why spitting on someones hat is inappropriate......its not because then other kids wont want to play with him, it's because it could hurt their feelings and make them feel bad.

Basically its better to explain the effect the action will have on others, at least in my opinion I think that would have been more helpful to me as a child....then I might have learned that you can apologize and make up and such when you make a mistake.

Exactly. Patiently help him to learn to consider the feelings and well-being of others just as he would have them do in relation to his own -- spitting can cause infection, etc. -- then review things daily as he tries to learn to place considerations ahead of even his impulsive, impromptu stuff. Autistic or not, and as you have already mentioned, his days of accountability have now arrived.

Rolzup
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Apr 2013, 8:09 pm

I know that I didn't handle it well -- I was angry, upset, disappointed, embarrassed, and so forth. What I said to him was one of the worst possible things to say. What I tried afterwards was to set a rule -- think about it, and if it;s something that you wouldn't want someone to do to you? DON'T DO IT TO SOMEONE ELSE.

It's the thinking part that's the problem. He is so terribly, terribly impulsive right now.

And the list thing wasn't a school assignment. It was just a thing that the kids in his class were doing, and it's fairly age appropriate behavior...if terribly obnoxious. Which is a pretty fair description of MOST age-appropriate behavior for 8 year olds, really. But it's apparently derived from an adult game, which I saw on Archer a few years back, where you go through a list of people and sort them into three categories: Marry, *Ahem*, Kill.

Who taught one of the kids this game, I cannot even begin to guess. But at least they're sticking with "Hug" and "Kiss", instead of the adult alternatives.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 6:47 am

I'm no role model either.

My MO at that age was, "Do not participate." Whatever other kids were doing, I already knew I was going to screw it up, so I did not participate. I sat on a bench and read a book. I played alone, or with one other child that I knew well. I lived in terror of making a mistake, and I missed out on a lot of life.

OTOH, I didn't get into much trouble. There were almost no problems. I didn't do anything offensive.

I wasn't very happy, but I wasn't any trouble.