Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 7:29 pm

Ok, given that the problem of evil and questions of how an all-good God would act has emerged, how would an all-powerful demon behave with the world?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 8:50 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Ok, given that the problem of evil and questions of how an all-good God would act has emerged, how would an all-powerful demon behave with the world?

Any way he wanted to.

ruveyn

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 9:34 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:

Any way he wanted to.

ruveyn

Agreed.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 10:47 pm

Well, "any way he wanted to" is nice, but part of the idea here is to get a model of how such a being would interact with the world for purposes of comparison.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 10:53 pm

He (or she?) would turn the world into one big hell.
The demonlord would then watch us burn while eating roast puppy and listening to Megadeath.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 11:00 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Well, "any way he wanted to" is nice, but part of the idea here is to get a model of how such a being would interact with the world for purposes of comparison.

Right. How would it be different?

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 11:39 pm

If I became omnipotent I'd just keep on keeping on. :)

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 12:50 am

Fuzzy wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:

Right. How would it be different?

Well... yeah? That's a good way to frame the issue.

"He (or she?) would turn the world into one big hell. "

What does "one big hell" mean? Are we talking about little imps going around in pitchforks? Is psychological torment somehow included? Is there a way to include it in the simple model of "everything is firey". I mean, if the world is just fire and you did nothing to get there, then how can you feel guilty for it or anything? Even further, how are we prevented from adjusting to our new state of being?

"The demonlord would then watch us burn while eating roast puppy and listening to Megadeath."

Also, how could you eat roast puppy? I mean, to have puppies, either you spontaneously generate puppies, and roast them, in which these things might not actually have any psychological propensities that make them normal. Or you have to have a stretch of area without hellishness for dogs to breed, and then take the puppies away from this to roast them.

Also, it is spelled "Megadeth", and no, if anything, it would listen to something harder than that. Megadeth is no worse than Metallica, and really isn't even that much of an extreme band.

Ok, one idea I would like people to engage is the notion that this world ALREADY HAS a perfectly evil god-being, as Fuzzy pointed out. For example, read this:

http://stephenlaw.blogspot.com/2007/03/god-of-eth.html

Problem of good dialog wrote:
GIZIMOTH: Very well, let’s suppose the universe does show clear signs of having been designed by an intelligent being.
BOOBLEFRIP: Ah. A convert!
GIZIMOTH: Not at all. I’m supposing this only for the sake of argument. You still haven’t given me much reason to suppose that this designer is all-evil, have you?
BOOBLEFRIP: But God is, by definition, all-evil.
GIZIMOTH: But why define God that way? Why not suppose, instead, that God is neither good nor evil? Or why not suppose he is all-good?

Booblefrip thinks Gizimoth has gone too far.

BOOBLEFRIP: What a bizarre suggestion. It’s obvious our creator is very clearly evil! Take a look around you! Witness the horrendous suffering he inflicts upon us. The floods. The ethquakes. Cancer. The vile, rotting stench of God’s creation is overwhelming!

The problem of good

GIZIMOTH: Yes, our creator may do some evil. But it’s not clear he’s all-evil, is it? It’s certainly not obvious that his wickedness is infinite, that his malice and cruelty know no bounds. You’re deliberately ignoring a famous argument against the existence of God – the problem of good.
BOOBLEFRIP: I’m familiar with the problem of good – we theologians of Eth have debating it for centuries. But it’s not fatal to belief in God.
GIZIMOTH: Really? Let’s see. The problem of good, as you know, is essentially very simple. If the universe was designed by an all-powerful, all-evil God, then why is there so much good in the world?
BOOBLEFRIP: That’s the supposed problem, yes.
GIZIMOTH: Why, for example, does God allow at least some people to live out happy, contented and fulfilled lives? Why doesn’t he torture them instead? If God is all-powerful, he certainly could torture them, couldn’t he?
BOOBLEFRIP: Well, yes, he could.
GIZIMOTH: In fact he could make their lives utterly miserable. And we know that, as he is also supremely evil, he must want them suffer. Yet he gives some people every care and attention. Why? It makes no sense, does it?
BOOBLEFRIP: Perhaps not at first sight, no.
GIZIMOTH: Here’s another example. Why does God allow us to do good deeds, to help our fellow Ethians? He even allows us to lay down our lives for each other. These selfless actions improve the quality of our lives no end. So why does God allow them. Why doesn’t he force us to be nasty and do evil, just like him?
BOOBLEFRIP: I grant you that God’s allowing so much noble and selfless behaviour might seem like very good evidence that he is not all-evil. But appearances are deceptive.
GIZIMOTH: Also, if God’s is absolutely evil, why did he put so much beauty in the world for us to enjoy? Why did he create such sublime sunsets?
BOOBLEFRIP: Good question.
GIZIMOTH: And why does God give us children, which bring us immeasurable happiness? You see? There are countless ways in which our lives are enriched by God’s creation.
BOOBLEFRIP: But there’s also evil!
GIZIMOTH: True, there’s evil in the world. But there’s an awful lot of good. Far too much good, in fact, for anyone reasonably to conclude that the universe was created by an all-evil God. Belief in a supremely wicked creator is palpably absurd.

