Total votes : 87

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 1:20 pm

pandabear wrote:
Orwell wrote:
pandabear wrote:
The Gospel of Mark was originally written in Greek, not Hebrew. Greek is in the Indo-European language family, and males and females have different pronouns.

The writers of the Gospels were Jews whose first language was Hebrew. It is believed that they first drafted in Hebrew, then wrote the final versions in Greek.

Believed by whom? By you? I've never heard that before. As I understand it, classical Hebrew by that time was no longer spoken--it was only used for liturgical purposes.

I think that you are wrong about the Gospels being first drafted in Hebrew.
Matthew is mentioned by church fathers as having been originally written in Hebrew, though I believe by this they meant the language spoken by the Hebrew people, ie, Aramaic. It would certainly fit with Matthew's remit to write a gospel that was uniquely Jewish in flavour.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 1:29 pm

At the time Jesus lived, men hung out with men, women hung out with women, and there was nothing sexual about showing friendship with a kiss. It would have gone against His mission to marry and start a family, so the fact that he didn't also has no sexual implication. What his human body may have felt is irrelevant; He lived the life of a solitary religious leader, similar to the way priests do today.

It actually surprised me that it was even questioned.

FYI, there are those outside of mainstream religion who believe Jesus did marry and maybe even had children. Those folks feel they have evidence for it, as well. But it is all irrelevant, really. Unless someone wants to claim they are a direct descendent ;)

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 7:32 pm

Why would getting married have been against his mission?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 7:39 pm

mgran wrote:
Matthew is mentioned by church fathers as having been originally written in Hebrew, though I believe by this they meant the language spoken by the Hebrew people, ie, Aramaic. It would certainly fit with Matthew's remit to write a gospel that was uniquely Jewish in flavour.

It would have been Aramaic, not Hebrew. There were two languages in frequent and common use in the Holy Land during the time of Jesus: Aramaic and Koine (a dialect of Greek). Hebrew was used almost exclusively for religious services of the Jews. Most of the Mishnah was written if a very Aramaicized dialect of Hebrew. Later on the Talmud was written almost exclusively in Aramaic. Why? Because the majority of Jews were in Babylon (Persia), not Palistine and Aramaic was the language they used in Babylon.

ruveyn

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 8:35 pm

pandabear wrote:

There would be a alot more preaching about how men should be married to follow "his path to glory" then there are already. Then again, it wouldn't have made a huge difference would it? Why does he honestly need an orientation in the first place? The idea is the after life isn't it?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 9:01 pm

LiendaBalla wrote:
pandabear wrote:

There would be a alot more preaching about how men should be married to follow "his path to glory" then there are already. Then again, it wouldn't have made a huge difference would it? Why does he honestly need an orientation in the first place? The idea is the after life isn't it?

I cannot claim any real familiarity of Christian history but I get the impression that most of the sexual material was the result of Paul's inclinations, not that of Jesus.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 12:06 pm

Look at this passage from John 13:

Quote:
...so Jesus got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.

He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, "Lord, are you going to wash my feet?"

Jesus replied, "You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand."

"No," said Peter, "you shall never wash my feet."

Jesus answered, "Unless I wash you, you have no part with me."

"Then, Lord," Simon Peter replied, "not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!"

Jesus answered, "A person who has had a bath needs only to wash his feet; his whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you." ...

When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. "Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them. "You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet.

Does anyone else perceive the possibility of a homosexual foot fetish taking place?

Peter is resisting, but Jesus insists. Then, the disciples have to wash each other's feet.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 12:13 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
At the time Jesus lived, men hung out with men, women hung out with women, and there was nothing sexual about showing friendship with a kiss.

Actually, that is the way things are in Saudi Arabia and many countries in the region. And, homosexuality there is a lot more common than you would think.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 2:18 pm

pandabear wrote:
And, homosexuality there is a lot more common than you would think.

Don't be ridiculous. Everyone knows there are no gay people in Iran.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 3:54 pm

Iran is outside of the region, and is not a Semitic country.

Here is a bit about Saudi Arabia: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... oset/5774/

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 7:28 pm

Sand wrote:
LiendaBalla wrote:
pandabear wrote:

I cannot claim any real familiarity of Christian history but I get the impression that most of the sexual material was the result of Paul's inclinations, not that of Jesus.

An old archeologist Thostle
Found a most intriguing Fossil
From the way it was bent
and the knot in the end
'twas the penis of Paul the Apostle.

You are quite right. Paul was a psychosexual basket case.

ruveyn

bully_on_speed
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 7:37 pm

apparently he was straight, supposably he was banging mary. but judging by the homosexual pedophilia that goes on under his roof it could go either way

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 10:59 am

Here is an article about another vehemently anti-Gay Republican politician being exposed as actually being Gay:

http://cbs4.com/national/ashburn.arrest ... 36922.html

It often turns out, among political and religious leaders, that those who bash Gays the most are actually Gay themselves.

Paul claimed to be asexual, and bashed Gays a bit, which would suggest that he was in fact a queer on the side. He was just never caught and exposed.

The jury is still out on Jesus.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 4:35 pm

pandabear wrote:
Look at this passage from John 13:

Quote:
...so Jesus got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.

He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, "Lord, are you going to wash my feet?"

Jesus replied, "You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand."

"No," said Peter, "you shall never wash my feet."

Jesus answered, "Unless I wash you, you have no part with me."

"Then, Lord," Simon Peter replied, "not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!"

Jesus answered, "A person who has had a bath needs only to wash his feet; his whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you." ...

When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. "Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them. "You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet.

Does anyone else perceive the possibility of a homosexual foot fetish taking place?

Peter is resisting, but Jesus insists. Then, the disciples have to wash each other's feet.

Unless Peter's feet smelled really bad and Peter knew it.
Peter probably didn't want Jesus having a whiff of his feet. :lol: :wink:

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 7:01 pm

I wonder why the plurality is going with "asexual?"

I wonder if it might be related to the fact that a lot of people have a problem dealing with the thought of their parents having sex.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 7:20 pm

jesus was a raging homosexual, as proven by everything ever written anywhere, anytime and by anyone.

my profile says it too, your profile, the wrongplanet.net contact page, the wikipedia page about polar bear, they ALL state how uncurably homosexual jesus was, always naked, always doing the butt-dance.