Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 9:26 am

Ha ha! that was cute!

sillycat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jun 2010, 4:47 pm

Jesus warns "Those who live by the sword die by the sword".

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 4:54 pm

sillycat wrote:
Jesus warns "Those who live by the sword die by the sword".

I had mentioned that already. However, that is not saying that such is evil in itself but rather it is more of a statement of "choices -> consequences".

Sort of like saying, "Those who play with matches may get burned". It is a warning. It is possible to live through a war and become a veteran, but for outlaws, which is what Christ's disciples would have been looked upon as, they would be hunted down if all of them acted like Peter did to the priest's assistant by cutting off his ear.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 8:01 am

Nobody should really fight, but the reality is, that everybody gets into fights, at least a few times in their life, and Christians are no exception. I don't think that anybody should fight, really.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 9:11 am

You try to hurt my family and I will kill you if I can.

End of story. That's all folks.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 8:09 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
And even if that were an example of homosexuality it would prove nothing in regard to God's will. But if you wish to make a moral argument upon the basis of the actions of people in the past then also,

Quote:
Saul hath slain his thousands, and David his ten thousands.

etc. etc. etc.

David, Saul, and especially Solomon had multiple wives and concubines. King Solomon, widely regarded as having been a paragon of wisdom and virtue, had a personal copulation cabinet consisting of no fewer than 300 wives and 700 concubines.

If the Bible says that you should fight because this is what David and Saul did, then the Bible equally says that I should be able to enjoy a larger harem than Hugh Hefner.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 9:36 pm

pandabear wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
And even if that were an example of homosexuality it would prove nothing in regard to God's will. But if you wish to make a moral argument upon the basis of the actions of people in the past then also,

Quote:
Saul hath slain his thousands, and David his ten thousands.

etc. etc. etc.

David, Saul, and especially Solomon had multiple wives and concubines. King Solomon, widely regarded as having been a paragon of wisdom and virtue, had a personal copulation cabinet consisting of no fewer than 300 wives and 700 concubines.

If the Bible says that you should fight because this is what David and Saul did, then the Bible equally says that I should be able to enjoy a larger harem than Hugh Hefner.

That is not what I was saying at all. You attempted to seek justification on the basis of eisegesis, but even if such actions were of the same as those you seek justification for, then using the same historical figure's action there would be an equally valid basis for warfare. And now you, in turn, have then tried in your above post to say the same thing in reverse to me, understanding the concept but applying it selectively to your own liking.

Last edited by iamnotaparakeet on 29 Jun 2010, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 9:56 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
And now you, in turn, try to say the same thing in reverse to me, understanding the concept but applying it selectively to your own liking.

Okay, I'll give it a try, but maybe tomorrow. It's already past my bedtime. Nighty-night.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 3:20 am

pandabear wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
And now you, in turn, try to say the same thing in reverse to me, understanding the concept but applying it selectively to your own liking.

Okay, I'll give it a try, but maybe tomorrow. It's already past my bedtime. Nighty-night.

That was not an imperative verb, though I'm certain you'll do it anyway since it is your modus operandi.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 10:18 am

Well, I certainly wouldn't want to disappoint. Now, what exactly is it I'm supposed to do? Say something in reverse to you, but apply it selectively to my own liking? Then you'll say something in reverse to me, but apply it selectively to your own liking? Sounds like fun.

Well, okay. Here goes:

Quote:
And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him: And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

How was that?

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 10:25 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
pandabear wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
pandabear wrote:
Well, see? You are quite confident in your own righteousness.

Well, see? You are quite confident in your own false conclusion.

Are you saying that you are not confident of your righteousness?

Duh.

Matthew 5:20
Quote:
For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.