Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 10:52 am

Do kids on the spectrim choose violence?

This question is for the parents of little kids, or family members of non-verbal older kids.
If they truly have a choice, without influence from older siblings or others,
Do they prefer Sesame Street or Mister Rogers or Nature,
Or do they go out of their way to find shows with violence and competition?

Last edited by Tahitiii on 01 Sep 2008, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 11:11 am

depends on the kid.....my oldest loved Barney- 2nd child HATED it, but loved Thomas the Tank Engine....daughter loved Dora the Explorer

Jaysonlee4
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Sep 2008, 12:36 pm

Tahitiii wrote:
Do they choose violence?

This question is for the parents of little kids, or family members of non-verbal older kids.
If they truly have a choice, without influence from older siblings or others,
Do they prefer Sesame Street or Mister Rogers or Nature,
Or do they go out of their way to find shows with violence and competition?

based on how many younger kids play grand theft auto I would say yes

-"It's not that I want to kill Lois...It's just.....:sigh: I want her not to be alive,,,anymore." Stewie Griffin-

NT's are people too...well some of them.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 12:44 pm

Without influence from older people?
Do the nonverbal ones freely chose violence?
I'm not asking other people to guess.
What do you parents actually see?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 1:08 pm

I would say no.

My son wasn't particularly drawn to anything violent as a very young child. Interested, yes, but also interested in many other and more benign things. Interested more in the way that very young children are interested in everything. And the shows he liked were meant to appeal to kids, all kids.

Violence comes from frustration.

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 3:47 pm

Hi
I have two boys an 18yr old and my 9 yr old with AS. My 9 yr old AS son is into violence much more than my 18 yr old son. We will often find him playing very violent games on the net (God knows how he finds them) from the time he was about 2 and he would watch my older son and my brother playing grand theft auto on the ps2 he would get really excited, they would play other games and he didn't show any interest. He only wanted to play on the ps2 back then when grand theft auto was on (he loved to kick the pedestrians and steal their money) One of J's first ever obsessions was with the army, he would talk about killing people, guns and tanks and bombs, it was so bad that when he started school he would only army crawl around the playground. J's newest obsession is "stick page".

BigK
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Sep 2008, 4:41 pm

No.

My NT likes violent games more than my aspie.

GTA, stick page and anything else I don't like the look of get banned when I find out about them. ;)

If they want to work out their aggression they can do it with something physical.

"How can it not know what it is?"

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 3:57 pm

My son is 6, and he's only just made the move away from Thomas to Ben10, but it's more about striking poses, singing the theme tune, copying the phrases and learning all about the various characters. For him, that is the most violent TV gets. He's never been into Power Rangers or anything like that.

He's always preferred children's shows that teach you something - like Spanish on Dora the Explorer.

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Sep 2008, 12:45 am

My 10 y/o AS daughter is not drawn to violence in the least. She prefers stuffed animals and resading. She plays World of Warcraft, but she's just as likely to be making clothing/armor for her online friends and even strangers, leading people who don't know the game through it, or setting up house in an abandoned building in the game and giving out or selling food and water- like a restaurant. She's very cute. She's also very good at killing the baddies and helping her clueless Mom around the World of Warcraft when I play with her.

My 6 y/o son with mild retardation and sensory integration problems is now drawn more to violence. He loved Buzz Lighyear of Star Command, now it's Transformers, Ben 10, Spiderman, stuff like that. He has lots of superhero and Star Wars action figures and he does play fights with them all the time. He and my 5 y/o DD can get violent with their play- pretend karate, etc, but they do not hurt each other. It's scary to watch them play like that sometimes(I never did as a kid), but we have talked with them and they know it's just play and that they are not allowed to actually hit or kick anyone. We've only had one accidental hit with their play this year.