Page 5 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2018, 9:53 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Did you gut and rebuild the house yourself, Elsa?

I am not wonderwoman kraftie! :D

It is about 100 year old house built from local stone sat up on a hill looking down over a bunch of gorgeous valleys. I loved it because of the views. The house itself was a huge mess.

I did the redesigning and planning and choosing of materials, and some of the gutting (with a small child in a wrap on my back), but then I had workmen come and live here and blast it and redo it all. It needed a new roof, new floor, knocking some rooms together and tons of other stuff. It was quite stressful and ended up costing way more than planned as we found more things to fix... so I kind of fell out of love with the house for a long time....

:heart: Then it became home. :heart:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2018, 9:57 am

You certainly did a lot more than most people......

Are you near the sea, as well as near the mountains?

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2018, 9:59 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You certainly did a lot more than most people......

Are you near the sea, as well as near the mountains?

I so wish I was as I love the ocean more than anything.... but no sea in sight though.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2018, 10:01 am

You've done pretty well, though....

Do they clear the roads well in your area in winter?

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2018, 10:03 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You've done pretty well, though....

Do they clear the roads well in your area in winter?

No, I get snowed in. Last winter 4 times.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2018, 10:12 am

That sucks.....I'm fortunate I live a couple of blocks from shops.

50 cm of snow----is really not an unusual storm for NYC.

Were you able to stock up before the storms?

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2018, 10:18 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
That sucks.....I'm fortunate I live a couple of blocks from shops.

50 cm of snow----is really not an unusual storm for NYC.

Were you able to stock up before the storms?

Yes. Also, it is just my tiny lane that is snow covered and inaccessible by car. There is a larger road close by so I could take the bus, or bike or walk to shops. I just can't get my car out. I didn't really mind. I've got a woodburner so even when the power went we stayed warm.

NYC is very different. This is like "the shire" in lord of the rings. I would say the biggest drawback is it is hard to meet any remotely interesting people. I find people here very small minded and they haven't moved about much. They lived here their whole life. Cities are better for character and people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2018, 10:37 am

Ironically, in my area of NYC, there are people who are as provincial as any small-village type.

If you ever watch "All in the Family," with Archie Bunker, you would see what I mean. Archie was from Queens.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2018, 11:02 am

Yes, I know what you mean. That is a funny part of cities, enclaves of people and cultures that don't mix much despite being right next to eachother.

I have never lived anywhere longer than for 6 years. think I will always live in the countryside now but in the distant future we'll probably live in Maine. It will be hard to leave this house though.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2018, 11:21 am

What part of Maine?

CWard12213
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2018, 12:53 pm

elsapelsa wrote:
CWard12213 wrote:
elsapelsa wrote:
CWard12213 wrote:
This might seem like a weird parallel, but let's say you buy your dream house. It's everything you ever wanted. After about a year there, it turns out you just can't afford it. You have to sell it and move. The house you move into is fine. There might actually be some things you like more about it. But there are still things you miss, things that a lot of other people have in their houses, and sometimes you wish you had those things too. You still aren't homeless, and you are thankful for that. You try to appreciate your house for what it is, and usually you can do so. But the sting of seeing, or even knowing, what you are missing still hurts sometimes.

This couldn't be further from what I think and feel. I feel like not only did I get my dream house but after a year or two I realised that it had all these secret passages that took me to all my favourite places.... and down a corridor there is a magic door only I can open which takes me to this special tower room where (despite my house being deep in the countryside) I have an endless clear view of just ocean and sky (which is my favourite thing in the world).

Now, I am that mum who is constantly having other people's kids over. I spend a lot of time going out with my daughter's neurotypical friends, our house is the house where all the sleep-overs happen. I am the one who lets them organise little parties (without occasion). So I do have lots of first hand experience of 8 year old girls. And I never ever ever ever feel like I am missing something. Quite the contrary.

Sure, my daughter might be "mild" although I don't really think that is here or there as there certainly have been long boughts of time where there was nothing mild about how it felt to be her.

That may very well be, just notice the part of your post where you said "after a year or two." The idea of grief typically implies relatively new and unexpected news. You have had time to process and understand the meaning of your situation, but someone who hasn't, and especially someone who doesn't fully understand ASD might not have this perspective and thus may still experience grief, even if it is perhaps misguided. Emotions are not always rational after all, especially when people's children as involved! Particularly given the recent diagnostic changes from DSM-IV to DSM-V, I think a lot of people still perceive ASD as "classic autism" and think it means their child will be disabled.

Oh, my bad. We are 3 months post diagnosis. I only ever understood autism as a spectum about 6 months ago.

No idea why I wrote 2 years.... possibly because I do actually live in my dream house and it actually took me about 2 years to fall in love with it after gutting it and redoing it so I was thinking of my actual house.

I still think a lot of this is specific to your experience though. If you daughter is 8 and was diagnosed recently, you kind of already knew who she was to some extent. I first developed concerns about my daughter having ASD when she was 12 months old and she wasn't walking or talking at all. That early on, it is hard to assess severity or developmental course. I absolutely feel that I went through a grieving process, because a lot of what I expected the future to be like was suddenly uncertain. What hurt the most was not being sure if she would develop much of a relationship with my son, who was SO excited to meet her. She is now still just 21 months old, and I'm not totally sure she has ASD, but seeing some of her development since then has helped me feel a lot better. I can be a bit prone to worst case scenario thinking, but I will never forget the first time the thought "she might have ASD" popped into my head. I only slept about 2 hours because I was up all night crying thinking about all the experiences I wanted for her that I wasn't sure she would have. I don't know what you call that, if not grief.