My dad made me jaywalk across busy oilfield road.

Page 3 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 12:25 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'm not slapping labels on his parents whatsoever.

I'm sharing info about the ways religion can manipulate people into being abused.

It's in reference to his own fears about going to hell.

That message could be from clergy, or from any part of his community.

I'm certainly not criticising his faith or his family, just sharing some videos that are relevant, in my opinion, to the types of concerns he has raised (e.g., he said in the OP that he feels gaslit).

I deserve Hell.I know religions can manipulate people and I think any religion will do it to at least some degree.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 12:51 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
If he thinks it's so funny, do it to him the next time he gets out of the car.

Unfortunately this is why many people need to estrange themselves from their parents and endure a life of hardship.

I dont have legal title to the cars so if I threatened to leave him at a gas station with a car he could take that as threatening to steal the car which would make the situation worse.I would be homeless if I could but he told me that I would be dead in 6 months if I was homeless.In the church of Christ we always have to be willing to give our fellow members unlimited chances in order to be forgiven by Jesus.I would have no phone either because they own it too.I also dont have a bank account thats mine.

it sounds like he’s not committed to the church or its values. Have you ever heard of religion-based gaslighting or virtue signalling?

ya I have.I am very aware of religious gaslighting like what happens in cults.But if he is not committed to the church of Christ that does not mean I have to stop being a Campbellite.Everyone makes mistakes every day.I have to be willing to forgive and give him unlimited chances or I will be thrown into the abyss on my death day by Jesus.Jesus said to Forgive 70 times 7.But from my best impression he is very convinced of church of Christ values.

Forgiving people and giving them chances does not prevent you from building self-protective walls, and does not require you to live with, and continue to interact daily with, people who are toxic to you. In fact, I would argue that continuing to construe those requirements as meaning you stay under their control is corroding the ability of both you and your parents to actually forgive and give chances to each other in any true and meaningful way. With space, you could be mentally healthier and thus exercise more true and deep forgiveness. The toxic dynamics between you and your parents are doing none of you any favors, and may well risk salvation for all of you, as resentment continues to corrode your heart.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 12:52 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I can function just fine.....its just the fact that I am unemployable so my plan if I have to support myself independent of them is to be a church of Christ preacher on church staff aside from being starting my own church of Christ since that is very-in demand career field right now.My best option may just to be a church of Christ preacher that works for a church instead of one that starts his own.i am working on buying a plot of land to live on in the country.Mom constantly sides with dad and says I am horrible and she kicked me out but I am back.Mom is worse than my dad in many ways.She thinks I am lazy and everything is my fault and that I am a horrible son.

It sounds like you have plan and I hope works out for you. I think prepare yourself to live independently. I can recommend a little exercise for you. Try and put yourself in your parent's shoes and view yourself through their eyes. What are they seeing when they look at you and how you live? Are they sociopaths, poor parents or are they anxious and worried about you?

I want you to give them an opportunity to still be in your life as you have spent 30 years with them and its a big step to leave them. If after reflecting and you do realise they love you please stay in touch with them as having them in your life to fall back on is not a bad thing if they demonstrate they are supportive. In the meantime make plans to leave home as it sounds to me your parents are ready for you to fly the nest.

Well honestly it could be that they both could be on the spectrum my therapist thinks dad is and they are both sociopathic at times.I plan on leaving home at the first opportunity.I am trying to get a group of room mates together and move somewhere.I think they honestly mean well.However they did tell everyone in the holiday letter that I still live with them so maybe they are more on the psychopathic side or just plain ignorant.They dont think autism limits me and they always tell me I can do anything I want.But I think they do the best they can.I think my mom is prolly on the sociopathic side because she made me bleed one time in a struggle that she started when she laid her hands on me when i was not physical or anything.My dad is constantly hugging touching and kissing me without my permission and I called the cops one time and they thought there was nothing to it even though one of my teachers said any time you touch someone without their permission it could be construed to be a violation of the law.

I'm sorry you had to go through this with your parents. The comment about autism shouldn't limit you and that you can do what you want means they might (in their own way) want what's best for you.

