Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Which elements of modern entertainment makes you feel the most discomfort?
Poll ended at 06 Mar 2016, 6:33 pm
Commercials (placement) 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Commercials (narrative content) 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Commercials being superimposed on shows 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Clickbait. 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Commercials or shows containing triggering content. (i.e fluctuating volume levels, flashing lights, extreme gore) 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
The trivialisation and misrepresentation of important issues in various forms of media. 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
Buffering. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Media outlets over promoting stupid content while making smart content difficult to find. 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
"Infotainment". 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
All of the above. 34%  34%  [ 23 ]
The entertainment I view does not cause discomfort. 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
Something else. 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 68

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 12:09 am

some of the commercials [mostly local insert adverts] on "coast to coast" are simply intolerable.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 1:20 am

TV exerts a deleterious effect on the intellect, secondary to its passive nature.
Find an individual filled with a passionate vibrant mind and they will be well read and rarely watch TV.
Try it.

On another note, I find TV commercials particularly feel like a psychological assault/attack against the sanctity of my mind and its senses.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 11:11 am

During my work career, dealing with literally tens of thousand of people over three decades I was too tired to do anything but workout, play a video game, and vegetate in front of a T.V.; and then do the chores of home and wife maintenance on the weekends, and start the rat treadmill again, in an endless circle of stress and less and less recreative recovery.

Yeah, that almost ended in death.

LESSON LEARNED.

TV S***S, AS ANY activity that is MORE fully input and not interactively expressed output to grow a mind and body in balance STRONG INSTEAD OF UNFEELING, NON-ENGAGED, NOODLE, IN both affect and EFFECT.

I ENJOY theater, and DVD's with fuller emotion, and ethical meanings to analyze and FEEL, AS more effort is put into THAT TO SELL SOMETHING THAT MAKES HUMANS FEEL, AS that is what drives folks, moreover to the theater, of course with the sensory excitement of special effects that some folks thrive on stronger to come alive.

But truly the worst part of all, is anything that stunts human physical intelligence that drives emotional regulation, integration of senses, and cognitive executive functioning by way of focus and short term working memory; and anything that STILLS HUMAN BEING TO SITTING STILL, IS a true 'CANCER' for THAT along with real life chronic stress not resolved by burning stress chemicals off through movement eventually resulting in potential depression, illness, and even premature death.

TV should come with a warning..

TV can kill, over the long term, of sedentary life in A horrible imbalance of mind and body, WITH the REAL potential for a premature death.

But nah, 'too much common sense' in THAT mixed with the negating variable of COMMERCIAL profit.

And the human misery and suffering goes on, for those who do not even understand and practice more fully, what human nature is classically evolved to be.

And IT dam sure ain't sitting still (for most people, anyway) focusing on just one point of distance and space anywhere, whatever that entails for a human zoo or prison, come alive in an illusory hell of TV OR OTHER screen reality.

To me, it's much more fun interactively entertaining in real life, AS the Director, Producer AND ACTOR OF MY OWN DIRECTED, PRODUCED AND ACTED PLAY of LIFE!..;)

SPECTATOR IS NOT A LIFE FOR ME, as far as I see, for now!.:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Mar 2015, 4:37 pm

Entertainment have gone done hill ever since MD Geist was released in 1986 as that is the zenith of human creation. Thus, humanity has obtain perfect and has no need to go any further.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 4:43 pm

bring on the full-color full motion anti-judder 3d holographic video and 3D surround sound! :bounce: I'd watch competitive basket-weaving and dog-walking if they had that in a holographic video.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 5:30 pm

^^ Darn straight!! !!

Also, bring on the holodeck.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 6:15 pm

Most reality shows now I can't stand. Most, such as American Idol and Survivor, have lost their appeal over time.

evilsithwraith666
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Apr 2015, 9:14 pm

Ad-block (which is free) can be obtained from your search engine/browser to get rid of internet ads ( they work like a charm). I'm surprised no one on this forum has mentioned it by now.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 10:48 pm

Nebogipfel wrote:
Watching Seinfeld recently on tv, I noticed that I was getting stressed out by the process just as I always do. I do not think the show itself was the reason for that because I find pretty funny and I enjoyed it on its original run. Long ago I narrowed down what was pissing me off to commercials. I believe the anticipation of ads causes stress. I think that's pretty obvious, but I recently started paying attention to their content and I think that's causing stress too. Why would someone think it was reasonable to have ad breaks during a comedy show about funeral parlours and news ads featuring terrorists?

Comedy is meant to be a panacea, but the way it is presented today seems to reflect the condition of bipolar by eliciting or trying to elicit wildly contrasting emotions in rapid succession.

People with sensory sensitivity probably have an enhanced ability to narrow down the sources of discomfort. Does anyone else feel the same way? Is "entertainment" these days becoming more a source of negative emotions than positive ones?

This poll is about all forms and delivery systems for entertainment.

Not to mention they tend to edit out parts of the older shows to leave more time for commericals. I got pretty mad when I realized the episodes of M*A*S*H* on TV were shorter than the copies I own.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 12:20 am

Finally answering the poll I chose no discomfort - mainly because I'm not consuming any of it to begin with.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

slave
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 12:25 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Finally answering the poll I chose no discomfort - mainly because I'm not consuming any of it to begin with.

you are wise :D

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 9:55 pm

evilsithwraith666 wrote:
Ad-block (which is free) can be obtained from your search engine/browser to get rid of internet ads ( they work like a charm). I'm surprised no one on this forum has mentioned it by now.

i use adblock not only for its namesake purpose, but i've gotten so sick of my avatar staring at me, judging me silently with her israeli eyes that i've used the "block element" feature to get rid of it on my end.

slave wrote:
On another note, I find TV commercials particularly feel like a psychological assault/attack against the sanctity of my mind and its senses.

there are, or there used to be tv ads that were in general several decibels louder than the programming they were being shown with, and sheesh i did notice that. just the thought of that makes me uncomfortable.

is there any particular reason you sometimes see the same ad (or ads) run back to back several times, is it bugs in the broadcasting or is it intentional, or? i remember one instance when my parents were watching tv in the background, and an ad for some hair restoration topical and some other medicine were begin run back to back, repeating 3 times. no reason? dunno how he puts up with that, my father.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 9:57 pm

what I find sometimes hijacks my brain, are those radio commercial adverts where they use C.AS.H. [a DSP algorithm that speeds up speech without distorting it] to make everybody talk like that federal express guy.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2015, 8:48 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
evilsithwraith666 wrote:

i use adblock not only for its namesake purpose, but i've gotten so sick of my avatar staring at me, judging me silently with her israeli eyes that i've used the "block element" feature to get rid of it on my end.

Who IS that person in your Avatar?

Some real person in your life? Or what?

Skullbug
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 May 2015, 3:34 pm

It seems like TV networks are getting to the point where the commercial breaks are longer than the shows. It's bad enough that the commercials are louder than anything else now. I used to mute them when still I watched TV.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2015, 5:07 pm

on the "coast to coast" radio program, the adverts are more numerous/longer than the program segments!