Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 8:58 pm

How honest is it to present an extreme fringe person as being representative of a whole sector of society?

I've been investigating the notion that atheists are considered abnormal. But I was shocked at the level of exaggeration used to present such an argument. Based on this link, atheism is a sickness that is not only absent of morals, but is actually morally perverse. It equates atheism with APD (antisocial personality disorder).

As a curious aside, it also notes the following associated evils: "sexual immorality like homosexuality or "women on top" positions, drug/alcohol abuse, rebellion, feminism, oreo cookies, jazz music, following liberal politics, yoga, and transcendental meditation"

Further reading suggests that atheism is prompted by some sort of adolescent reaction / non-conformity, possibly due to poor father figure and other negative influences.

According to his book Atheist Personality Disorder: Addressing a Distorted Mindset, by Fr John J. Pasquini, there are 3 types of atheist. 1. Categorical, a reasoned inability to comprehend the possibility of God, which leads to 2. Militant atheism, the desire to convert God-believers, and 3. Practical atheists, for whom God's existence is irrelevant to meaning and decision making.

He goes on to say that atheism is a disorder precipitated by conscious or subconscious wounds. He says that with counseling and medication, atheism can be managed and even healed.

I'm discovering that the above is just the tip of the iceberg. But a lot of it comes down to two things. The first is circular logic. The second is the brown dog analogy. If all dogs are brown and that animal over there is brown, then it must be a dog. In other words, if an atheist is identified as APD, atheism is responsible, therefor atheism is a disorder.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2015, 9:03 pm

Landover Baptist is a satire site.

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 9:05 pm

Narrator wrote:
As a curious aside, it also notes the following associated evils: "sexual immorality like homosexuality or "women on top" positions, drug/alcohol abuse, rebellion, feminism, oreo cookies, jazz music, following liberal politics, yoga, and transcendental meditation"

Yeah, it's really blatant satire...

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 9:08 pm

ReticentJaeger wrote:

Whew... it seemed too well created.. lol

But the book surely isn't satire...

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 11:07 am

Disturbing that it is more or less indistinguishable from the real thing. :twisted:

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 11:12 am

Narrator wrote:
ReticentJaeger wrote:

Whew... it seemed too well created.. lol

But the book surely isn't satire...

Satire doesn't always mean that the writer doesn't agree with the sentiment, in which case, the satire is just a dodge.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 12:54 pm

Here is the book on 'google/books',

Atheist Personality Disorder: Addressing A Distorted Mindset

His premise ...

"Atheism leads to the death of a culture. It leads to a pagan, barbaric, anarchistic culture. Just as the lives of the world's most famous atheists have left a legacy of anger, bitterness, despair, and moral and mental collapse, so too will the cultures they sought to build: Niietzshe the god atheism, the superman, became a bumbling broken down wreck. The society he sought to foster, and which had come about to a great degree, will also become a bumbling broken down wreck if we do not wake up from our slumber -- if we do not see through the atheist delusion" [page 32]

https://books.google.com/books?id=0DTyO ... et&f=false

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 1:02 pm

My first impression was that this must be a joke. I didn't know it was from a satire site but that doesn't surprise me. I would've been totally shocked if it was meant seriously. I assumed that it wasn't.

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 1:45 pm

Pasquini is for real. He seems to be stuck in the 16th century, though, just going by the titles and snippets of his books. Mainline Protestants are "pseudo-Christians"?

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 2:17 pm

That site is hilarious. Thanks for introducing us to it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 2:24 pm

So even though the Landover Baptist Church (not to be confused with the Westboro Baptist Church) is a satire site the book theyre talking about is real, and not a satire.

Wow!

Finally someone is getting to grips with the new "Copernican Revolution"! Its about time!

Didnt know that God didnt approve of oreo cookies!

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 5:22 pm

seaturtleisland wrote:
My first impression was that this must be a joke. I didn't know it was from a satire site but that doesn't surprise me. I would've been totally shocked if it was meant seriously. I assumed that it wasn't.

The trouble is, people do think that way, and even to that extreme. People honestly think atheism means the whole person is abnormal, amoral, unhappy, mentally ill etc.

PhoenixFalcon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Feb 2015, 9:09 pm

Yes, it's satire, but to be fair, there are people who legitimately believe that some of those things listed are evil.