Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Nyite
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Apr 2013, 12:07 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but an avid gamer (I have 6 max lvl chars in GW2). My current obsession is Defiance and wondered if anyone else was having fun in tera-formed California ;).

Andras
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 12:28 pm

I have never played Defiance, but i played lots of GW2. I had 1 lvl 80 character and 2 of those were near 80. Do you still play GW2? (yea i know it's about Defiance but I'm just curious :P )

Oh and welcome to WP!

Nyite
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Apr 2013, 12:32 pm

I still log into GW2 on Wed. eves to be social with my home guild (velvet claw), but honestly as brilliant as some of the PVE is in GW2 (the dynamicc events are so fun), the end game just doesn't grab me. I was with a hard core WVW guild for a while to fill my max cap needs, but that guild eventually moved on from GW2 & now everyone just seems to be hanging in limbo til WildStar ...

Nyite
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Apr 2013, 12:33 pm

& thanks for the welcome!

Andras
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 1:05 pm

Nyite wrote:
I still log into GW2 on Wed. eves to be social with my home guild (velvet claw), but honestly as brilliant as some of the PVE is in GW2 (the dynamicc events are so fun), the end game just doesn't grab me. I was with a hard core WVW guild for a while to fill my max cap needs, but that guild eventually moved on from GW2 & now everyone just seems to be hanging in limbo til WildStar ...
I bolded out the part that made me kind of slowly lose touch with Guildwars 2. The endgame got boring fast and felt more like a grindfest to me. All my friends that played it lost interest and thus, i gradually lost interest as well.

Oh uhm... I'll stop derailing your thread now, sorry! :P

Nyite
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Apr 2013, 1:38 pm

Nods... GW2 promised much and delivered on quite a bit, but... past lvl 40, I lost a lot of enthusiasm. The dungeons felt imbalanced & the personal story just seemed, well, dull. I will say, what GW2 gets right (world building, dynamic events) is a lot of fun, but really I have to be honest & say that I think WildStar will be much better than GW2

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

15 Apr 2013, 3:53 pm

I haven't played GW2 yet, but I have played a lot of Guild Wars, and I think that Arenanet may have fundamentally misunderstood why people enjoyed Guild Wars in the first place.

As far as Defiance goes, I'm not playing it but my current MMO guild has several people who really love it.

Nyite
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Apr 2013, 3:59 pm

I played a lot of GW back in the day too (in fact my Canthan Necro was my fav char ever til GW2 :) ) May I ask for any info you'd like to share about your guild? I'm sorta looking for other people playing Defiance since not many people I know are into it.

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 4:48 pm

Alright, after playing Defiance for bit, my two cents...

This game is heavily flawed. The AI isn't great, as far as shooters go, the appearance customization is terrible, and I've encountered a fair few bugs so far, some preventing me from turning in some of the rather tough-to-solo Blood of Heroes side events. The graphics are functional, and as far as MMOs go, they're great, but still nothing to write home about. Also, the lack of complex location based damage puts it behind other shooters. Not to mention that the absence of classes and limited race options mean that Alts aren't much of an option.

That's the bad news. The good news... this game is %$^&ing FUN! While the shooting mechanics aren't amazing, they're oddly fun to play with, and I would say they're about on par with Borderlands' FPS mechanics, which weren't stellar either. But the world is very interesting, and it's cool to play in a real world location (albeit terraformed). That was one of the things that pulled me into The Secret World. An MMO with a boring world is no fun to explore, and this looks like it'll be real cool. The combat, despite the mechanical flaws, isn't the chore it is in most MMOs. In WoW, TSW, EQ, and GW, I would charge from location to location to avoid combat. It was boring. But in this I find myself looking for a fight. the sidequests are run of the mill, but still fun, as are the random events. But that's not what sold me.

Arkfall. It's amazing. I've only played for a day, and I've already taken part in a raid-sized event, and gotten a ton of loot. If The Secret World mastered the Instance Dungeon, Defiance gets the prize for World-Raids. Check out a youtube video if you're doubtful.

So yeah, it's a bunch of individually kinda crap mechanics and tropes cobbled into what ultimately comes out to a flat out awesome game. It shouldn't work, but it does, wonderfully. I'm gonna be playing this one for a while. Thanks to the OP for the recommendation.

Nyite
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Apr 2013, 5:50 pm

That's about it, imo. I think the review I found most on was this one from MMORPG. I suspect I'll drop it the minute WildStar goes live (or I get into its beta), but until then it's flawed but too much fun to quit ;)