Page 1 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jul 2016, 2:52 am

I'm surprized nobody has posted about the new Pokemon Go craze? So, I thought I should do the honours and do the first Pokemon Go post. I guess it might be in one of the other Forums?

If you live in a country still awaiting release of the app, your world is about to change. In my case, its my kids who have gone from deskbound gamers to run-around Pokemon hunters. Its a good thing foer them.

What does everyone think of it all?

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jul 2016, 2:54 am

Jabberwokky wrote:
I'm surprized nobody has posted about the new Pokemon Go craze? So, I thought I should do the honours and do the first Pokemon Go post. I guess it might be in one of the other Forums?

If you live in a country still awaiting release of the app, your world is about to change. In my case, its my kids who have gone from deskbound gamers to run-around Pokemon hunters. Its a good thing foer them.

What does everyone think of it all?

How dumb am I? 8O Of course, lots of Pokemon Go posts over in the right forum! I await official dispatch of this thread to that forum :oops:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 6:44 am

Just heard something on the mourning news/talk show about it. You walk around outdoors staring at your smart phone looking for imaginary creatures, or something. There are some dangers they said. Didnt stay riveted to the TV set long enough to really understand it.

But what a concept!

That children should play out doors!

Imagine that! A world in which kids dont stay seated in front of XBox but actually walk around out doors.

Next maybe they will make an AP that will get kids to play tag, hide and go seek, and to even climb trees!

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 10:43 am

Pokemon Go is Nothing like Pokemon games. It's not even a JRPG. I can't even figure out how to work the contraption.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 10:59 am

I also hadn't seen any other threads about this, which surprised me.

I'm absolutely loving this version of the game. I know some people don't like that it's a change from the original game mechanic, but I feel that's been done over and over again with very little change and so I'm very pleased to see this alternative. I really like the simplicity of it - my daughter and I have been out catching Pokemon together (she's a toddler but has really enjoyed walking around with me, waiting for them to appear and seeing what's available, then watching as we catch whatever we've found).

I feel like a kid again! It's made it all more 'real' for me, after previously growing out of the Pokemon craze. I now enjoy exploring wherever I go to see what's available. I'm looking forward to seeing what other features they bring in, too.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 11:02 am

I keep on hearing about this Pokemon Go on Facebook. I don't really have any interest in Pokemon. I liked it when I was 10 because it was all the craze at school, but now, nope.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 12:28 pm

I have it. It's a cute game, but a memory hog for a phone.

My DD wanted it, so I test drove it on my phone first. You can buy things for the game (using your real money), so make sure the parental controls is in affect on the playstore.

I can't even get on the server after 9 am.

I like Pokémon Shuffle better on my phone.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 1:01 pm

This isn't all that different from the 'craze' that made pokemon popular in the us. In 1998-1999. Dubbed the Poke-Explosion, It was what made pokemon popular everyone was wearing pokemon, or playing pokemon, it started to fade in late 1999. The also making a ton of money off this 25m$+...

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 4:27 pm

Pieplup wrote:
This isn't all that different from the 'craze' that made pokemon popular in the us. In 1998-1999. Dubbed the Poke-Explosion, It was what made pokemon popular everyone was wearing pokemon, or playing pokemon, it started to fade in late 1999. The also making a ton of money off this 25m$+...

There always seems to be a "craze" whenever a new game is released, but with Pokemon Go, Nintendo is targeting a new market by making it a mobile game, instead of a game for their own handheld consoles, which will make Pokemon popular with more people than ever before. You just love blue text, don't you!

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

12 Jul 2016, 4:30 pm

I downloaded this then found out it Involves walking around and going outside, deleted! :lol:

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 5:42 pm

"Pokemon GO got more American kids off the sofa in 4 days than Michelle Obama’s 7 years of haranguing"

"Pokemon GO just accomplished the impossible: It got my kid to voluntarily go for a 3 mile walk! More on that miracle in a moment, let’s first have a teachable moment on the free market versus failed government programs.

"After nearly seven years of whining, cajoling and haranguing from the First Lady and her “Let’s Move” program, American kids are just as obese as ever. According to a study highlighted by the Daily Caller, kids have pretty much ignored Michelle Obama’s command to get up and move....

"So if making viral videos dancing with Jimmy Fallon isn’t going to get kids off the sofa and exercising, what will?

"We learned the answer to that question this weekend. The answer is capitalism."

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/07/12/p ... aranguing/

:mrgreen:

There Are Four Lights!

Stephen__
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jul 2016, 6:03 pm

Darmok wrote:
"So if making viral videos dancing with Jimmy Fallon isn’t going to get kids off the sofa and exercising, what will?

"We learned the answer to that question this weekend. The answer is capitalism."

Capitalism doesn't give a crap how fat your kid is. Capitalism just stumbled across a side effect.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 5:47 pm

My grown kids are playing it all the time. It's all good until some little kid runs out into traffic while playing it though, and that's when folks will all get sued.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2016, 3:13 am

I had recently heard about it and all I heard so far was ridiculous stories like walking into police stations to tag a Pokemon so the place in Australia had to post on their Facebook wall about how you don't need to walk into the building to capture the Pokemon and also people walking out in streets where they can get hit by a car and people crashing their cars while playing the game. I said "Gees I am not playing that game, that sounds dangerous." :lol: I also said just imagine someone coming to our house and knocking on our door saying "Excuse me but can I come inside for a sec so I can capture a Pokemon" and my husband started laughing.

My real reason for having no interest in this game is because my husband has enough space used up on his phone and I play enough games already and the game might not work on my phone anyway because it's too old and the phone might not support the app. It couldn't even support Miitomo without it freezing and crashing.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2016, 3:29 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
My grown kids are playing it all the time. It's all good until some little kid runs out into traffic while playing it though, and that's when folks will all get sued.

right? isn't that inevitable? the basic idea behind the game doesn't sound so bad, but i haven't heard yet of any built-in safeguards to prevent that kind of thing. is there any? or to prevent things like unsuspecting fanatic players from ending up in places where they probably shouldn't be. not to mention questionable commercial practices that i doubt they'll resist (like forcing players to go to a certain store to have any real chance of winning the game)

my bet is "the craze" is not going to last, but then all the ensuing failures associated with it (like, you know, deaths and stuff :lol:) will pave the way for a next wave of games

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2016, 3:41 am

Yeah it sounds like it might be actually fun, as opposed to the other video games I've seen them play, but I feel like I'm a little old for pokemon, considering I was grown when it first came out.

Although I might actually give a similar game based on Frogger a try.

I like the big old arcade games, not the ones they have out now, as cool as some are. And I'd prefer the big machines and not playing the same thing with a hand held controller. It loses something in the translation I guess.

The other night my grown 22 year old daughter woke me up when she came into my room at midnight to see if I had pokemon in there. She was trying to be quiet, but I woke up anyway. Everybody is playing that crap now. My youngest son went outside for an hour before work the other morning at 4am looking for pokemon before his ride came to pick him up to take him to the shop so he could build cabinets for people all day.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com