How are you going to celebrate when trump gets convicted?

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

rocksteady85
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Dec 2023, 9:17 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I suppose time will tell, but it seems to me like people are catastrophizing.

I have a very real fear of his followers/supporters. We saw what happened when he lost the first time, I am very concerned about what will happen if he loses again or if he actually is expected to face any real consequences.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2023, 9:27 pm

there are some very bad people supporting him. very bad in the same way as there were very bad people in germany during WW2, and Godwin himself says this.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2023, 9:44 pm

rocksteady85 wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
I suppose time will tell, but it seems to me like people are catastrophizing.

I have a very real fear of his followers/supporters. We saw what happened when he lost the first time, I am very concerned about what will happen if he loses again or if he actually is expected to face any real consequences.

s**t is going to hit the fan.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2023, 9:47 pm

It certainly is, but I don’t think it’s likely to be comparable to what happened in Nazi Germany during WWII.

I’m pretty sure people made similar predictions when Trump was initially elected AND when he was seeking reelection. Catastrophizing seems to happen during most elections now that I think about it. :chin:

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 31 Dec 2023, 11:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2023, 9:51 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
It certainly is, but I don’t think it’s likely to be comparable to what happened in Nazi Germany during WWII.

I’m pretty sure people made similar predictions when Trump was initially elected. Catastrophisizing seems to happen during most elections now that I think about it.

I don't recall in detail, but I don't believe people were anticipating a dictatorship 8 years ago, as they do now.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2023, 9:52 pm

MaxE wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

I’m pretty sure people made similar predictions when Trump was initially elected. Catastrophisizing seems to happen during most elections now that I think about it.

I don't recall in detail, but I don't believe people were anticipating a dictatorship 8 years ago, as they do now.

Some certainly were.

6 million Jews died during the Holocaust. Having Trump as President again would seriously suck, but I don’t think it would be THAT extreme.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2023, 10:00 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:

I’m pretty sure people made similar predictions when Trump was initially elected.

He’s spent two more years radicalizing cult 45. After he loses and/or gets convicted he’s going to be all too happy to turn his nutjob loose and watch America burn if he can’t have it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2023, 10:02 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
MaxE wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

Some certainly were.

6 million Jews died during the Holocaust. Having Trump as President again would seriously suck, but I don’t think it would be THAT extreme.

Why not? America has already been more extreme when it comes to murder and genocide.

America’s founders murdered nearly 100 MILLION indigenous people over a span of a century and a half or so in a near complete genocide. Hitler modelled his killing spree after them.

Who’s to say what’s already happened here before can’t happen again?

Perhaps people who’ve forgotten this history.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2023, 10:06 pm

^ Who’s forgotten it? :roll: That stuff happened a long time ago and doesn’t say much about modern society in America.

I suppose time will tell. I’m not saying bad things won’t happen; they will. I just do not foresee it being as bad as some are claiming. There’s perhaps something in-between nothing and the Holocaust.

When people make predictions and they don’t come true, no one ever says: “I was wrong about that.”

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 31 Dec 2023, 11:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2023, 10:07 pm

it may not be 100% as bad as what godwin is warning us about, but i have a knotty feeling in my stomach that it will be pretty bad nonetheless.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2023, 10:18 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
^ Who’s forgotten it? :roll: That stuff happened a long time ago and doesn’t say much about modern society in America.

I suppose time will tell. I’m not saying bad things won’t happen; they will. I just do not foresee it being as bad as some are claiming. There’s perhaps something in-between nothing and the Holocaust.

It’s kind of a pointless debate. When people make predictions and nothing happens, no one ever says: “I was wrong about that.”

Were not predicting the Holocaust.
Were predicting the end of American democracy. If Trump is relected he will become a Latin American style dictator. One percent as bad "the Holocaust" but even one percent would be a catastrophe.

Out system of checks and balances is already strained to the limits by the effects of the first Trump administration. And his big lie, and trying to steal the election.

Last edited by Cornflake on 01 Jan 2024, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.: Removed a personal attack

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2023, 10:20 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

It’s kind of a pointless debate. When people make predictions and nothing happens, no one ever says: “I was wrong about that.”

Were not predicting the Holocaust.

Some have said that that it would be no different to Nazi Germany if he happens to be elected. I suppose I should’ve stated that.

I very much hope that he’s not elected, but I don’t think something equivalent to Nazi Germany is likely.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 01 Jan 2024, 12:56 am, edited 6 times in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2023, 10:23 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
MaxE wrote:
I don't see any point in celebrating his conviction.

Me neither, but for different reasons.

I get the argument that Trump should face justice the same as anyone else but that only works so long as everyone has faith in the justice system. Trump supporters aren't going to change their minds about him because he's found guilty of anything. They'll just call it a stitch up.

I think any significant conviction of Trump at this point (i.e. incarceration) would be a phyrric victory. It might even be worse for the US than a second Trump presidency. Although probably better for the wider world.

He needs to be shown to be a loser at the ballot box again. Preferably by a larger margin than before. Then the GOP can move on from him and he'll be left with just the cranks in his corner. Then you can prosecute. And then we can all celebrate.

The GOP won't move on. The GOP shouldn't even exist anymore.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2024, 3:40 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
The GOP won't move on.

Of course they will, if Trump keeps losing them elections.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2024, 4:18 am

DuckHairback wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
The GOP won't move on.

They’ll worship trump as long as the cult followers have a hard on for the orange guy. Even if trump dies they’ll pander to his base with fake tears and all that BS.

Last edited by goldfish21 on 01 Jan 2024, 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2024, 4:36 am

goldfish21 wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
The GOP won't move on.

They’ll worship trump as long as the cult followers have a hard on for the orange guy. Even if trump dies they’ll pander to his base with fake tears and al that BS.

Not if there's not enough of them to put him in the White House they won't.

They're cynical, not stupid.

The cult of Trump is built around him being a winner, not his actual ideology (if he even has a coherent ideology).

If you truly want America to return to normal non populist politics he needs to fail the test of your democratic processes. Multiple times.

If you just want the temporary high of seeing the bad man in an orange jumpsuit then okay, but it won't solve the bigger problem.