A lot of the struggles you talk about with your parents I have heard similar stories with NT parents. I think distance will make the heart grow finder and it might improve your relationship with your parents. If their behaviour was sociopathic and they are self-absorbed then leave them and stay in touch as much as you feel comfortable.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 1:08 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
.My dad is constantly hugging touching and kissing me without my permission and I called the cops one time and they thought there was nothing to it even though one of my teachers said any time you touch someone without their permission it could be construed to be a violation of the law.

Common familial touching among immediate family members is not what the teacher was talking about. I don't feel like I can write a super detailed explanation here, but will try a quick summary to help you understand the lines better. Your sentence makes it seem you might not understand what the teacher meant.

Legal & normal
Note these may not always be appropriate and considerate; people who care about each other should respect it when you tell them you don't like it; but ignoring the request doesn't break a law
Father hugging son
Mother hugging son
Siblings hugging
Family members grabbing arms, touching each faces, etc
Family members kissing top of head, checks, etc (but not mouths)
Friends and associates occasionally touching each other lightly
Very close friends and associates hugging

Not legal / not normal
Parents touching an older or grown child in private areas (ie normally covered by underwear)
Parents touching any age child in private areas for pleasure (as v helping a baby or toddler with hygiene)
Siblings (near or past the age of puberty, at least) touching each other in private areas
Anyone intentionally and deeply kissing you on the mouth or beneath clothing without permission

Possibly illegal / depends on situation
Strangers hugging you without permission

I'm not an expert on all the distinctions that can come into play, but hopefully this can serve as a rough guide to ease future confusion. Other posters are free to correct me if I wrote any parts wrong; I kept seeing scenarios that would make what I wrote incorrect, but all those gray areas can trap one fast.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 1:32 am

cyberdad wrote:

We don't know the full story with the OP's parents so it may be unfair to slap labels onto his parents

I watched a little of the videos and they do not require you to label someone. She basically says not to let someone off the hook for bad behavior just because they've wrapped themselves in religion, or may be a religious leader. I would agree with that.

Separately, I will note that forgiveness is different than letting someone off the hook. People can be held accountable and forgiven in the same breath.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 1:46 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

I'm sharing info about the ways religion can manipulate people into being abused.

I'm certainly not criticising his faith or his family, just sharing some videos that are relevant, in my opinion, to the types of concerns he has raised (e.g., he said in the OP that he feels gaslit).

I deserve Hell.I know religions can manipulate people and I think any religion will do it to at least some degree.

Why do you think you deserve hell? I mean as far as I can tell you seem like an ok person, just stuck in a crappy abusive situation with your parents...and that's not your fault.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 3:26 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

We don't know the full story with the OP's parents so it may be unfair to slap labels onto his parents

I watched a little of the videos and they do not require you to label someone. She basically says not to let someone off the hook for bad behavior just because they've wrapped themselves in religion, or may be a religious leader. I would agree with that.

Separately, I will note that forgiveness is different than letting someone off the hook. People can be held accountable and forgiven in the same breath.

I have religious parents as well (Anglicans/Wesleyans) and I could easily pick out times they did things to me that were much worse than the OP. When they time came it was a mutual decision to leave home,

Time heals old wounds and I have been able to reflect and understand why they behaved the way they did,

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 7:26 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I mean as far as I can tell you seem like an ok person,

:roll:

Honestly, i dont care if his father really is trying to play a real life game of frogger with him, or is a little bit too 'touchy feely' in a creepy way. Every post of his either strikes me as unhinged, clueless, or just plain weird. Some of it is so unreal it's almost as if he's a troll. I guess it does really get weird out there in parts of Texas.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 10:41 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Why do you think you deserve hell? I mean as far as I can tell you seem like an ok person, just stuck in a crappy abusive situation with your parents...and that's not your fault.

I deserve Hell because I am a sinner by biblical standards.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 2:40 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
.My dad is constantly hugging touching and kissing me without my permission and I called the cops one time and they thought there was nothing to it even though one of my teachers said any time you touch someone without their permission it could be construed to be a violation of the law.

Common familial touching among immediate family members is not what the teacher was talking about. I don't feel like I can write a super detailed explanation here, but will try a quick summary to help you understand the lines better. Your sentence makes it seem you might not understand what the teacher meant.

