Page 13 of 20 [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 Dec 2023, 7:34 am

! Cornflake wrote:
Once again, some off topic posts have been removed.

It is not the intention of this thread to introduce debates about race, movie scenes, or much else for that matter.
Those topics should be addressed on their own thread.

The topic of this thread is quite clear and the context of existing posts makes it clearer still - so please, keep to it.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 9:53 am

10 Plagues of Egypt

1. Turning water into blood
2. Frogs - I can't believe that didn't work.
3. Lice or gnats
4. Flies
5. Death of all livestock
6. Festering boils on people and animals
7. Hail
8. Locusts
9. Darkness
10. Death of all firstborn

I already mentioned the death of babies in Egypt. In Exodus 9:1-7, God kills ALL the livestock of the Egyptians:

Quote:
9 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Go to Pharaoh and say to him, ‘This is what the Lord, the God of the Hebrews, says: “Let my people go, so that they may worship me.” 2 If you refuse to let them go and continue to hold them back, 3 the hand of the Lord will bring a terrible plague on your livestock in the field—on your horses, donkeys and camels and on your cattle, sheep and goats. 4 But the Lord will make a distinction between the livestock of Israel and that of Egypt, so that no animal belonging to the Israelites will die.’”

5 The Lord set a time and said, “Tomorrow the Lord will do this in the land.” 6 And the next day the Lord did it: All the livestock of the Egyptians died, but not one animal belonging to the Israelites died. 7 Pharaoh investigated and found that not even one of the animals of the Israelites had died. Yet his heart was unyielding and he would not let the people go.

The hail and locusts demolished their crops. Turning the water into blood killed fish and made the water undrinkable. In other words, God engaged in war crimes.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2023, 11:21 am

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
An evil soul producing holy witness
Is like a villain with a smiling cheek,
A goodly apple rotten at the heart.
O, what a goodly outside falsehood hath

--William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2023, 12:31 pm

^ It’s hard to ignore God-endorsed evilness when it takes up such a significant portion of the Bible. It’s not even like people twist scripture for it to say something it doesn’t.

I grew up with this scripture. It was used to justify even the most grotesque portions of the Bible.

2 Timothy 3:16, 17: “All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work."

They’d always emphasize the word “all," claiming that it applied to both the Old and New Testament - even the portions that are extremely problematic in both. Admittedly, it’s hard to know what sacred texts the writer had access to and, thus, had in mind when he stated this. He was a fan of Jesus though, and Jesus upheld the OT.

They’d also use this scripture to promote circular reason: The Bible is inspired by God. How do we know that it’s inspired by God? Because look at what Paul says in 2 Timothy 3:16…

(It was probably written by an anonymous writer who wasn’t Paul but that’s a different topic.)

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2023, 4:46 pm

"Disturbing Passages in Holy Books"

Thanks So Much For 'This Thread;' i Have
it BookMarked in my Notes; Both For Amusement

And Facts for the Most Hare-Brained Human Evil
Stories ever Made-up...

'Hell Wagging' ConTesT:

Quran Comes Out Ahead
With That Version of An All
Loving Merciful God Maximizing

Torture Beyond Just Hell Fire;

Replacing Fried Skins With New Skins

To Torture Forever With Most Severe Methods

Nightmared on 'Elm Street' Then At Least Hehe; Yes,

For Subjugating, Controlling, Mastering 'Minions'
With Most Despicable 'God Leaders' By Most

Horrible Nightmare

Made-up Stories...

"Sahih International 4:55
And some among them believed in it,
and some among them were averse to it. And sufficient is Hell as a blaze."

"Sahih International 4:56
Indeed, those who disbelieve in Our verses - We will drive them into a Fire.
Every time their skins are roasted through We will replace them with other
skins so they may taste the punishment. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted in Might and Wise."

The Human Condition is Strange.

The Fact That Anyone Could Believe
A So-Called All Loving Merciful God

Could Come Up With Something Like

This Just Proves How Strange 'The Condition' Is....

Dear Lord, Thank God of Nature For the Separation
of State and Hell...

Hey,
At Least
They Gave it a Shot...

Just Goes to Prove that
Nature With Its Equality
of Birth And Death is A Much

More Ethical And Moral God Than
What's Made Up as Human 'Gehenna Garbage...'

Hey, It Ain't Perfect Yet at Least There is the Blessing of Death to End Misery and Suffering.

And ON Top of that 'Real HeLL ON EartH' is A Place You'd Rather Be Burned Forever Than Face

The FroZen
Reality of Hell

NOW FOR REAL

That Interestingly
Parallels in Dante's
Description of 'The Rings'

That Nature Provides

Whether or Not We Are
Good or Bad Little Boys and Girls
in iMaGiNaRY Religions; Yet in the Reality
of Forevernow, Even REAL Hell Comes to An Eventual End...

And For Anyone Who's Actually Visited That REAL Place NOW and Escaped;

They Likely Wouldn't Have Ever Got Out, if They Would Ever Wish that on Someone else...

And All oF it
Gets Transformed
to the 'Other Place...'

Yep, This Condition is Strange...

