Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2024, 9:54 pm

Isis is a good choice. :)

Also Hecate the Greek Goddess of Witchcraft. When Hades orchestrated the kidnapping of Demeter's daughter Persephone and drug her to the Underworld and Demeter did like any worried mother would do searched everyehere for her daughter, it was said in some versions of this myth that Hecate felt sympathy for Demeter's plight and with a torch in hand led her down into the Underworld to where Hades was keeping her daughter.

Hecate could travel between the realms of the heavens, the earth, and the underworld freely which was why she was able to help Demeter find Persephone.

And after Persephone married Hades and became Queen of the Underworld it was Hecate appointed as the young queen's advisor and attendant and Hecate used her keys to access the different realms to assist Persephone in travelling safely from the Underworld to Earth to visit with her mother Demeter during the Spring and Summer months.

Like Lilith Hecate is also becoming a popular "Dark Goddess" in the New Agey neopagan stuff, but I personally think she's better than Lilith because Hecate at least had a soft spot for another woman who lost her beloved daughter.

And Hecate was literally the 'Goddess of Witchcraft'. The title of witch can be empowering to women me thinks (as a male witch myself).

https://www.maicar.com/GML/Hecate.html

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2024, 10:59 pm

I think Nyx has all these goddesses beat.

Zeus was a big jerk who treated every goddess and mortal woman like crap including his own wife Hera.

But the only deity he was afraid to mess with according to mythology was Nyx the primordial Night Goddess.

Nyx was neither Godddess nor Titaness but something much more ancient. She was one of the primordial creation deities much like Gaia the Goddess of the Earth and her mate Uranus the God of the Heavens.

Unlike Uranus who was murdered by their son Cronus and Gaia who went into a deep slumber after failing to stop her children the Gods and Titans from fighting, Nyx very much stayed in power and ruled over the night sky.

She had many children of her own, some who could cause mischief for the gods and mortals and would hide safely in her darkness where Zeus dared not to enter out of fear of angering the Mother of the Night. So that means the Ancient Greeks accepted that she was actually more powerful than the King of the Gods himself. Although the myths don't really explain why.

https://www.theoi.com/Protogenos/Nyx.html

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 9:04 pm

This is one of the many idiotic topics I've made about "feninism. The archaic goddesses of old were anything but a symbol of feminism and we lived in a f****d up world that should have been blown up a long time ago.