Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 11:57 am

Weeks ago the chief Marketing representative was saying on an interview that Microsoft doesn't want to support PC games anymore because "there's too much piracy on PC" and 'no piracy on xbox360'....

just after few days of that interview , a major Xbox title was leaked to torrent BEFORE its release date

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/f ... re-release

and the CEO of EPIC used the same excuse for not supporting PC gaming and that few days of his interview , an epic Xbox game was leaked too:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... count=1045

"no piracy on consoles"

yeah....riiiight , what a dumb excuse...LOOOOL

ZakFiend
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 4:55 pm

Their is more profit on consoles they just use Piracy as an excuse, either way they are leaving the market to new players that will pick up the slack.

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 5:30 pm

I always wondered why they have specific release dates.
If there is much demand, then there is also much chaos on that day.
Anyway, I think it's dumb,
and I laugh at the "problem" of "stealing stuff from the future".

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 5:40 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
Weeks ago the chief Marketing representative was saying on an interview that Microsoft doesn't want to support PC games anymore because "there's too much piracy on PC" and 'no piracy on xbox360'....

just after few days of that interview , a major Xbox title was leaked to torrent BEFORE its release date

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/f ... re-release

and the CEO of EPIC used the same excuse for not supporting PC gaming and that few days of his interview , an epic Xbox game was leaked too:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... count=1045

"no piracy on consoles"

yeah....riiiight , what a dumb excuse...LOOOOL

I think most people are aware of the piracy on consoles. But still, there's much more piracy on computer games than console games.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

zebedee
Toucan
Toucan

11 Oct 2008, 6:12 pm

fallout 3? *perk*

I've noticed a lot more early releases of console games over the past year than PC games, maybe it's just because there's been a bit of a good PC game drought lately.

nudel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2008, 5:43 am

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
I think most people are aware of the piracy on consoles. But still, there's much more piracy on computer games than console games.

The point is that this excuse is obviously a lie. Because they are using an engine that runs on Xbox360 an PC, the costs of just porting the finished game would be close to zero. Even if piracy on the PC was so bad that they only sold 10000 copies, it would still be profitable.
It was the same with GoW1, where they had a deal with Microsoft to release it exclusively on the Xbox360. The PC version will just be delayed a few months or so and that has nothing to do with piracy.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 12:07 pm

nudel wrote:
Reodor_Felgen wrote:

The point is that this excuse is obviously a lie. Because they are using an engine that runs on Xbox360 an PC, the costs of just porting the finished game would be close to zero. Even if piracy on the PC was so bad that they only sold 10000 copies, it would still be profitable.
It was the same with GoW1, where they had a deal with Microsoft to release it exclusively on the Xbox360. The PC version will just be delayed a few months or so and that has nothing to do with piracy.
The biggest issues with a PC port would be the testing phase. Even if the engine works with Windows, you'd still have to test with any and all hardware solutions. Different video cards, sound cards, etc. If they don't think it's worth it to have a lab dedicated to hardware testing, not to mention, a staff dedicated to testing it, it won't be ported.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 8:17 pm

Quote:

Yes that's really what the issue is here. It isn't important the piracy exists so much as whether it's going to screw the sales up too much, and that goes back to how widespread the piracy is.

EdCase
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Oct 2008, 9:38 am

The reason why I play console games is because it is harder to cheat. I used to play Delta Force Land Warrior a lot on PC and was a dedicated PC gamer However when people modded so that could hide in the walls and do super jumps etc it completely ruined my experience. I've had a console since and at least it feels like i'm on a level playing field.

I work for a software company and can understand the urges to combat piracy.