Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Crion87
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Aug 2008, 7:33 am

I was playing a strategy computer game online, and the other guy I was playing against was using his mike to use some sort of psychological warfare on me. No real insults or anything like that, just idiotic noises and being a plain tosser. Nevertheless, though I lost the match, the psychological warfare had absolutely nothing to do with it - I just played on and did not give up until I all I had left was my main unit.

So, I decided to autodestruct it thus forfeiting the match, to deny him the satisfaction of blowing it up.

I will now stop playing the game online and wait for the chance to either play it single-player or against real people in a reputable Internet cafe I attend. At least it's (relatively) friendlier there, and a lot smarter.

He had the 1337 gaming skills, I'll concede that. But, I had the sportsmanship.

End of.

Jkid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2008, 7:44 am

Griefers are everywhere.

Especially in Halo 2 where kids 14-16 keep using homophobic and racist languages against other players. I tried getting in their face and they just kept going, just like a homophobic moron.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 7:55 am

Yeah total morons, they ruin the game. They should try to use other types of psychological warfare that does not involve makeing stupid noises, or even team killing. I am actualy quite good at non verbal warefare, in games like smash bros. And halo has a lot of chances, for me showing respect is realy important, and I try to show it to all online, if I get totaly smashed on Halo 3 I will actualy congratulate them.

PilotPirx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Aug 2008, 7:58 am

lol, I don't play that kind of game, but I played chess for some time in a small club.
It's just the same thing, 1/2 of wining is psychology. Get the other guy angry or feel stupid and the game is as good as won.
There is a story about a chess championship, where one of the players brought a cat, caressing it all the time during play, well knowing that his opponent was a cat hater :x

(btw: can't you turn off the sound from his headset? What do you care, what he is rambling about. Just give him hell on the scren...)

Crion87
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Aug 2008, 8:02 am

Playing games online isn't exactly high on my list of to-dos these days - half of the time, I have no internet access. Plus, I have some RL issues to deal with at the moment, I can't be distracted mucking about in online games.

No offence to any hardcore gamers, but I generally prefer playing singleplayer anyways.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 8:09 am

if the guy is pissing you off just hit the mute button.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 12:19 pm

I don't like online multiplayer games because the NTs are so competitive and I hate that. I prefer to co-operate which is why Gears is so great in co-op and I'm really looking forward to 4 player co-op zombie killing in Left4Dead by Valve and Turtlerock.

StrawberryJam
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Aug 2008, 3:29 pm

i dont play alot of online first-person-shooter games (except occasionally battlefield 2) and ive always been horribly afraid of using headsets. not the headsets thats the problem, i have a severe phobia of verbally talking to people i dont know (i cant even order my own food at a fast food restauraunt)

but this whole thing about sportsmanship and respect is the main reason i prefer FFXI to most MMOs. you gotta be nice to people or youll get nowhere because of how the game is set up, most things take a group effort and people cant screw up or be stupid <_<; for instance, theres this guy on my server, Smokeone, who ruined his reputation by spam-shouting that hes the best this-that-or-the-other-thing evar and that hes apparently uber uber 1337 or something like that. now everyone knows him as a pompous ass (excuse my language if it offends you) and he cant find an LS (guild) thatll accept him and he cant get any of his missions done unless he can solo them :wink: but sadly, some rude peopel dont get so infamous as to have learned their lesson :/

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 5:49 pm

I never play online... I always play in single-player mode. I don't have to worry about what other people think of the way I play, and I trust an AI-controlled monster more than a human being.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 2:14 pm

Don't play online much, I'd rather play with friends, but if I do I just ignore them and trash talk right back ;)

Of course, my trash talking involves asking them how they get electricity in their igloo, so eventually they think I'm ret*d and leave :roll:

ihitterdal
Toucan
Toucan

04 Aug 2008, 2:26 pm

Jkid wrote:
Griefers are everywhere.

Especially in Halo 2 where kids 14-16 keep using homophobic and racist languages against other players. I tried getting in their face and they just kept going, just like a homophobic moron.

Luckily, the new Live has the Underground zone, where they'll click thinking that they're good enough. Two seconds later, they'll cry and never go online again.

That'll be awesome, hm?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 5:41 am

I think these are related
[youtube]http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2007/06/elwoodAP_450x363.jpg[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I336s0ZHiQk[/youtube]

Wonx2150
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Aug 2008, 6:52 am

I used to look at online games and go arg!! i couldn't do that :P (not been great socially). A few years ago i started playing WOW and found it not to bad. I never was the most social person but i was a guild leader of over 200 people for a few years. The guild went down hill slowly and i lost interest in that character and my next main was anti social i didnt really join another guild. (My former guild is going great these days under new management.)

I can understand why people feel daunted by it. It took me a bit of getting used to started talking to people in chat rooms then moved up to MMORPG's. Kinda miss wow these days :P but I'm feeling to poor for the moment to go back.

As for talking to people with mic's and stuff, i did find my self talking to a few people some times. I built up to it slowly getting used 2 talking to people i hardly knew. It has helped a bit in real life to although its easier though the net because your just a voice :P.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 9:01 am

I prefer LAN parties, so there's still more of a social aspect to it. We had some at the end of the year in my computer class, playing Halo. The only problem was one of my classmates got angry when we didn't let him host (so he couldn't get headshots) or when we wouldn't allow vehicles (so he couldn't run people over). But my friend brought in all sorts of fun custom content all the time. And it's just about the only activity that everyone in the class ever got into (even the girls, who usually just sit around all quiet-like :P).

Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds (an RTS) is a fun game to play with multiple people, too. I remember one time when I was playing with two people who were getting into a war on one side of the map, while I used my Jedi to get all the holocrons on the map (which sends a notice that my team will win in something like 200 "days", which caused the others to suddenly focus their attention on my base. :lol:)