Page 3 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 7:09 am

Where_am_I wrote:
You are all rather thick.

Everyone knows their job is to protect Whoopie Goldberg from mobsters.

And to sing! :D

https://youtu.be/rHASQg8fR0s

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 8:53 am

^
Actually ...I used to think that the first great musical composer was a man...J.S. Bach, who lived 300 years ago.

But when I took a college course in music I learned that that honor goes a woman who lived a 1000 years ago... a nun named Hildegard Van Bingen (who composed Gregorian chant music).

Someone else mentioned her above, but that post seems to have vanished for some reason.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 8:58 am

That's very interesting. :)

There's always been very talented women throughout history (not just nuns of course) but sadly they were often overshadowed by men.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 9:19 am

And speaking of the Vestal Virgins, Hestia is probably one of my favorite goddesses in Greek Mythology (in Rome she was known as Vesta but was essentially the same deity).

Oddly enough she wasnt an important part of mythology itself and there are very few stories involving her, and yet she was a very important figure in the religions of both the Ancient Greeks and Romans. The Greeks dedicated every hearth in the home as a shrine to her as she was the Goddess of the Hearth and the protector of the Home and Family. And the Romans had temples dedicated to her that kept a fire burning at all times and believed that keeping the fire alive and her priestesses virginity preserved was essential to keeping the Roman State strong and stable.

In many ways the goddess herself was like a nun of sorts. She willingly chose to reject marriage to keep the peace between the other gods to prevent another war from breaking out and spent her days tending the hearth and making the home a comfortable and welcoming place for relatives and guests. The virtues she taught were about being hospitable and charitable basically (much like Christian nuns :) )

And honestly compared to the other pantheons she was probably one of the few that wasn't cruel and selfish in the way she treated mortals. In some ways she reminded me of Prometheous, the God who gave the gift of fire to mankind out of pity (and was sadly punished for it by the gods).

Both Hestia and Prometheous were linked to the divine fire that humans could not survive without as it warms our homes and cooks our meals.

Here's a cool video about Hestia aka Vesta. :)

https://youtu.be/3XlLTbsF6iM

Chuckster
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2023, 9:32 am

naturalplastic wrote:
^
Actually ...I used to think that the first great musical composer was a man...J.S. Bach, who lived 300 years ago.

But when I took a college course in music I learned that that honor goes a woman who lived a 1000 years ago... a nun named Hildegard Van Bingen (who composed Gregorian chant music).

Someone else mentioned her above, but that post seems to have vanished for some reason.

Hmm I can see it, it's on the first page, tenth post:

Chuckster wrote:
babybird wrote:
Yes it is very interesting. Thank you everyone

st hildegard was quite prolific, composed some awesome monophonic music, among many other things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6qFCYRQKVA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hildegard_of_Bingen

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 11:58 am

babybird wrote:

f*****g heathens

I'll become a Heathen if that's her job. 8)

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 1:57 pm

https://www.northernexpress.com/news/fe ... childhood/

Quote:

When the Holy Childhood Of Jesus School in Harbor Springs was demolished last fall, so too, perhaps, was some of the evidence of alleged sexual and physical abuse....

...the school had dormitories for the children. Jerry slept in a large room along with 60 other young boys slept in the young boy’s dormitory. Sister Fran (not her real name) was their housemother, a plain and rather plump nun in her 20s. Each night, she’d kiss each boy on the forehead, but she’d kiss her favorite boys on the lips and tickle them. A couple of years ticked by and Jerry said her kisses grew longer as she “taught” him how to give her hickies all over her body...

...a 29-year-old nun had been luring Jerry into pleasuring her underneath her long black robes as she sat on the couch. The affair went into his eighth-grade year, when she confessed to him that she might be pregnant...

... he saw Jerry kissing the nun on a couch when they were watching television. He said she also kissed other boys, including a third grader. Raphael said the nun began her seduction by kissing the boys goodnight. As the boys became older, the two nuns would sneak the boys into their bedrooms — which were right off the large dormitory rooms — at night, and the boys would leave early in the morning. The boys said they resisted at first, but the nuns showered them with proclamations of love and special privileges, such as buying candy at the Feathers Variety Store in downtown Harbor Springs or letting them watch movies at the Lyric Theatre. Russell Menefee, now 59, told the Grand Rapids Press that one of the nuns would walk into the dormitory after everyone had been tucked in. She stopped at his bed and fondled him at least a dozen times. One student from this era told Veronica Pasfield he lost his virginity to the nun at the age of 15...

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 2:05 pm

I wonder why there's so much focus on the sexual abuse in the Catholic church when Protestant churches are just as bad about this sort of thing?

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 2:51 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I wonder why there's so much focus on the sexual abuse in the Catholic church when Protestant churches are just as bad about this sort of thing?

Well, the Catholics had the boarding schools and orphanages, where there were plenty of vulnerable children.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 3:01 pm

In times more ancient than the Roman Empire, women had the important function of temple harlots, which you can see in the Epic of Gilgamesh

http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/mes ... h/tab1.htm

Quote:

...The trapper addressed his father saying:"

"Father, a certain fellow has come from the mountains.
He is the mightiest in the land,
his strength is as mighty as the meteorite(?) of Anu!
He continually goes over the mountains,
he continually jostles at the watering place with the animals,
he continually plants his feet opposite the watering place.
I was afraid, so I did not go up to him.
He filled in the pits that I had dug,
wrenched out my traps that I had spread,
released from my grasp the wild animals.
He does not let me make my rounds in the wilderness!"

