Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian (Evil Bible)

Page 4 of 8 [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

alba
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 11:27 am

Last edited by alba on 11 Apr 2009, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 11:28 am

Regarding the thread, I fail to see where this is 'trolling'. If someone disagrees with you, it's not trolling. If they decide to post why they disagree, it' is also not trolling. If it's too challenging for you to respond to the thread, or if it offends you then ignore it. If you merely disagree then state why and discussion can fly from there. Otherwise, keep it in your pants.

CanyonWind wrote:
MrMark wrote:
Knock, knock

Who's there?

Eisenhower

Eisenhower who?

Eisenhower late for lunch.

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Although this assertion has some validity, since Eisenhower did often eat lunch, it contains internal contradictions, since Eisenhower was always punctual.

Orwell wrote:
This is a troll post, intended to attack the Republicans whose views always get viciously attacked on PPR

And on it goes. Welcome to a normal day at PPR.

Well put.

alba
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 11:42 am

MrMark wrote:
Personally, I consider public accusations of trolling to be trolling...

Planeteers, when you suspect trolling, the appropriate thing to do is report it to an active moderator by PM.

Accusations of trolling are more contentious than the alleged trolling ever is....so it would be appreciated if someone could enlighten us planeteers on why public accusations of trolling are tolerated in the first place.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 11:57 am

Members are many; moderators are few. If no one reports, then no one should be surprised when nothing is done.

- Emerson

alba
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 12:12 pm

I wasn't under the impression---public accusations of trolling were a reportable offense.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 12:18 pm

You can report anything you want, anything you think might be a problem that maybe a moderator should take a look at. It's their job to make the determination about whether or not action is warranted.

- Emerson

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 3:00 pm

ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:
Not sure I really like the term 'fundamentalist' - it originally referred to a certain set of very basic Christian beliefs,

Still does, if you ask a fundamentalist.

Quote:
It's an attitude - 'I'm right, you're wrong, therefore you are evil and must be punished and/or silenced' - rather than a belief system, and it can occur wherever people get too sure of themselves.

That attitude is a bad thing, but it isn't really what fundamentalism is -- it's what people mean by it when they use the word "fundamentalist" as an insult.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 3:40 pm

Haliphron wrote:
Omniscience is one thing but there are some MAJOR philosophical problems with omnipotence

Actually, omniscience includes the knowledge that you know everything, this is circular enough to cause potential problems. I don't believe they're insurmountable, given an appropriate definition of omniscient, but I'd be much more concerned with omniscience being impossible than omnipotence being impossible.

Quote:
(presuming God is omnipotent) Can God make a stone so big that he couldnt life it.....

There is no problem here -- "a stone so big that God couldn't lift it" is a nonsensical idea.

Quote:
The notion that human events have an impact on the entire Cosmos is a VERY primitive way of thinking. At the time the bible was written, pretty much NOTHING was known in that region about the laws of physics(not to mention astronomy)and based on modern physics this notion that events on Earth affect the rest of the Cosmos is laughably silly.

You're assuming the non-existence of God here. If God exists in the way that fundamentalists say he does, then there is no reason to suppose that he can't transmit the neccesary information at any speed he wishes.

You're also assuming that the laws of physics exist independently -- that they aren't a set of rules made by men that most closely approximate what has been observed. Your argument also falls apart if there is anything outside the observable universe -- such as God or other universes.

In any case, I don't quite follow your accusation that human events affect the cosmos -- I can't think of any fundamentalist doctrines that imply this, at least not off the top of my head.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 3:51 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
Haliphron wrote:
Omniscience is one thing but there are some MAJOR philosophical problems with omnipotence

Actually, omniscience includes the knowledge that you know everything, this is circular enough to cause potential problems. I don't believe they're insurmountable, given an appropriate definition of omniscient, but I'd be much more concerned with omniscience being impossible than omnipotence being impossible.

Quote:
(presuming God is omnipotent) Can God make a stone so big that he couldnt life it.....

There is no problem here -- "a stone so big that God couldn't lift it" is a nonsensical idea.

Quote:
The notion that human events have an impact on the entire Cosmos is a VERY primitive way of thinking. At the time the bible was written, pretty much NOTHING was known in that region about the laws of physics(not to mention astronomy)and based on modern physics this notion that events on Earth affect the rest of the Cosmos is laughably silly.

You're assuming the non-existence of God here. If God exists in the way that fundamentalists say he does, then there is no reason to suppose that he can't transmit the neccesary information at any speed he wishes.

You're also assuming that the laws of physics exist independently -- that they aren't a set of rules made by men that most closely approximate what has been observed. Your argument also falls apart if there is anything outside the observable universe -- such as God or other universes.

In any case, I don't quite follow your accusation that human events affect the cosmos -- I can't think of any fundamentalist doctrines that imply this, at least not off the top of my head.

Regardling the last paragraph, might I remind you that we are entering the realm of the falsifiable. Many christian fundamentalists make absurd claims about things that ARE falsifiable and yet whenever I demand they demonstrate for me they never follow through on it. If the information about Adam and Eve's sin affected all of creation, then the information would have to travel either through hypothetical higher dimensions OR outside of the Universe. So what Im saying is those who believe this to be true are the ones who bear the burden of demonstrating that such a thing is not only possible but actually happened that way! Lemme ask you this: If God is ominpotent that could God create another omnipotent deity that God himself could not control???

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 4:44 pm

CanyonWind wrote:
Knock, knock

Who's there?

Eisenhower

Eisenhower who?

I do not get the joke. :oops:

Edit: I find this strange conversation kind of amusing because I feel uncomfortable on the rest of the site. I hang out here and mostly lurk in the other forums. I am glad this little spot seems to tolerate me just a bit.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 4:56 pm

claire333 wrote:
CanyonWind wrote:
Knock, knock

Who's there?

Eisenhower

Eisenhower who?

I do not get the joke. :oops:

Eisenhower

Ei-is-en-hower

I-is-an-hour

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 4:59 pm

:D Thank you.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 5:18 pm

it's not that i don't get that the OP's intention was supposed to be a joke, it's just that

a) the original post wasn't funny at all, it was lame and offensive
b) it's weird because the OP purports to be some type of christian, so I don't know who he hoped to impress with his christian bashing.
c) the OP was supposed to have left this forum for 'real life'.
d) the OP is/was a moderator so I think it's extremely inappropriate.

all adds up to bizarre wouldn't you say?

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 5:24 pm

The list is actually in many cases true for the fundamentalists, so I don't see it as "lame and offensive".

This forum is a great example of the fundamentalist christian mindset.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 5:27 pm

Postperson wrote:
it's not that i don't get that the OP's intention was supposed to be a joke, it's just that

a) the original post wasn't funny at all, it was lame and offensive
b) it's weird because the OP purports to be some type of christian, so I don't know who he hoped to impress with his christian bashing.
c) the OP was supposed to have left this forum for 'real life'.
d) the OP is/was a moderator so I think it's extremely inappropriate.

all adds up to bizarre wouldn't you say?

Some of us think it's funny.
I don't claim to be Christian.
I find things on the web from time to time and think of you guys.
It's so nice to not have to be on my best behavior all the time anymore. (Wearing the apron is not nearly as nice as pulling on the apron strings.)

- Emerson

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 5:29 pm

so you are no longer a moderator? you have claimed to be a christian at some stage I think. that's now not the case?