Unsure of 3 yr speach mark,how can i know if Kanner or AS

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Epimonandas
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2005, 10:26 am

Is there a way to tell the difference if you are not absolutely certain of the 3 year old mark?

I thought I would post this here figuring parents might be able to answer this question better. I am not a parent. My question revolves around this 3 years of age landmark between AS and Kanner's. My mother's memory is not super strong as far as what I did and did not do. She is somewhat sure I spoke, though I mumbled a lot and was not fully comprehensible. She also said my brother and nephew spoke better than I did at comparable ages. I don't know whether that would fall more in Kanner's or Aspergers develoment issues more. I also ask this question because when the psychologist asked about my 3 year marks the answers were a little fuzzy. But she seemed more concerned about the imaginative play issue, say that I would sit by myself for long stretches of time making motorcycle motions with my hands over and over again and that I generally prefered older company and would often prefer play by myself. With respect to these examples, especially the play bit, could there be any doubt as to which one I fit the best, Kanner's or Aspergers?

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2005, 2:16 am

The DSM-IV 299.80 definition for Asperger's includes an absense of delayed speech development. If your speech development was substantially delayed then an AS diagnosis would be unlikely.

The doctor is probably more concerned with whether or not you meet the criteria of section 299.00{B} for an autism diagnosis. I assume she wanted to find out whether your motorcycle motions meant you were pretending to ride a motorcycle (which is imaginative or symbolic play) or if you were merely engaged in a repetitive motion. Assuming you met all of the other conditions for an autism diagnosis, then the absense of imaginative play would be a fast-track to that diagnosis. If your play was in fact imaginative, then the doctor would have to evaluate your speech and socialization capabilities at that age, which (as you've noted) is difficult if your parents can't remember your development milestones.

At first glance, it would look like the decision is between autism and PDD-NOS, not autism and AS.

Then again, I'm not a doctor....

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2005, 1:58 am

I would say it was a toss up between AS and PDD-NOS. Anyone who knows epi knows he loves to talk, whether people are listening or not, whether it is relevant or not, whether it is appropriate or not. This is much like talking at people than to people. An autism diagnosis is highly highly unlikely.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2005, 11:10 pm

I talk too much. Doesn't make much difference if people aren't listening so I've found. Just as long as they are present. I even talk to myself actually (constantly). I am my best audience.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Epimonandas
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 10:16 pm

not neccessarily, Danlo, sometimes I hardly speak or type, of course this is only typing anyway, if at all. Sometimes i can and do talk alot, but usually, i get called Cliff when i do, as Ill spill out large chunks of info about something.

ManureMental
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Aug 2005, 7:00 am

Very good and valid points jetson i find i am much in agreement with you on this.

Aspies rock...................