The trapper's father spoke to him saying:
"My son, there lives in Uruk a certain Gilgamesh...
Go, set off to Uruk,
tell Gilgamesh of this Man of Might.
He will give you the harlot Shamhat, take her with you.
The woman will overcome the fellow (?) as if she were strong.
When the animals are drinking at the watering place
have her take off her robe and expose her sex.
When he sees her he will draw near to her,
and his animals, who grew up in his wilderness, will be alien to him."...

The trapper went, bringing the harlot, Shamhat, with him.
They set off on the journey, making direct way.
On the third day they arrived at the appointed place,
and the trapper and the harlot sat down at their posts(?).
A first day and a second they sat opposite the watering hole.
The animals arrived and drank at the watering hole,
the wild beasts arrived and slaked their thirst with water.
Then he, Enkidu, offspring of the mountains,
who eats grasses with the gazelles,
came to drink at the watering hole with the animals,
with the wild beasts he slaked his thirst with water.

Then Shamhat saw him--a primitive,
a savage fellow from the depths of the wilderness!
"That is he, Shamhat! Release your clenched arms,
expose your sex so he can take in your voluptuousness.
Do not be restrained--take his energy!
When he sees you he will draw near to you.
Spread out your robe so he can lie upon you,
and perform for this primitive the task of womankind!
His animals, who grew up in his wilderness, will become alien to him,
and his lust will groan over you."

Shamhat unclutched her bosom, exposed her sex, and he took in her voluptuousness.
She was not restrained, but took his energy.
She spread out her robe and he lay upon her,
she performed for the primitive the task of womankind.
His lust groaned over her;
for six days and seven nights Enkidu stayed aroused,
and had intercourse with the harlot
until he was sated with her charms.
But when he turned his attention to his animals,
the gazelles saw Enkidu and darted off,
the wild animals distanced themselves from his body.
Enkidu ... his utterly depleted(?) body,
his knees that wanted to go off with his animals went rigid;
Enkidu was diminished, his running was not as before.

But then he drew himself up, for his understanding had broadened.
Turning around, he sat down at the harlot's feet,
gazing into her face, his ears attentive as the harlot spoke.

The harlot said to Enkidu:
"You are beautiful," Enkidu, you are become like a god.
Why do you gallop around the wilderness with the wild beasts?
Come, let me bring you into Uruk-Haven,
to the Holy Temple, the residence of Anu and Ishtar,
the place of Gilgamesh, who is wise to perfection,
but who struts his power over the people like a wild bull."
What she kept saying found favor with him.

Becoming aware of himself, he sought a friend.
Enkidu spoke to the harlot:
"Come, Shamhat, take me away with you
to the sacred Holy Temple, the residence of Anu and Ishtar,...

The temple harlots clearly had a civilizing effect, much more important than modern nuns.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 3:02 pm

Honey69 wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Well, the Catholics had the boarding schools and orphanages, where there were plenty of vulnerable children.

But same is true of different Protestant sects, at least in some areas. Anglicans would be the best example.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 3:09 pm

Honey69 wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

I guess that's a good point... with Protestant churches this sort of thing tends to happen more at church camps etc but there's also pastors who take advantage of vulnerable women in their congregation, women who get shunned by their local church community if they dare to speak out against his misconduct.

But I think that happens in all religions to be honest. Being a priest comes with a kind of power over the people who listen to you and wherever you find power in this world you will also find corrupt individuals willing to exploit it for purely selfish and sinister reasons.

Which is pretty much how cults always gey started. :nerdy:

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 3:16 pm

Honey69 wrote:
In times more ancient than the Roman Empire, women had the important function of temple harlots, which you can see in the Epic of Gilgamesh

Oh yes like the priestesses of Inanna aka Ishtar (The Mesopotamian Fertility Goddess of Love & War who inspired the Greco-Roman Aphrodite aka Venus).

For Gods and Goddesses of fertility the priestesses and even male priests would engage in sacred orgies for various things like bringing rain to crops etc.

I know this was true for Inanna and Venus, and I imagine the same might have been true for Bacchus as he was the God of Wine, Theater, and "Ritual Madness" and was also a fertility God. So was Pan the God of Fertility who had the horn and legs of a goat.

There were probably countless "Fertility Gods". :)

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 3:29 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:

but there's also pastors who take advantage of vulnerable women in their congregation, women who get shunned by their local church community if they dare to speak out against his misconduct.

That's not as bad as doing children. At least with adult women, there is some sense of legal consent.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 3:34 pm

Honey69 wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

but there's also pastors who take advantage of vulnerable women in their congregation, women who get shunned by their local church community if they dare to speak out against his misconduct.

That's not as bad as doing children. At least with adult women, there is some sense of legal consent.

While I can understand why taking advantage of children is regarded as worst there is no "legal consent" about anybody being raped. Im sorry but just because a woman (or even a man) is of legal age when it happens that does make make it a lesser evil.

Chuckster
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2023, 4:09 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Honey69 wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

I guess that's a good point... with Protestant churches this sort of thing tends to happen more at church camps etc but there's also pastors who take advantage of vulnerable women in their congregation, women who get shunned by their local church community if they dare to speak out against his misconduct.

But I think that happens in all religions to be honest. Being a priest comes with a kind of power over the people who listen to you and wherever you find power in this world you will also find corrupt individuals willing to exploit it for purely selfish and sinister reasons.

Which is pretty much how cults always gey started. :nerdy:

yep, and children get abused in the protestant churches too - these are just a few examples:
https://research.lifeway.com/2019/05/21 ... y-pastors/
https://www.crimrxiv.com/pub/p1afmq2i/release/1
https://www.dw.com/en/germany-study-sta ... a-59647549

it'd take a few min to find offenders in other religions too, yes.