Page 4 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

fidelis
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 9:29 pm

Barter? I suggested we regress to such a system. Even money is better than that. I was suggesting we teach our children self control, and have them take only what they need. Okay, I know it seems unrealistic, but since when has being realistic made any actual progress in society? Don't answer that; there are plenty. I simply mean that the whole world thinks that 500 people are insane, and they prove to be right.

The system doesn't work in our world, but if you take the same people and put them in the best possible conditions, it can maintain itself. This just brings us back to the question of whether people are actually good in nature, or actually are controlled by this thing called an "id"(I don't believe in an id.)

whitelightning777
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2010, 10:34 pm

There are basically 3 reasons why anarchism would fail very quickly even if some governments could be persuaded to give up power to several hundred square miles and a few thousand people.

First: About 1 out of 25 or so persons are psychopaths. These can't be treated or cured, even if they ASK to be cured. They are pathological violent sex offenders that start fires and torture other living things and so on. Only the power of the state can keep these types in check.

While a strong 2nd amendment type of solution will allow people to defend themselves at times without a government, nothing can be done if you are asleep or if the psychopaths shift strategy and use delay fused bombs. Still less can be done about those who take pains to avoid being seen when they kill people and break things. When you get one of those, you need a government with a CSI behavioral science unit to draw up a profile.

You would have to invent an accurate genetic or neurological test to identify and terminate such individuals.

Second: Social stratification has its advantages. In my opinion, the human species especially NTs are wired up that way. Without a government, people will still organize. Large powerful organizations with specialized members and a standard operating procedure will easily overpower reclusive persons or small businesses. In a manner of time, they will become a government in their own right.

Corporations are essentially governments in failed third world states & they generally neglect the population.

Third: The rest of the world will not give up their governments and power. Any rich anarchist state with decent material assets will be targeted for invasion by aggressive nation states with an appetite for easy gold. The only way to fight off a nation state with an army and possibly weapons of mass destruction is to have a government of your own that has got them too.

Islamic radicals and communists are only recent examples of blood thirsty ideologies who insist that they have the right to rule the world.

Having said all that, it is still true that there are too many rules and the government is too big and spends too much money. Having the second amendment (& a gun or a watchdog) isn't all that bad of a thing either. The best way to protect people is to protect personal freedom and only to interfere when a citizen is in way over their head and asks for help. 8)