Jehovah asks Job many thought-provoking questions

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Jan 2014, 11:29 pm

Taken from Job 38:1 - 40:4

Starting with 38:1, Jehovah answered Job out of the windstorm: “Who is this who is obscuring my counsel and speaking without knowledge? Brace yourself, please, like a man; I will question you, and you tell me.

Question 1. Where were you when I founded the earth? Tell me, if you think you understand.

2. Who set its measurements in case you know?

3. Who stretched a measuring line across it?

4. Into what were its pedestals sunk?

5. Who laid its cornerstone, when the morning stars joyfully cried out together, and all the angels began shouting in applause?

6. Who barricaded the sea behind doors when it burst out from the womb, when I clothed it with clouds and wrapped it in thick gloom, when I established my limit for it and put its bars and doors in place, and I said, ‘You may come this far, and no farther; Here is where your proud waves will stop’?

7. Have you ever commanded the morning or made the dawn know its place, to take hold of the ends of the earth and to shake the wicked out of it?

8. Have you gone down to the sources of the sea or explored the deep waters?

9. Have the gates of death been revealed to you?

10. Have you seen the gates of deep darkness?

11. Have you understood the vast expanse of the earth? Tell me, if you know all of this.

12. In which direction does the light reside?

13. Where is the place of darkness, that you should take it to its territory and understand the paths to its home?

14. Do you know this because you were already born and the number of your age is great?

15. Have you entered the storehouses of the snow?

16. Have you seen the storehouses of the hail, which I have reserved for the time of distress, for the day of battle and war?

17. From what direction is light dispersed, and from where does the east wind blow on the earth?

18. Who has cut a channel for the flood and made a path for the thunderous storm cloud, to make it rain where no man lives, on the wilderness where there are no humans, to satisfy devastated wastelands and cause the grass to sprout?

19. Does the rain have a father?

20. Who fathered the dewdrops?

21. From whose womb did the ice emerge?

22. Who gave birth to the frost of heaven when the waters are covered as if with stone, and the surface of the deep waters is frozen solid?

23. Can you tie the ropes of the Taurus constellation, or untie the cords of the Orion constellation?

24. Can you lead out a constellation in its season or guide the Ash constellation along with its sons?

25. Do you know the laws governing the heavens, or can you impose their authority on the earth?

26. Can you raise your voice to the clouds to cause a flood of water to cover you?

27. Can you send out lightning bolts?

28. Will they come and say to you, ‘Here we are!’?

29. Who put wisdom within the clouds or gave understanding to the sky phenomenon?

30. Who is wise enough to count the clouds?

31. Who can tip over the water jars of heaven when the dust pours into a mass and the clods of earth stick together?

32. Can you hunt prey for a lion or satisfy the appetites of young lions when they crouch in their lairs or lie in ambush in their dens?

33. Who prepares food for the raven when its young cry to God for help and wander about because there is nothing to eat?

34. Do you know the time when the mountain goats give birth?

35. Have you watched the deer give birth to their young?

36. Do you count the months that they must complete?

37. Do you know the time when they give birth?

They crouch down when they give birth to their young, And their labor pains end. Their young become strong and grow up in the open field; They go out and do not return to them.

38. Who set the wild donkey free, and who untied the ropes of the wild donkey?

I have made the desert plain its home and the salt land its dwelling. It scorns the tumult of the city; It does not hear the shouts of the driver. It roams the hills, seeking pasture, Looking for every green plant.

39. Is the wild bull willing to serve you?

40. Will it spend the night in your stable?

41. Will you hold a wild bull to the furrow with a rope, or will it follow you to plow the valley?

42. Will you trust in its great strength and let it do your heavy work?

43. Will you rely on it to bring back your harvest, and will it gather it to your threshing floor?

44. The wings of the ostrich flap joyfully, but can her pinions and plumage compare with the stork’s?

For she leaves her eggs on the ground, and she keeps them warm in the dust. She forgets that some foot may crush them or that a wild animal may trample them. She treats her sons harshly, as if they were not hers; She has no fear that her labor may be in vain. For God has deprived her of wisdom And given her no share in understanding. But when she rises up and flaps her wings, she laughs at the horse and at its rider.

45. Are you the one who gives the horse its strength?

46. Do you clothe its neck with a rustling mane?

47. Can you cause it to leap like a locust?

Its majestic snorting is terrifying. It paws the ground in the valley and exults mightily; It charges into the battle. It laughs at fear and is afraid of nothing. It does not turn back because of the sword. The quiver rattles against it, the spear and the javelin flash. Trembling with excitement, it surges forward, it cannot stand still at the sound of the horn. When the horn blows, it says, ‘Aha!’ It smells the battle from afar
And hears the shouting of commanders and the battle cry.

48. Is it by your understanding that the falcon soars, spreading its wings to the south?

49. Or is it at your order that an eagle flies upward and builds its nest high up, spending the night on a cliff, dwelling in its stronghold on a rocky crag?