Meh, Yet It's Better Than 'The Other Places'..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2023, 6:22 pm

John 3:18
Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

That might not seem like much, but it disturbed me from my early childhood until I later lost all significant suspicion that it could possibly be correct. I think it was just a cruel trick.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2023, 8:16 pm

^^ Thanks. I’ve bookmarked it too. It’s very useful having all this stuff in a designated spot. It helps seeing it too rather than just having scriptures swirling around in my head at times, especially when my family incessantly talks about how the Bible is the bestest book ever! :lol:

Even nice scriptures are problematic. I remember Psalms 18:2 coming into my head in an ironic sense during an especially tough time in my life.

2 The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,
My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge;
My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

God was not a refuge. He was conspicuous by his absence, just as he is for any number of people at this very moment.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2023, 8:18 pm

These scriptures make sex something a person is obligated to give their spouse rather than something people do because they genuinely want to. Instead of mutual consent regarding sex, there has to be mutual agreement to say “no” which has probably contributed to a fair amount of domestic violence among religious married couples over the centuries.

1 Corinthians 7:1-5:

Now for the matters you wrote about: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” 2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. 3 The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. 5 Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 10:05 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
It helps seeing it too rather than just having scriptures swirling around in my head at times, especially when my family incessantly talks about how the Bible is the bestest book ever! :lol:

I still can't get over the way anybody these days can think it's a perfect manual for moral behaviour. There's so much it doesn't anticipate, simply because it was written thousands of years ago in one particular part of the world that had one particular government. Children, wives, slaves and animals were little more than some guy's property. Authority was everything.

As for the Almightly protecting anybody, I think Cromwell was on the right track when he said "Trust in God, but keep your powder dry." I just wish he'd taken the idea a bit further.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2023, 11:06 pm

Genesis 34:1-4

Quote:
Now Dinah, the daughter Leah had borne to Jacob, went out to visit the women of the land. 2 When Shechem son of Hamor the Hivite, the ruler of that area, saw her, he took her and raped her. 3 His heart was drawn to Dinah daughter of Jacob; he loved the young woman and spoke tenderly to her. 4 And Shechem said to his father Hamor, “Get me this girl as my wife.”

That’s a strange way to treat someone you love. Anyway, this is how Dinah’s brothers react in verses 13-17 and 24-31. (As you might have guessed, it involves circumcision.)
Quote:
13 Because their sister Dinah had been defiled, Jacob’s sons replied deceitfully as they spoke to Shechem and his father Hamor. 14 They said to them, “We can’t do such a thing; we can’t give our sister to a man who is not circumcised. That would be a disgrace to us. 15 We will enter into an agreement with you on one condition only: that you become like us by circumcising all your males. 16 Then we will give you our daughters and take your daughters for ourselves. We’ll settle among you and become one people with you. 17 But if you will not agree to be circumcised, we’ll take our sister and go.”

Quote:
24 All the men who went out of the city gate agreed with Hamor and his son Shechem, and every male in the city was circumcised.

25 Three days later, while all of them were still in pain, two of Jacob’s sons, Simeon and Levi, Dinah’s brothers, took their swords and attacked the unsuspecting city, killing every male. 26 They put Hamor and his son Shechem to the sword and took Dinah from Shechem’s house and left. 27 The sons of Jacob came upon the dead bodies and looted the city where[c] their sister had been defiled. 28 They seized their flocks and herds and donkeys and everything else of theirs in the city and out in the fields. 29 They carried off all their wealth and all their women and children, taking as plunder everything in the houses.

30 Then Jacob said to Simeon and Levi, “You have brought trouble on me by making me obnoxious to the Canaanites and Perizzites, the people living in this land. We are few in number, and if they join forces against me and attack me, I and my household will be destroyed.”

31 But they replied, “Should he have treated our sister like a prostitute?”

Their father wasn’t happy with them, though.

Genesis 49:5-7
Quote:
“Simeon and Levi are brothers—
their swords[a] are weapons of violence.
6 Let me not enter their council,
let me not join their assembly,
for they have killed men in their anger
and hamstrung oxen as they pleased.
7 Cursed be their anger, so fierce,
and their fury, so cruel!
I will scatter them in Jacob
and disperse them in Israel.”

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 12:44 am

Actually reading the bible, was the best thing I did towards moving away from Christianity. LIke it is an intersting book of mythology but no one should be taking it as guidence.

With various child sacrifice, rape, incest ect...like err yeah maybe best not to take an ancient book as advice for current times.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 1:02 am

Just about any more recent book with a philosophical subtext will probably contain more useful guidance IMO. I struggled with that when I was a believer. Even then, a part of me recognized that I was receiving greater benefit from secular books than I was from the Bible.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 1:38 am

While I am a Christian, I follow liberation theology, and the works of Mordecai Kaplan.

I am also sex-positive, so I am at odds with verses that promote purity culture.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 2:16 am

I've dabbled with using the Book of Psalms for cursing, protection, and healing. That's my extent of finding any use for the old KJV bible I purchased at the thrift store for just this purpose.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 10:37 am

With all the horrible things that happen in The Bible, it's not something you'd want to use to teach how to live a moral lifestyle.

It's more likely to make you mad at other people who don't live a moral lifestyle and give you a desire to ruin them while you use The Bible to morally justify your actions.

I think The Bible says something like Hate the sin, but love the sinner. But come on, no one's going to follow that.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 10:47 am

With or without the bible what do humans really know about morals anyways? It seems to me that humans like to reinvent what's right and wrong every few decades or so in order to suit their own short-sighted desires without seeing the bigger picture in the grand scheme of things.

Humans are nothing more than a terminally cancerous disease on the earth.