Page 3 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 11:03 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Quote:

Racism is not a synonym for "racial prejudice". It means racial prejudice plus power. So though the question poised in the original may succeed in its intent to sound ridiculous- it is in fact NOT ridiculous. The fact is -for practical purposes- for most of the last few centuries -in most of the world- YES only Whites can be (and were) racist-because only whites had power.

Again:strictly speaking:

Racism =/= prejudice

Hmmm...seems Merriam-Webster disagrees with you

Quote:
Full definition of racism
1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2: racial prejudice or discrimination

I think we need to be careful about granting certain groups the "privilege" of openly espousing negative beliefs directed at any other group. When we say that blacks can't be racist (or any other minority), it can be perceived as implied permission to be hateful because you have somehow "earned" it due to your minority status and the *ism that you have faced. This is nonsense. Not only is it nonsense, it is bizarre. How can I claim that it is wrong for people to judge me because of my gender, and then turn around with equal vigor and judge the other gender?

Being the victim of any *ism does not grant you the right to try to even the score. Prejudice and bigotry are wrong no matter who is the target and no matter who is the perpetrator.

LoveNotHate...my kids are of mixed race and for the longest time, probably up until 3rd grade, my daughter called white people "peach" and said she had never met a white person yet! LOL!

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

31 Dec 2014, 11:42 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Whites have rightly or wrongly been saddled the most with charges of racism because white men have had the power for a much longer time to act out their racial hatred. Now, racism has been democratized, and anyone can do it. Aint it grand!?!?

Racism is not a synonym for "racial prejudice". It means racial prejudice plus power. So though the question poised in the original may succeed in its intent to sound ridiculous- it is in fact NOT ridiculous. The fact is -for practical purposes- for most of the last few centuries -in most of the world- YES only Whites can be (and were) racist-because only whites had power.

Racism =/= prejudice

Strictly speaking:

Racism = prejudice + power.

Nonwhites were always free to be racially prejudiced. And often were racially prejudiced. But for the last five centuries Europe dominated the planet, and people of European descent dominated within countries over folks from other continents. So for most of post Columbus history, for practical purposes, YES- only whites WERE racist (except in rare local circumstances) because only Whites had the power to enforce their racial prejudice.

But as K said -nowadays nonwhite individuals, and nonwhite countries, are gaining power, and equality. So now EVERYONE can be racist! Whoopie! :roll:

This is the weird Cultural Marxist redefinition, if I look in the dictionary that's not the definition. What is the point of the distinction? I think the term that applies with power is institutional racism. To me it comes off as a rationalization or their own hatred, "well its okay to hate since this person's race did something I don't like". Collectivized guilt is racist. Isn't it racist to assume that non-whites can't have any power in any situation or environment? I certainly didn't feel "privileged" being white growing up in a mostly non-white area, often times I was ostracized or even victimized because of it even.

There is no collectivized "power", as you know the people that actually have power in this world are a tiny tiny fraction of a %. Me as individual has about the same power as any oppressed minority, I honestly oppressed in some ways as well. Something you wouldn't know from these dumby SJWs(who are generally real privileged college educated whites) is that white people make up 50% of those in poverty and these same dullards are also the ones that turn around bash these people's culture and for "voting against their interests." Is it any surprise when you lump the entire invented "white race" together, when you put this collectivized guilty, this original sin on all these whites as some monolithic grouping that they might think you're attacking them as well? We have an obsession about race in this country to the point where the much more relevant class issues are completely ignored and this is probably be design. No meaningful change can happen with this line of thinking, only the battle lines can be drawn and tension can only rise.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 12:29 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Isn't it racist to assume that non-whites can't have any power in any situation or environment?

Yes it is. It isn't racist to recognize that the white people with power outnumber the non-white people in power though.

There can be black people in power that are prejudiced against white people. Let's say this prejudice gives a +2 advantage to black people and a -2 to everyone else. Then there are white people in power with anti-black prejiduce. Since there are more of them it gives a +7 and a -7.

I know those numbers are made up but it's the best way to illustrate what I think the far left anti-racists are trying to say. It seems to me that they're saying white supremacy outweighs anti-white racism. Even if anti-white racism exists it's cancelled out by the racism that favours white people. Anybody can be racist but only white people experience a net benefit from racism.

That's what I hear when I listen to cultural Marxists talk about institutional racism.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

31 Dec 2014, 12:57 pm

seaturtleisland wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Isn't it racist to assume that non-whites can't have any power in any situation or environment?