From there it searches for food; Its eyes look far into the distance. Its young sip up blood; And wherever the slain are, there it is.

50. Should a faultfinder contend with the Almighty? Let the one who wants to reprove God answer.

You know what Job's response was to all these questions?

(Job 40:4) “Look! I am unworthy. What can I reply to you? I put my hand over my mouth."

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 11:33 pm

Then God killed his family and afflicted Job with boils.How very loving.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Jan 2014, 11:49 pm

Satan did that, not Jehovah. Read Job 1:6 - 2:8

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 12:24 am

God stood by and let it happen,he was an accessory after the fact.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 12:34 am

Not only that. It was part of a BET between him and Satan.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 12:37 am

It went like this:

Satan: I bet if I made your favorite loyal servant suffer greatly, he'd lose faith in you.

God: I don't think so.

Satan: Oh, yeah? I can prove this to you.

God: I'd like to see you try.

Satan: I will.

God: Do whatever you deem fit. Just don't kill him.

Satan: Cool. I can't wait to see the outcome.

God: Me, too! I'm gonna go make some eternal popcorn soon.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 2:51 am

kxmode wrote:
Satan did that, not Jehovah. Read Job 1:6 - 2:8

Well this is simply a matter of perspective as MCalavera has already pointed out the whole story is one of a bet between God and Satan. God set the terms for the bet and allowed Satan to work withing them, as an all powerful being God was quite capable of staying Satan's hand, therefore God whilst not carrying out the act was most certainly an accomplice, indeed he aided and abetted the crime. The story of Job is one of the foulest attempts to install blind obedience of the masses in all of fiction, so much for God giving us morals

Also come to think of it have you bible bashers ever wondered why God did not smite Satan when he came before him?

Oh and can you call up your brethren in Ballarat and say I was most disappointed when they chose to exclude my house from their weekend door knocking. A really rather unfortunate decision as I was probably the only one in the street eagerly awaiting their arrival. Nothing like religious sport to kick of the weekend.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 7:46 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_TJbaeiCw0[/youtube]

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 8:05 pm

Hey Kxmode!
You should have carried on with Job 40 then you could have shared with the folk here how the same fella, (Charles Taze Russell), who claimed through his study of scripture that Jesus arrived in 1914, also claimed Behemoth from Job 40, was a Steam Engine, and Leviathan was a Locomotive!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 8:37 pm

kxmode wrote:
Jehovah asks Job many thought-provoking questions

I knew you'd come back.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 8:43 pm

MCalavera wrote:
Not only that. It was part of a BET between him and Satan.

God was evil to Job. I read that story and wept as a child.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 10:16 pm

Job is one of my favorite stories because it shows that suffering isn't infinite and there is a light at the end of the tunnel if you keep faith.

The story starts with God and Satan talking (because in Judaism, Satan is a servant of God who serves as a prosecutor) and Satan says that Job is righteous only because he gets what he wants.

God does permit Satan to make Job suffer as a test, but Satan is never given the power to kill Job. In fact, Satan is forbidden from killing him.

Job's friends get him to curse the day and Job and God have a long discussion.

In the end, Job, for his faith, is given double what he had.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 10:39 pm

I would have preferred to keep what I originally had,than to go through what Job did.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 11:05 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I would have preferred to keep what I originally had,than to go through what Job did.
Amen to that; I still struggle with accepting that whole situation.

One noteworthy point is that God never asks anyone a question to seek information. He already knows the answers, so there's always a different purpose. For example, when Adam & Eve ate from the forbidden tree, God appeared saying, "Adam, where are you?" That was His way of giving Adam the chance to come clean instead of blaming anyone else, but the reverse happened. Adam blamed both God and Eve, and she in turn blamed the serpent. Neither of them were willing to face the truth of their own rebellion.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 11:35 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
God never asks anyone a question to seek information. He already knows the answers.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6-zi25GgVE[/youtube]

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 11:41 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
Job is one of my favorite stories because it shows that suffering isn't infinite and there is a light at the end of the tunnel if you keep faith.

The story starts with God and Satan talking (because in Judaism, Satan is a servant of God who serves as a prosecutor) and Satan says that Job is righteous only because he gets what he wants.

God does permit Satan to make Job suffer as a test, but Satan is never given the power to kill Job. In fact, Satan is forbidden from killing him.

Job's friends get him to curse the day and Job and God have a long discussion.

In the end, Job, for his faith, is given double what he had.

Job always honored God so God should have protected him. It was really hateful of God to abandon him. The Bible talks about it like everything can be replaced. Satan will make you suffer but God will give you a new family, new land, new wealth. Maybe some things simply cannot be replaced?
Just because Satan doesn't kill Job is nothing to brag about because Job was tortured.

I would have liked the story more if God would have just looked down and shrugged at all the bad things mankind goes through in indifference only to feel guilty later and fix it for some of them. Not everyone gets a fix, either. This cutting deals is bothersome. Not that I believe in God or Satan. The story is just disturbing. I like for things to be truer than that. Know thyself over this compromise between good and evil or whatever it is.