Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

tygereyes
Raven
Raven

12 Aug 2007, 3:01 pm

Hey, everyone. I'm new here, but old to PDD's. I have been trying to find laws to back up social concerns in the school system. Hard to find for that particular issue.

But, i found something that might serve us all. Our public schools in America always have a MIssion statement in the front of their student handbook. Mine is full of things that are social!! !! ! Read your schools mission statement carefully and use it to your full advantage to get those social goals met. If concessions for a child with disabilities need to be made in order to fulfill the schools own mission statement for that group of kids, we may actually be able to argue it with their own words!

Good luck with the new school year!! !! !

tyger

sandra3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2007, 5:03 pm

yea, right now my mom is going to represent me in my IEP and even though is my last year of highschool shes going to make sure they accomodate me the way they should especially since im the only kid at school with a multiple learning disabilities and autism. they have severely autistic, and down syndrome kids at school and people with other learning disabilities,but they dont have waht i have and they're more NT.

SweXtal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2007, 12:23 pm

We have a quite good social system here in sweden, if you have the guts to challenge it. It may seem nice on the paper but without some hard skin on your nose, you're fried chicken. I can say that, after 10 years wordfight with the social security systems.

For example is plain ADHD not entitled by law to a personal assistant, whilst AS is. AS is a high function authism normaly belonging to a normall class, whilst a severe case of ADHD can destroy a persons self esteem. I'm entitled to personal assistant, even though I'm 37...

I should have a Major degree in writing formal applications, because most handlers thought I am a lawyer. Not. I'm a computer geek.

tygereyes
Raven
Raven

16 Aug 2007, 5:06 pm

[quote="SweXtal"]

For example is plain ADHD not entitled by law to a personal assistant, whilst AS is. AS is a high function authism normaly belonging to a normall class, whilst a severe case of ADHD can destroy a persons self esteem. I'm entitled to personal assistant, even though I'm 37...

That is what i wish we had here. I think that most people with dx in America's DSM-IV could benefit from someone to help with difficult things like scheduling out chores, paying bills, etc.etc. the needs are so varied.

But, i cannot see it happening. I have been wondering if with enough participants, though, whether people with dx in the dsm-iv could conceivably pay premiums into their own insurance company, specifically for mental health needs. I'm no accoutant, but other groups do it.

tyger

tygereyes
Raven
Raven

16 Aug 2007, 7:56 pm

[quote="SweXtal"]

That is what i wish we had here. I think that most people with dx in America's DSM-IV could benefit from someone to help with difficult things like scheduling out chores, paying bills, etc.etc. the needs are so varied.

But, i cannot see it happening. I have been wondering if with enough participants, though, whether people with dx in the dsm-iv could conceivably pay premiums into their own insurance company, specifically for mental health needs. I'm no accoutant, but other groups do it.

tyger

HandsFull
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Aug 2007, 8:24 pm

I love that advice! Our main, gifted and special ed mission statements have changed recently. And they will be beautifully copied and bolded on the top of my folder at our next G/IEP meeting! 8)

tygereyes
Raven
Raven

17 Aug 2007, 8:36 pm

thanks, handsful. I'm writing ammendments to add to my daughters iep this weekend, according to the school's statement. I can hardly wait :D

I know you understand why, lol.

Good luck!
tygereyes

SweXtal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2007, 9:33 pm

Schedule? What? Oh, you mean that important meeting i was supposed to be on, sorry, I was busy scratching a fish's belly.

Without my excel sheet's I'm dead meat....

tygereyes
Raven
Raven

18 Aug 2007, 11:59 am

SweXtal wrote:
Schedule? What? Oh, you mean that important meeting i was supposed to be on, sorry, I was busy scratching a fish's belly.

Without my excel sheet's I'm dead meat....

If only i knew exactly what that meant....

I only know what i would've benefitted from that helps my daughter be much more competent than i at twelve. Making her life around what she needs to do is what i'm teaching her....but she benefits from order....surprisingly, so have i benefitted from the very thing i gave her.

can you explain your comment? i'm sorry i dont quite understand.

tygereyes