Legal & normal
Note these may not always be appropriate and considerate; people who care about each other should respect it when you tell them you don't like it; but ignoring the request doesn't break a law
Father hugging son
Mother hugging son
Siblings hugging
Family members grabbing arms, touching each faces, etc
Family members kissing top of head, checks, etc (but not mouths)
Friends and associates occasionally touching each other lightly
Very close friends and associates hugging

Not legal / not normal
Parents touching an older or grown child in private areas (ie normally covered by underwear)
Parents touching any age child in private areas for pleasure (as v helping a baby or toddler with hygiene)
Siblings (near or past the age of puberty, at least) touching each other in private areas
Anyone intentionally and deeply kissing you on the mouth or beneath clothing without permission

Possibly illegal / depends on situation
Strangers hugging you without permission

I'm not an expert on all the distinctions that can come into play, but hopefully this can serve as a rough guide to ease future confusion. Other posters are free to correct me if I wrote any parts wrong; I kept seeing scenarios that would make what I wrote incorrect, but all those gray areas can trap one fast.

One of my family members tried to grab my crotch but I dont think he knew what he was doing since he is elderly and I was concerned about my safety after that.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 9:29 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
One of my family members tried to grab my crotch but I dont think he knew what he was doing since he is elderly and I was concerned about my safety after that.

I think we all agree that you need to put some distance between yourself and your extended family as it is clearly creating a toxic environment for you.

Secondly if you are experiencing sexual or physical assault from your immediate or extended family then you need to speak to a counsellor in your local police as it comes across as you are not sure. They will be able to advise you if you are at risk,

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 11:54 pm

theprisoner wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I mean as far as I can tell you seem like an ok person,

:roll:

Honestly, i dont care if his father really is trying to play a real life game of frogger with him, or is a little bit too 'touchy feely' in a creepy way. Every post of his either strikes me as unhinged, clueless, or just plain weird. Some of it is so unreal it's almost as if he's a troll. I guess it does really get weird out there in parts of Texas.

Naive and possibly prone to misinterpreting words and situations is what I see. Which is not unusual with severe ASD, especially if parents haven’t known how to help their child.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2021, 10:20 am

cyberdad wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

I think we all agree that you need to put some distance between yourself and your extended family as it is clearly creating a toxic environment for you.

Secondly if you are experiencing sexual or physical assault from your immediate or extended family then you need to speak to a counsellor in your local police as it comes across as you are not sure. They will be able to advise you if you are at risk,

I wish it was that simple for me.Well my parents told me that they will be done with me forever if I go to the police and will possibly kick me out forever if I go to the police.My dad pointed his air rifle at me so I called the cops and they did not think it was a big deal.My dad said he would kill me and the cops did not take me seriously.The cops told me to call them if he points a real gun at me.But I am afraid because my parents may kick me out forever in that situation.He has brandished real guns many times at people and mom defended him by saying thats just how he kids around.My mom told me that her love for me is condtional and last night she told me she did not love me anymore.I have literally nowhere to go because I have no money or I would be somewhere else so fast.My mom says she hates me and my parents call me the Devil.My parents said they will kick me out if it means their marriage will be saved so I may wind up kicked out and institutionalized regardless.My grandfather was going to murder me and kill himself in a murder-suicide so i had to physically take away the guns away from him before he could shoot me so I had to have him locked up for the rest of his life.My dad threatens to kick my butt in anger and physically remove me from the house.He also threatened to run me out of the house.I had my grandfather locked up for the rest of his life over the attempted murder-suicide.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2021, 2:47 pm

I am exploring my options like maybe applying for Section 8 but the wait time may be 3 to 5 years and I want to get on all the welfare programs I am legally entitled to but my parents wont let me.My dad put a lit cigar within a inch of my skin at least 3 times and I almost called the cops then but I did not want to get kicked out on my birthday.My mom hit me last night.I almost called the cops but my dad said they would be done with me for all time if I did.Are there any good publically funded facilities for poor aspies in Arizona,Colorado,Utah, or California?I dont know how that works.Worst case scenario I may just wind up homeless in South Florida.How are the services for aspies in California?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2021, 4:53 pm

i had to call the cops on my dad today because he kicked out without warning.The cops said they have to give a months notice next time.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 12:18 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
i had to call the cops on my dad today because he kicked out without warning.The cops said they have to give a months notice next time.

I'm so sorry you are going through this??
Please fastrack alternative accommodation

What did the cops say about your father threatening you with a gun?