If a person is defective, they should be eliminated

Page 4 of 11 [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

Newtonscat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Feb 2012, 7:19 pm

The whole population of the planet could be housed in comfort in a building 2 miles high the size of the Isle of Wight.

A high speed transport system could provide for people to nip across to the other side of the world for an "away day".

It's all a matter of dealing with the "authoritarians" who are preventing progress ... so that the scientists can get busy.

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 9:40 pm

kestrel wrote:
Subotai wrote:
Inevitably the human race is doomed eventually.. what real difference does eugenics make? I say if you happen to manifest on this plane of consciousness you have a right to live for as long as you're physically capable without interference.

Your point confuses me, but I may be missing something. I do that a lot...

Are you saying eugenic policies do not make a difference, or that you are unconcerned about whether they are pursued by governments?

If the second, then the remainder of your statement does not make sense. If a person has the right to live as long as they are physically capable without interference, then eugenics would potentially stand in the way of that.

I'm saying in the end eugenics makes no difference, as one way or another humanity is doomed regardless. I think everyone should have the right to live out their existence as long as they are capable.

So if eugenics are ever pursued by governments I would be strongly opposed.

kestrel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 9:43 pm

Subotai wrote:
I'm saying in the end eugenics makes no difference, as one way or another humanity is doomed regardless. I think everyone should have the right to live out their existence as long as they are capable.

So if eugenics are ever pursued by governments I would be strongly opposed.

Okay, now I get it. Sorry 'bout that. :D

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 9:57 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
I am the kind of person that would even defend a serial child killer clown's right to live, that is how serious about rights I am.

What if the authority you wanted decided that your sister was 'defective'? Would you be okay with that?

I would not have a problem with a sibling being killed. It might perhaps be inconvenient for some people, but nothing else.

Newtonscat

19 Feb 2012, 10:21 pm

The Lords Select Committee Report On Medical Ethics (called the "Euthanasia Bill" by the Media) was debated on 9th May 1994 ... and came out totally against any form of euthansia or "right to die" - because of the APPALLING attitudes of an extraordinary number of "influential" people in the UK (The Slippery Slope)

My wife's case (gender altered and other things changed so she could not be identified) was included in a debate in the House of Lords by Lord Cork & Orrery.

Her consultant could not be stopped (by the police, by lawyers, by politicians, by members of the House of Lords, etc). Under British law he had to "act in her best interests" ... so he killed her - on 21st May 1994. He instructed a nurse to ring me. She said:

"CORINNE IS BREATHING HER LAST BREATH!" (12.30 am)

Later another nurse (3.45am), told me she was dead, then said (with an "amused" sound in her voice):

"How do you feel?"

When I went to the police they said they would only investigate if I paid THEIR legal expenses (which they knew I couldn't do)

July 1994 Statement by the Medical Ombudsman for Wales

'There are teams of medical personel who should be utterly ashmed of the way they treat fellow human beings'

In the 2-3 years leading up to the House of Lords decision THOUSANDS of people were MURDERED in British hospitals (usually by being denied food and water).

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 12:05 am

Maybe there'd be less "defective" people if the environment wasn't so messed up. Yah, you could probably do away with all the people that are handicapped, autistic, deformed, cancer stricken etc etc, but when there's tons of plutonium melting into the ground in Japan, its probably not gonna do a whole lot of good.

It doesn't take away from the fact that fact that some people that would be considered non-defective are very capable of doing horrible things.

kestrel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 12:27 am

JNathanK wrote:
It doesn't take away from the fact that fact that some people that would be considered non-defective are very capable of doing horrible things.

Like doing away with those who are considered defective?

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 1:29 am

Well, I'm defective. I can tell a lot of you are as well. We should fight back and form a team and wear stretchy leotards. We could call ourselves The X Factor and use our special powers to rule the World.

We should do this before they get serious about eliminating us. I mean, that seems to be the trend. 50 years ago, people with disabilities had much more freedom and acceptance than they do now...

Come on! Let's be real. People have seen that it's wrong to own slaves; that it's wrong to lock your defective kid up in the attic; that it's wrong to make fun of people who are inferior or different, it's wrong (and illegal) to experiment on your own population etc... I imagine one day we'll decide sexual orientation isn't a factor of human worth and that killing unborn humans is insanely wrong.

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 2:56 am

If there were enough non-defective people on earth to keep the species alive after eliminating all defective people, I wouldn't mind this idea so much. But, what is essentially being asked of eliminating all defective people, is the removal of all people. And while I have a love/hate relationship with the concept of humanity as a whole, I think I'll prefer it to stick around a bit longer.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 3:03 am

Yupa wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:
I am the kind of person that would even defend a serial child killer clown's right to live, that is how serious about rights I am.

What if the authority you wanted decided that your sister was 'defective'? Would you be okay with that?

I would not have a problem with a sibling being killed. It might perhaps be inconvenient for some people, but nothing else.

If you think that this is merely inconvenient for people, you have a serious lack of empathy and sympathy.

Magdalena
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Feb 2012, 3:52 am

I totally disagree with the statement in the title of this thread, if just out of self-interest (and in light of others' self-interest).

As much as there are days where I am especially of the opinion that I just waste space and that I am meaningless to everyone, I do not believe that it is constructive to eliminate those who are deemed flawed, and I also don't believe that any society has the right to govern itself in such a manner.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 10:48 am

Those that you deem flawed, often feel very normal themselves.

The concept of "flaw" applied to humans somehow repulses me, unless it is used to qualify a logical flaw.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 11:42 am

Newtonscat wrote:
The whole population of the planet could be housed in comfort in a building 2 miles high the size of the Isle of Wight.

in comfort? i would not be comfortable in that situation.

anyway, if everyone on earth was to stand in a square area 1 meter away from their immediate neighbours, then the area would be 7,000,000,000 ^.5 (sqrt) and that is in a square whose sides are 83,666 meters in length (83.666 km).

i plotted an area in google earth using the UK as the backdrop for the overlay, and here is a picture of the area within the uk that all people on earth could stand in if they were 1 meter away from each other.

even though this is the case, i still think that there are far too many people on earth.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 11:45 am

There is a novel by John Brunner entitled -Stand on Zanzibar- referring to the fact that the entire human race could stand on Zanzibar and still leave plenty of room

ruveyn

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 11:46 am

b9 wrote:

even though this is the case, i still think that there are far too many people on earth.

Fortunately for the rest of us, you are in no position to impose your opinion on the matter.

The population of Earth will increase until its bearing capacity is met and there is not a thing you can do about it.

ruveyn

b9
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 12:54 pm

asked to remove post by moderator.