Yes it is. It isn't racist to recognize that the white people with power outnumber the non-white people in power though.

There can be black people in power that are prejudiced against white people. Let's say this prejudice gives a +2 advantage to black people and a -2 to everyone else. Then there are white people in power with anti-black prejiduce. Since there are more of them it gives a +7 and a -7.

I know those numbers are made up but it's the best way to illustrate what I think the far left anti-racists are trying to say. It seems to me that they're saying white supremacy outweighs anti-white racism. Even if anti-white racism exists it's cancelled out by the racism that favours white people. Anybody can be racist but only white people experience a net benefit from racism.

That's what I hear when I listen to cultural Marxists talk about institutional racism.

I'm not denying their isn't racism, I'm not even saying it isn't an institutional problem. To me, I think a lot of the issues that are deem racial issues such police brutality, poverty, the War on Drugs, or plenty others to the point that it that pigeonholes the issues. I think I personally on this website probably have some of the strongest feelings on these subjects and I recognize that these problems are particularly relevant to minority and poor communities in this country. Most of those issues are issues of class as well and it's more than even just that. They're moral right and wrong issues to me, our country was founded on but hasn't often lived up to the principle that all men are created equal endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights. So some cop not unjustly beating the s**t out of me because I'm white isn't an example white privilege but rather just my right as a human being, liberty is not a privilege it's a right. I see myself and other as individuals, its when you start grouping and collectivizing that you run into racism and discrimination.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 1:20 pm

Inventor wrote:
blunnet wrote:
Some black people are racist against hispanics and "viceversa". There you have an answer.

Everyone is racist and sexist, but white males are blamed because we are far and away the best at it.

Look at our side, we are what everyone wants to get over on. Besides the usual, ethnics and females, we get the white male infighting. It is like dealing with a bunch of children, calling names, making threats they cannot back up, who have to be told to sit down and eat your vegies, do your homework, or whatever.

Women demand equality, then yell sexism when treated like a male. Maybe that worked on your daddy, boyfriend, or someone who wants to get in your pants, but to the vast majority, you are some stranger with a big mouth, who thinks I care.

The root of white maleism is a friend of mine, he fired his whole crew, one at a time, because his business was his life, and it was supposed to be fun. They were all white. It is the adult version of being sent to your room, by someone who is not your parent.

Wives, children, family, the tax man, we have all the problems we can deal with.

We are much harder on other white males.

There are human standards of behavior, those who violate them are soon gone, or never let in the door.

Many women and minorities have made their way to the top of the world, and many white men have been stuck working in a sawmill all of their life. Dave Thomas founder of Wendy's was an orphan, not much education, took his first job flipping burgers to owning a national chain. He was good at running other low wage and education workers.

Social Justice is when you get what you deserve.

No not everyone is sexist or racist.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 1:23 pm

tall-p wrote:
Racism is much more than racial bigotry, prejudice, discrimination. Racism is about power and prejudice, and bigotry. There is no Black privilege. But try to convince most white people that there IS white privilege, and most won't believe it. The average white family has a bank balance twenty times that of the average Black family. That is the result of racism.

Here is an article that was on many people's ten best essays of 2014 list: The New Racism~
This is how the civil rights movement ends. http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1190 ... se-alabama

Evidence the average white family has a bank balance that much drastically higher than the average black person would be helpful....otherwise must take that with a larger grain of salt. I personally do not feel I am included within any existing white privelege, seems like if you're poor and with you get treated just as bad as being a minority.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 1:57 pm

Jacoby wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Whites have rightly or wrongly been saddled the most with charges of racism because white men have had the power for a much longer time to act out their racial hatred. Now, racism has been democratized, and anyone can do it. Aint it grand!?!?

Racism =/= prejudice

Strictly speaking:

Racism = prejudice + power.

Nonwhites were always free to be racially prejudiced. And often were racially prejudiced. But for the last five centuries Europe dominated the planet, and people of European descent dominated within countries over folks from other continents. So for most of post Columbus history, for practical purposes, YES- only whites WERE racist (except in rare local circumstances) because only Whites had the power to enforce their racial prejudice.

