Page 1 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Cathleigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jan 2012, 12:41 pm

Has anyone else played this visual novel? I played through Act 1 a few times until the full game's release a few days ago, and have been playing the full version since then. Of the 5 character routes, I've finished Emi and Lilly's, and am about halfway through Hanako's. I think it's a great game, I found myself really attached to the characters.

Whosinabunker
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jan 2012, 10:01 pm

Cathleigh wrote:
Has anyone else played this visual novel? I played through Act 1 a few times until the full game's release a few days ago, and have been playing the full version since then. Of the 5 character routes, I've finished Emi and Lilly's, and am about halfway through Hanako's. I think it's a great game, I found myself really attached to the characters.

I came here to post about Katawa just now, nice to know somebody else knows about it! I just finished Emi's storyline, totally worth it! It's a nice break from the rest of the other video games out there for sure. I'm gonna go in and try for Hanako this time though, maybe Lilly...decisions, decisions...

Cathleigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2012, 8:04 pm

Have completed Hanako's route, and last night finished Rin's. I think Rin's an aspie - she has issues relating to people, seems 'in her own world', goes off on tangents that are seemingly unrelated to anything, very talented at what she does, but still has 'normal' fears and desires, just no way of getting them through to others. That's what I thought, anyway.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 9:40 pm

I absolutely love this game! I really like how it portrays people with disabilities in such a human light. I'm currently on Shizune's route (which is also my first one). I think I'm going to do Hanako's route next.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 11:50 pm

Doesn't this game have hentai in it?

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 1:06 am

Is that bad? :> And I've heard about it. I should finish Fate / Stay Night first however.

Whosinabunker
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jan 2012, 1:11 am

Cathleigh wrote:
Have completed Hanako's route, and last night finished Rin's. I think Rin's an aspie - she has issues relating to people, seems 'in her own world', goes off on tangents that are seemingly unrelated to anything, very talented at what she does, but still has 'normal' fears and desires, just no way of getting them through to others. That's what I thought, anyway.

Hmm, you really have a point here. I was looking for autistic characters in this game, I think you may have found it! I hear Rin's storyline is kind of depressing though, haven't done it myself yet though.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 5:34 am

phil777 wrote:
Is that bad? :> And I've heard about it. I should finish Fate / Stay Night first however.

Depends. Doesn't Fate/Stay Night have hentai in it?

Cathleigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jan 2012, 8:01 am

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:

There is an option of turning off the hentai scenes (I don't think there're that many to start with, compared to other visual novels). In one ending I turned off hentai and saw a picture of a chinchilla instead.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 8:14 am

Cathleigh wrote:
The_Perfect_Storm wrote:

There is an option of turning off the hentai scenes (I don't think there're that many to start with, compared to other visual novels). In one ending I turned off hentai and saw a picture of a chinchilla instead.

ew what did he do to it?

Cathleigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jan 2012, 8:38 am

Another thought: does anyone think that Yuuko might have aspie traits too?

Cathleigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jan 2012, 9:09 am

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
Cathleigh wrote:
The_Perfect_Storm wrote:

ew what did he do to it?

Nothing, it was just a chinchilla picture on its own. Another time a picture of a melon was shown, another time some kind of sea creature. Strange hentai-blockers in my opinion.

Ipsen42
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jan 2012, 1:54 pm

Noticing it was causing quite a stir in the otaku community, I picked up Katawa Shoujo. I have to say, I'm impressed. The quality fluctuates between routes and Acts but overall it's really good. The disabilities aren't something that's exploited in a cheap way, rather they almost completely get pushed to the background by the "real" issues.

I could really relate to Rin's route, and I wonder if her route's writer was inspired by an Aspie.
She definitely doesn't fit any of the traditional Japanese character archetypes typical for these games, that's for sure.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 12:07 am

Ipsen42 wrote:
Noticing it was causing quite a stir in the otaku community, I picked up Katawa Shoujo. I have to say, I'm impressed. The quality fluctuates between routes and Acts but overall it's really good. The disabilities aren't something that's exploited in a cheap way, rather they almost completely get pushed to the background by the "real" issues.

I could really relate to Rin's route, and I wonder if her route's writer was inspired by an Aspie.
She definitely doesn't fit any of the traditional Japanese character archetypes typical for these games, that's for sure.

What's an otaku?

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

18 Jan 2012, 10:33 pm

Wait, is this the game where the main guy has a heart defect and ends up going to a school for disabled kids? And there's a deaf girl, and a blind girl, and a girl with her legs amputated? If it is, I was gonna downlad this game, but I didn't know if it was the same game I was thinking of, so I kind of forgot about it. Is it out now?

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 2:52 pm

I posted this in the "Adult Section" since it does have some themes catered to be too graphic for under 18's.

Yeah, and it's the first eroge I have played...it's very interesting as it shows you how people with disabilities cope with relationships but some of the writing is inconsistent.

At first I thought of Rin as extremely Autistic, but some things are very off about it. Namely her loss of wording things...not all Aspies are great at wording things...but she was very weird about it, she showed more ADHD elements then Aspergers as she can talk to people easier but says stupid things that make her awkward to talk to...

I think Rin has some form of Autism though, it's just that I think it leans towards ADHD, I would say Hanako in her story is more Autistic.