Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 7:21 am

"It's Just a Plant"

- Emerson

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

12 Sep 2007, 7:43 am

I notice we have a thread on this already.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... ic&t=43316

Also while alot people on WP may personally think marijuana is a benign drug thats not the reality for alot of users. Its one of the most effective chemicals at inducing an ADD like state. Marijuana use and productivity are inversely related.

"Its just a plant" so is tobacco and opium.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 11:12 am

I'm not advocating one way or the other. There are plenty of people here willing to do that. It's not about the drug, it's about the information. Dozens of junk threads headline on the home page everyday, and many of them are duplicates. Some members post numerous duplicate threads consecutively. I'd like to see more done to promote useful information, but mine is probably the minority opinion.

Personally, I don't think people should smoke pot, or anything else for that matter, but I think it's a waste of time for to try to tell them that, and besides, I'm a fine one to talk.

You and I frequently disagree, TM1. Your emphasis seems to be on quantity, number of members, and mine on quality of posts. As I see it, that makes us complimentary. Your background in psychology rivals and compliments my own. You're strong on diagnoses and behavioral/chemical models, and I'm strong on relationships, transactional analysis, and Rogerian models. Of course, I'm ready to move to behavioral/chemical models as soon as someone becomes a threat to themselves or others. I feel like such complimentary differences are what diversity in general and neuro-diversity in particular are all about.

- Emerson

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 11:19 am

The coca plant which gives us cocaine is just a plant and years ago, Coca Cola used to put it in their soft drink. No kidding.
Actually, if they put cocaine back into Coke, it would really cause their sales to skyrocket!

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 11:57 am

If refined white sugar came on the market today it would have to receive FDA approval as a food or a drug and they would probably approve it as a drug since it behaves in the body more like a drug than a food. (So I've heard. I'm not so strong on neuro-chemestry. TM1?)

- Emerson

psych
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 12:25 pm

MrMark wrote:
If refined white sugar came on the market today it would have to receive FDA approval as a food or a drug and they would probably approve it as a drug since it behaves in the body more like a drug than a food. (So I've heard. I'm not so strong on neuro-chemestry. TM1?)

I wouldnt be so sure about that. Finance & business is probably as importanmt to getting FDA approval as human health & longevity. They would probably denounce it as potentially dangerous and tell us all to eat aspartame instead.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 12:29 pm

Zsazsa wrote:
The coca plant which gives us cocaine is just a plant and years ago, Coca Cola used to put it in their soft drink. No kidding.
Actually, if they put cocaine back into Coke, it would really cause their sales to skyrocket!

Coca leaves still provide the mysterious 'natural flavouring' in coca-cola. They process it on an offshore island to remove the cocaine, before final processing and adding to the drink. Although suspiciously, the actual coca strain used is known for having a particularly high alkaloid content.

A coca-free alternative formula was used for some time, but it wasnt as popular, people drank pepsi instead. So they put the coca flavor back and run the 'its the real thing' marketing campaign.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 5:10 pm

MrMark wrote:
Dozens of junk threads headline on the home page everyday, and many of them are duplicates. Some members post numerous duplicate threads consecutively.

The simple fact is if anyone other than a moderator made the precise same thread a day apart in another sub-forum one of them
would be locked. So to others this will appear to be abuse of authority.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 7:11 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
MrMark wrote:
Dozens of junk threads headline on the home page everyday, and many of them are duplicates. Some members post numerous duplicate threads consecutively.

The simple fact is if anyone other than a moderator made the precise same thread a day apart in another sub-forum one of them

Okay, let's check that. Who feels this appears to be abuse of authority.

(One could say, based on your position on the marijuana issue, that there appears to be a conflict of interest. I don't think that's the case, I just think one could say that.)

- Emerson

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 8:08 pm

MrMark wrote:
TheMachine1 wrote:
MrMark wrote:

Okay, let's check that. Who feels this appears to be abuse of authority.

(One could say, based on your position on the marijuana issue, that there appears to be a conflict of interest. I don't think that's the case, I just think one could say that.)

My position is not the issue its the position of the person making the spam posting to promote their philosophy/product/goal/etc. I saw Alex lock threads and warn poeple for making the same duplicate threads in the past. No question its not acceptable.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 9:31 pm

Well okay then. (It's not a philosophy/product/goal/etc, it's just information.)

- Emerson

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 9:50 pm

MrMark wrote:
Well okay then. (It's not a philosophy/product/goal/etc, it's just information.)

It means from a practical standpoint since your second in command you have rewritten the rule book to now allow all other members to make duplicate threads in a short time interval to. I think its best I resign as a moderator now.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 10:11 pm

...and here I was considering consulting you about the new, unwritten rules. It was so much easier for me back in the day when I just read a post and read the rules and determined whether or not the post fit the rules. The rules say that promoting your own site is only permitted once you've contributed useful content to the forums. So, in the spirit of that rule, a certain amount of promotion of self or others is permitted after other substantial contribution. But I recognize that I am far from the final authority when it come to the new, unwritten rules.

A member asked me yesterday, "What do I have to do to quit WP?" I told him he didn't have to do anything. Such choices are up to the individual. I don't know if you're resignation would be in the best interest of the site or not. Sometimes the individual has to sacrifice personal interest for the sake of the collective, but sometimes collective interest has to be sacrificed for the sake of the individual. No one can tell another when to do which.

I've not rewritten rules. (I did post an amendment at the request of a member. More of an overt clarification really.) I've conceded the point. What more do you want?

- Emerson

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2007, 8:15 am

We need written rules so that everybody knows exactly where they stand.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.