Anyone else probable getting Odin Sphere?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 9:08 am

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/odinsph ... id=6171361

I've been looking forward to this for about a month, when I found out it's 2D. I have no problem with 3D games. There's tons of stuff you can't do in 2D-but the reverse is also true. 3D in no way eliminated the need for 2D games to do many very fun types of gameplay.

So anyway, this game is pretty gorgeous, it's sort of a sidescrolling fighter/action-RPG. Apparently one boss fight the slowdown gets so bad the game almost stops. But other than that, it sounds pretty great.

Anyone else excited by it? As far as I know, this is the first real 2D game for the PS2. Which is utterly bizarre, but hey, better late than never!

I still am so excited by what they could do on the PS3! Imagine 100's of MB of 2D art on screen at once! That weird Cell CPU would probably be well suited to dealing with 2D art also.

Vegasadelphia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 May 2007, 9:26 am

I am 50/50 on it. This is one of those games that is like the NIS games, so much to do, you can combine every item and forge new ones and get unlimited experience and create any character.... sometimes, that is too much for me, and I get overwhelmed with what to do in the game, and it takes the fun away. I love RPGs, and probably will/would love this one, but it seems like way too many options to be enjoyable for me.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 11:32 am

I sometimes have that problem too. Games, and RPGs in particular can be a really fine line between loving and hating them for me.

I also have trouble creating characters in games, since I can't decide what skills to use, etc. Can't decide between all of them.

If I do go through with buying this, I hope I like it! I'm scared if I rent it and do love it, it'll be too late to buy it.

Vegasadelphia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 May 2007, 5:59 pm

Wolfpup wrote:
I sometimes have that problem too. Games, and RPGs in particular can be a really fine line between loving and hating them for me.

I also have trouble creating characters in games, since I can't decide what skills to use, etc. Can't decide between all of them.

If I do go through with buying this, I hope I like it! I'm scared if I rent it and do love it, it'll be too late to buy it.

That is me too! Happens to me all the time! I wish the old style of predetermined characters and classes would come back. If Final Fantasy XII had a set skills tree (like every other one before it, or even X's grid system) I would have loved it. Instead, I wound up spending hours just unlocking skills and never actually advancing the game at all. I have to unlock everything with every character, and it becomes a chore, not fun.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 6:48 am

This game looks like it might be good, but I've stopped getting PS2 games recently in favour of getting DS games, which are far cheaper.

That said, I've been impressed with a lot of Atlus-published games. Disgaea for the PS2; Trauma Centre and Puyo Pop Fever for the DS were all great. Tactics Ogre, Riviera, and Summon Night: Swordcraft Story for the GBA were also decent. The only sour experience I've had from them was Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 11:54 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
This game looks like it might be good, but I've stopped getting PS2 games recently in favour of getting DS games, which are far cheaper.

That said, I've been impressed with a lot of Atlus-published games. Disgaea for the PS2; Trauma Centre and Puyo Pop Fever for the DS were all great. Tactics Ogre, Riviera, and Summon Night: Swordcraft Story for the GBA were also decent. The only sour experience I've had from them was Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.

I think Riviera is actually being remade on the PSP (with upgraded graphics and production values). Which makes it okay that it was hard to find the first time around :D

I really love how the portables have been getting 2D games, but still I'd love to see state of the art hardware doing 2D.