The end for video game consoles is near

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

starfox64
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Nov 2012, 3:11 pm

i sense the end of video game consoles like the xbox 360, ps3, wii and the newly released, wii u. its obvious because sales for these game system has been slow. why? because almost everyone has them. gaming has been replaced by tablets and smartphones. you can install an emulator on their and download any games released on a game system in the past. soon, there won't be any video game system left. it will be just tablets, smartphones and computers. it saddens me. smh..

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 4:52 pm

But you can still buy games and consoles second-hand, and most good games are the older ones, anyway. :) Just the other week I saw a gizmo that lets you convert old music tapes to an MP3... maybe they'll come out with something that does the same with old console games... I must really be getting old because I just can't keep up any more or can't afford to. :(

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 5:17 pm

Current game consoles/handhelds have their 1st-party titles that aren't available on PC. By the way I just got the Nintendo Wii-U deluxe model, and the initial system update is being downloaded right now. :)

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 5:59 pm

Tablets and phones just can't play the same quality of games... most don't even have buttons for controlling!

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 7:23 pm

I stoped playing consoles back with PS1. It was really at that stage that the games all came out multi platform and also for PC. It was also at that stage that the demise of arcade alleys really came into affect too. I miss arcade games more then the consoles.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 7:46 pm

Solvejg wrote:
I stoped playing consoles back with PS1. It was really at that stage that the games all came out multi platform and also for PC. It was also at that stage that the demise of arcade alleys really came into affect too. I miss arcade games more then the consoles.

There used to be an arcade in my town. It was awesome. So much fun.

You will reap what you've sown.

Darkone101
Toucan
Toucan

18 Nov 2012, 9:39 pm

Tablets are more hand held than console. Sony and Nintendo would be better off sending 3ds and vita to tablets then all this new stuff. Ps4 and the new Xbox will be fine.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 10:06 pm

abacacus wrote:
Solvejg wrote:

There used to be an arcade in my town. It was awesome. So much fun.

I used to actually work at the big arcade in my city. SO MUCH FUN!

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 10:08 pm

Tablets and smartphones appeal to casual gamers, of which there is a growing number. They will (more than likely) never replace consoles for hardcore gamers though. I mean, does anyone really play games on their smartphone for more than ten minutes unless their bus is running late or something?

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 10:16 pm

CrystalStars wrote:
Tablets and smartphones appeal to casual gamers, of which there is a growing number. They will (more than likely) never replace consoles for hardcore gamers though. I mean, does anyone really play games on their smartphone for more than ten minutes unless their bus is running late or something?

Yes. In bed

Darkone101
Toucan
Toucan

19 Nov 2012, 12:09 am

Final fantasy 3, the world ends with you both on iPad.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 3:55 am

I will believe in the end of consoles when I see it. My exit in regards to keeping up with new releases will quite possibly come before that, but I think consoles are here to stay, for now. I'm more concerned about the future of dedicated gaming handhelds. I refuse to play games on anything that doesn't have a d-pad and buttons, unless it happens to have a mouse and keyboard. In fact, I don't recognize anything else as a legit gaming system. For the most part I'm pretty much exclusively a console and handheld gamer, but I do play the occasional pc game. I have a certain disdain for app gaming, because it's not only taking over the handheld market, but is also taking away potential consumers for consoles. Granted, none of that will matter to me if I reach my cut-off point before it happens. Here's hoping the 8th gen won't take things too much further south. :roll:

BrokenEnvoke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2012, 6:10 am

starfox64 wrote:
i sense the end of video game consoles...

Do you even understand your own logic?

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 10:15 am

I do not belive, that there will be no more consoles. I have a gaming PC and consoles myself, so each got pro and cons.

A gaming PC ist outdated at least after 2 years. (Sure, there are lots of games that dont need that much hardware, like adventures and so on, but when it comes to High End Shooters like Battlefield or epic games like Skyrim it sucks with a 2 year old PC at release). A console usually has around 5 years, until a new version comes out. So the console is much cheaper from the begin and you always can rely on it, that games released for the console will be running on the console. If a game will be released in 2 years for X-Box i do not need to be afraid to need a new X-Box to play it. (Contra: When a console is released some years, the graphic difference between console and high end PC becomes bigger and bigger on new games.) So the console is cheaper.

A console is from my opinion safer for kids. When I allow kids to play with my WII, I rather do not need to care, what they are exactly doing in every minute. They cannot download illegal thousend of songs, they cannot touch by accidant some spam or virus mails, and while playing on WII noone ever asked me if i liked to see an asian mothter/daughter couple.... cooking. Also everything you buy on consoles, is bought with virtual money, where no debts are possible. Is there no more virtual money they need to ask their parents to give them virtual money again. They cannot make debts on real money and I dont neet to give them my credit cards data personally.

3) Even my mom can connect a console with her television, following the step-by-step guideline. I could tell stories what she did terrible things to my parents poor PC (who is maintained by my partner, me and their neighbors ^^)

Mobile phones, handhelds etc.: There have always been small games beside the big ones. From shareware games for PC, casual games like Sims, gameboy and so on. So for playing, when you´ve got only 10 minutes time or are waiting and dont know when to stop playing, they are ok. New casual gamers will also be more attracted by small games liky "Angry Birds" and so on, because of the easy game mechanic. But i think, there will always be a fraction of gamers who want "real games", which needs a console or PC. :)

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 2:21 pm

The only area of gaming that has took a dive is arcade gaming. Sales of games and the consoles have been doing just fine for the most part. The mobile platform is simply another option, but by no means a serious gaming option. For me and many others, nothing will replace serious console/PC gaming.

shyengineer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2012, 6:10 pm

I use a computer for work so I prefer to use a console for gaming to get away from it all. I know the specs are outdated, but it's just so easy and fun. My couch is also very comfy.