Page 1 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 2:37 am

And environmentalists, apparently.
http://www.salon.com/2013/09/26/study_e ... s_partner/

Quote:
Why don’t people behave in more environmentally friendly ways? New research presents one uncomfortable answer: They don’t want to be associated with environmentalists.

That’s the conclusion of troubling new research from Canada, which similarly finds support for feminist goals is hampered by a dislike of feminists.

There's actually quite a bit more to the article, with lots of links to supporting info, but I'm personally most interested in the way people don't like causes they associate with people they don't like, as I've explored this a number of times here. The studies suggest that the phenomenon is not limited to feminism and environmentalism, which also jibes with my own experience, where people simply will not accept any "good" information about a cause they think matters to people they view as their enemies, regardless of their own true feelings on the matter in a vacuum. Fun stuff, and useful to know if you consider yourself an activist.

- Rick Sanchez

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 2:38 am

"Activists" regardless of cause annoy the s**t out of me for the most part. This isn't that surprising to me really

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 2:48 am

I find it rather interesting that the people who hold ideals with a current movement are often seen as activists whether they are or not.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 5:38 am

If thats the case- that the biggest enemy of any cause is the people who actively promote the cause- someone should tell that to the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 5:47 am

Based on how some environmentalists act, I don't find that strange. I'm pro environmentalism myself, but I don't like to be associated with people who have no understanding of how economy works or people who think a temperature increase of two degrees celcius on the North Pole is worse than polluted air and water in the third world.

When it comes to feminism, you can blame a few feminazis (a term that describes only a minor fraction of all feminists) for what people think. For every Andrea Dworkin in the 60's and 70's, there were at least ten women who lived regular lives, but chose to defy the homemaker norm and instead chose to get an education and work.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 7:13 am

Quote:
The most frequently mentioned traits describing “typical feminists” included “man-hating” and “unhygienic;”...

Evidently they've never met an actual feminist in their lives.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 7:47 am

Or maybe they've met plenty of people who would fit the old definition of feminist in the sense of being egalitarian, but who don't want to be associated with a toxic phrase. Most women nowadays "defy" the old idea of a woman's place being the home with 6 children - an idea which, incidentally, isn't that old in the Anglosphere. Aside from a brief interruption during the industrial revolution, English family sizes were small, with people marrying late and having children late (late being late 20s), and women would work because they had to - without large, extended families or well paying jobs for men, there wasn't really another practical way to do things.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 7:47 am

Interesting article, and it fits with what I've just studied this week in my Social Psychology course. I feel like divisive voices in the media have succeeded in caricaturizing their opponents because of the halo effect, peoples' tendency to assume that people who initially present with a bad quality have only bad qualities (or vice versa). Understanding peoples' complexity takes time and careful consideration, and ain't nobody got time for that.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 9:51 am

The establishment hates people who'd like to change it. Shocking news.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

01 Oct 2013, 10:27 am

People don't like being judged in a negative light and told how to live their lives be it feminists, environmentalists, or anyone else.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 10:57 am

I don't try to force anyone to believe what I believe,and I also could care less if someone hates me for my beliefs.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 12:28 pm

"Gun right" activists are also f*****g annoying

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 1:01 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
The establishment hates people who'd like to change it. Shocking news.

Read again. This isn't about the establishment, this is about ordinary people.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 2:23 pm

Vigilans wrote:
"Gun right" activists are also f***ing annoying

Trolls too.

Personally though, I'll settle for less annoying than anti-gun people; we're more the hedgehog type, completely harmless unless attacked.

- Rick Sanchez

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 2:26 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I find it rather interesting that the people who hold ideals with a current movement are often seen as activists whether they are or not.

Indeed. I personally read that as a great incentive for intragroup criticism, as everyone is going to get tarred by the bad behavior of a few, smacking those few down is highly important to the success of the group's message.

- Rick Sanchez

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 2:27 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
"Gun right" activists are also f***ing annoying

Trolls too.

Personally though, I'll settle for less annoying than anti-gun people; we're more the hedgehog type, completely harmless unless attacked.

That wasn't aimed at you. I'm thinking along the lines of those idiots who forced Starbuck's hand by parading guns around the coffee shops. But at least environmentalists and feminists are engaging in something positive even if they are annoying, they're harmlessly annoying.

I wouldn't expect the vaunted Dox47 to start pulling out the troll card