But as K said -nowadays nonwhite individuals, and nonwhite countries, are gaining power, and equality. So now EVERYONE can be racist! Whoopie! :roll:

This is the weird Cultural Marxist redefinition, if I look in the dictionary that's not the definition. What is the point of the distinction? I think the term that applies with power is institutional racism. To me it comes off as a rationalization or their own hatred, "well its okay to hate since this person's race did something I don't like". Collectivized guilt is racist. Isn't it racist to assume that non-whites can't have any power in any situation or environment? I certainly didn't feel "privileged" being white growing up in a mostly non-white area, often times I was ostracized or even victimized because of it even.

There is no collectivized "power", as you know the people that actually have power in this world are a tiny tiny fraction of a %. Me as individual has about the same power as any oppressed minority, I honestly oppressed in some ways as well. Something you wouldn't know from these dumby SJWs(who are generally real privileged college educated whites) is that white people make up 50% of those in poverty and these same dullards are also the ones that turn around bash these people's culture and for "voting against their interests." Is it any surprise when you lump the entire invented "white race" together, when you put this collectivized guilty, this original sin on all these whites as some monolithic grouping that they might think you're attacking them as well? We have an obsession about race in this country to the point where the much more relevant class issues are completely ignored and this is probably be design. No meaningful change can happen with this line of thinking, only the battle lines can be drawn and tension can only rise.

But the thing is, poor whites do more times than they should vote against their own interests. And in the past, corrupt politicians representing the interests of the upper class had led poor whites to do this by appealing to the notion that their "white status" was in danger. Just as today, the same kind of politicians use less direct racist language by using code words for racial minorities, such as welfare queens, welfare cheats, eaters, takers,etc. The same way said politicians today use homphobia and Anti-Muslim sentiment to mislead angry poor whites by providing a scapegoat for any reason why they aren't getting ahead, or why the world is changing too fast.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 2:16 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
tall-p wrote:
Racism is much more than racial bigotry, prejudice, discrimination. Racism is about power and prejudice, and bigotry. There is no Black privilege. But try to convince most white people that there IS white privilege, and most won't believe it. The average white family has a bank balance twenty times that of the average Black family. That is the result of racism.

Here is an article that was on many people's ten best essays of 2014 list: The New Racism~
This is how the civil rights movement ends. http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1190 ... se-alabama

Evidence the average white family has a bank balance that much drastically higher than the average black person would be helpful....otherwise must take that with a larger grain of salt. I personally do not feel I am included within any existing white privelege, seems like if you're poor and with you get treated just as bad as being a minority.

But not as bad as a minority that is also poor

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 3:06 pm

I see two extremes in this debate. One extreme completely denies or minimizes racism and the other redefines racism as prejudice + power. The way I see it, racism obviously affects minorities far more than whites in North America which justifies the focus on whites. I also don't see how cracker or honkey is anywhere near as demeaning as racial slurs against minorities. However, I think it's ridiculous to redefine racism so that minorities cannot be racist whatsoever. Racism from minorities against the majority definitely doesn't carry the same power to affect the lives of the majority but when you try to separate the element of prejudice from racism it's just arguing semantics.

I get the idea of white privilege though. Experiencing life as the majority does keep you out of touch unless you really go out of your way to look into it. I guess the word "privilege" isn't the best choice of words but the idea is right. I'd rather call it a thin white veil or something.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 3:10 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
I live in the US and "white people" are mostly pink/tan color.

See
Flesh color crayon is mid-range pinkish beige

there needs to be different tones of crayon "flesh."

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 3:13 pm

auntblabby wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
I live in the US and "white people" are mostly pink/tan color.

See
Flesh color crayon is mid-range pinkish beige

there needs to be different tones of crayon "flesh."

Or at least change "flesh color" to something else.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 3:23 pm

^^^^
interesting that I've heard people refer to peach skin as "[peach] flesh." Image

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 3:24 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^^
interesting that I've heard people refer to peach skin as "[peach] flesh." Image

I don't think I've ever heard that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 3:29 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
^^^^

I don't think I've ever heard that.

or referred to peach skin as "the flesh of the peach."

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 3:38 pm

Hah, flesh coloured. As if everyone's flesh or skin is that of a Caucasian. Looks like Crayola's white privilege is showing :lol:.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 3:45 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
Hah, flesh coloured. As if everyone's flesh or skin is that of a Caucasian. Looks like Crayola's white privilege is showing :lol:.

I suspect the flesh colored crayon was named back when most Americans were (north European) whites, and the feelings of anyone outside this group were hardly taken into account.