Page 219 of 278 [ 4436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222 ... 278  Next

Lulu_Rina
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Dec 2019, 10:18 am

I'm playing a challenge run in Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

Again

And currently trying to complete the pokedex in Pokemon Sword

And doing some building stuff in Minecraft

Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Dec 2019, 11:07 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
I think the point of Umineko isn't what you thought, but that how we think about the world, our outlook and perspective are formed from the truths we create for ourselves. That sometimes in times of trauma we can create a distortion of the truth as a defensive mechanism, or to simply make us feel better about ourselves. And that sometimes other people might distort the truth to protect another, because having them learn the actual truth might break them.

I'm not sure how much I'd consider the story a bait and switch. I think that'd the case if you came in blind. Anyone who's read the first in the series would likely be anticipating many of its twists.

The past about needing an editor, that's very true. It's very indulgent but for me it didn't cross the line to excess until the last episode. I don't think editors exist though for visual novels, I've rarely read one that felt lean. Song of Saya would be one, it's fairly dense but only takes a few hours to read.

The other would be The House in Fata Morgana. I'd recommend the latter if you didn't like Umineko but wanted a more conventional story and three act structure. It's well written and edited, with a mystery that's satisfyingly resolved, likable characters, and features some great unique visuals and audio.

Saya no Uta is one of my favourite VNs, it's short and concise, it has a simple concept that it explores and then leaves you with a somewhat ambiguous ending. And it's uncomfortable as hell.

I've only heard good things about Fata Morgana, even from people who are critical of Umineko, so I might go for that.

I could buy your ideas about Umineko, but I don't think that a good idea justifies hours of interminably boring text. Those ideas about our psyche are also kind of trite, they don't justify a bad narrative on their own. To be honest, Umineko feels like the intellectual equivalent of a Linkin Park song.

charkie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Dec 2019, 2:32 pm

^^^ oops, I uh forgot my old login details, made an account then accidentally logged into the forgotten account on another device that had the old login saved. Grr.

I've been replaying Alien Isolation. It's a good one to replay after a few years. They change up the gameplay constantly across the game using different threats and tools, the xenomorph is real scary in the early sections given how unpredictable it is. You're forced to really engage with the environments, walking slowly and eyeing up hiding spots and escape routes. Some parts are better than others and they don't do enough with mixing human enemies with the alien threat but overall a great game.

la_fenkis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2019, 10:18 am

Subnautica: Below Zero

Playing it before they scrap the current storyline.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2020, 8:22 am

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity
loving it all over again

Kirby Block Ball

Pokemon Crystal
man, I had all about forgotten how awful hard it was to level up Pokemon without the wonderful EXP share we've had since gen 6. Thank you, Game Freak for quality of life changes to your games!

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Stardust_Dragonfly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2020, 10:00 am

Final fantasy 12 :D

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2020, 9:20 am

Speed dating for ghosts
I thought it would be fun and entertaining and it was, but it was also surprisingly emotional.

caffeinekid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2020, 10:44 am

The Binding of Isaac has been my go to game recently. It's a very very messed up rogue-like, but a lot of fun and surprisingly deep when it comes to emergent gameplay and evolving strategies.

cmyktechnicolor
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Feb 2020, 11:51 pm

Currently have been alternating between The Sims 4 and Minecraft, with some occasional plays of Untitled Goose Game and Cities; Skylines

Least be said, I enjoy building worlds, lol

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2020, 10:11 pm

I have been playing Maiden and Spell, a new game that I've been eyeing for a bit. It seemed like a neat concept, and the art and music drew me. It's a shoot em up with a single player boss rush campaign, with additional extra bosses rewarded for completion of the main campaign. But it's also a multiplayer PVP game, with multiple characters, each with a unique loadout. I don't know much about the developer, but the rollback netcode in it is very good, unusually so for a Japanese developed game. I'm playing with people with 300ms ping or so and lag is imperceptible. Both the single player campaign and multiplayer duels feel great. I played through the single player sections on normal and now I'm just having a blast duelling people online.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2020, 8:19 pm

Don't Starve Together

charkie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2020, 12:41 am

As a kid I played through Wild Arms 1 & 3, and they're both pretty great, so I've been meaning to play through the rest of the series some time.

I heard Wild Arms 4 was the bad one, and the theme song is good, so I had to play it.

This game is wild. It's stupid in such a way as to perfectly appeal to me. It has that typical JRPG thing where they're trying to deal with themes that are way above the capability of the writers, so you get these incredible conversations about moral relativity and how a "war criminal" and a "hero" aren't necessarily any different, except filtered through a fairly incompetent translation and poor voice acting and (I imagine) a bad original script. There are scenes where a bunch of ridiculously aged men in suits of armour talk at each other about how representative democracy doesn't work. There are villains who have special powers that are immediately undone and do not make sense. I'm trying to avoid real spoilers here and there are a lot of stupid things I specifically avoided mentioning. This game is a hidden treasure of stupidity for anyone who enjoys bad media.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2020, 6:11 pm

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (3DS version) :D

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 12:10 am

^ good to hear that I'm not the only one still playing 3DS! :)

I have been playing Devious Dungeon lately. It was on sale and I liked the demo. It's fun.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 5:48 am

I've been playing Ori and the Will of the Wisps. I've played the first few hours and so far it's a large improvement over the first game. I loved the first game, with its incredibly tight platforming, controls and fluid animation. It had a great sense of flow with how you traversed the game's levels. But the combat was garbage, and even if it made up a minor element of the game over its playtime, it was still a weak point of the game.

The new game has much improved combat mechanics, heavily borrowing from Hollow Knight, with less button mashing spam and more focus on melee combat and avoiding attacks. It's still not one of the game's strong points, with little visual feedback on impacts; most enemies don't get knocked back by hits and your player character inches forwards with combos, so if you're not careful you can combo straight into taking contact damage. It also uses a similar system to Hollow Knight's charms.

But like the first game, so far the combat seems to be a pretty small part of the game. It's much more heavily focused on its platforming, which I'm glad for. The first game was unique for being a Metroidvania style game that was mostly a platformer, and it'd lose some identity by leaving that behind. There's other games like this that do the combat better, so it should stick to what it does best.

Like the first game, it's incredible to look at. If Pixar used their resources to animate a film on behalf of Ghibli, I imagine it'd look like this game.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 7:45 am

Lord of the Rings Online as always.