There is much quiet nodding to the left of the Great Chamber. Gizimoth’s argument has struck a chord with the unbelievers. But Booblefrip thinks Gizimoth’s argument is far from conclusive.

BOOBLEFRIP: Look, I admit that the amount of good in the world might seem to undermine belief in an all-powerful, all-evil god. But actually, we believers can explain why a supremely evil God would allow all these good things to happen.
GIZIMOTH: By all means try.

The free-will solution

BOOBLEFRIP: Surely you are familiar with the free-will defence?
GIZIMOTH: Perhaps you would care to explain it.
BOOBLEFRIP: Very well. God’s malevolence is without end. True, he let’s us do good. He allows us to act selflessly for the betterment of others, for example. But there’s a reason for that.
GIZIMOTH: What reason?
BOOBLEFRIP: God gave us free will.
GIZIMOTH: Free will?
BOOBLEFRIP: Yes. God could have made us mere automata that always did the wrong thing. But he didn’t do that. He gave us the freedom to choose how we act.
GIZIMOTH: Why?
BOOBLEFRIP: By giving us free will God actually increased the amount of suffering there is in the world. He made the world far more terrible than it would otherwise have been!
GIZIMOTH: How?
BOOBLEFRIP: Think about it. Yes God could have tortured us for all eternity with a red hot poker. But he would have got very bored very quickly. How much for fun for him to mess with our minds - to induce more complex, psychological forms of suffering.
GIZIMOTH: Psychological suffering?
BOOBLEFRIP: Yes. Take temptation. By giving us free-will, God can be sure we will agonize endlessly about what we should do. For free will brings with it the exquisite torture of temptation. And then, when we succumb to temptation, we feel guilty. Knowing that, being free, we could have done otherwise, we feel awful about what we have done. We end up torturing ourselves. The exquisitely evil irony of it all!
GIZIMOTH: Hmm.
BOOBLEFRIP: By giving us free-will God allowed for far deeper and more complex forms of suffering than would otherwise be possible. Special, psychological forms of suffering.
GIZIMOTH: But what about the good people sometimes do?
BOOBLEFRIP: It’s true that people do sometimes choose to act selflessly and nobly, and that this can produce good. But this good is far outweighed by the additional suffering free-will brings. Just take a look at the world, for goodness sake! It’s a world full of people who not only behave despicably, but also agonize endlessly about what they have done!

The problem of natural goods

GIZIMOTH: But this is ridiculous!
BOOBLEFRIP: Why?
GIZIMOTH: Well, for a start, this only explains the good that we bring about by acting freely. It doesn’t explain the existence of naturally occurring goods.
BOOBLEFRIP: Such as?
GIZIMOTH: Well, what about the glories of nature: sublime sunsets, stunning landscapes, the splendor of the heavens? We’re not responsible for these things, are we?
BOOBLEFRIP: No. God is.
GIZIMOTH: But why would an all-evil God create something that gives us pleasure? Also, why does he give us beautiful children to love? And why does he choose to give some people extraordinary good fortune – health, wealth and happiness in abundance? Surely the existence of these things provides us with overwhelming evidence that, even if the universe has a creator, he’s not all bad?

The “character-destroying” solution

BOOBLEFRIP: You’re mistaken, Gizimoth. Such things are exactly what we should expect if God is supremely evil.
GIZIMOTH: But why?
BOOBLEFRIP: Some natural beauty is certainly to be expected. If everything was uniformly ugly, we wouldn’t be tormented by the ugliness half as much as if it were laced with some beauty. To truly appreciate the ghastliness of the environment most of us inhabit – a urine stained, concrete and asphalt wasteland peppered with advertising hoardings, drug addicts and dog dirt – we need to be reminded every now and then that things could have been different. God put some natural beauty into the world to make our appreciation of the ugliness and dreariness of day-to-day life all the more acute.
GIZIMOTH: Hmm. But why would a supremely wicked God give us beautiful children to love?
BOOBLEFRIP: Because he knows we’ll spend our entire lives worrying about them. Only a parent can know the depth of torture a child brings.
GIZIMOTH: Why does he give us healthy young bodies?
BOOBLEFRIP: Well, after 10 or 15 years they slowly and inevitably slide into decay, disease and decrepitude until we end up hopelessly ugly, incontinent and smelling of urine. Then we die, having lived out a short and ultimately meaningless existence. You see, by giving us something, and then snatching it away, our evil creator can make us suffer even more than if we had never had it.
GIZIMOTH: But then why does God allow some people live out such contented lives?
BOOBLEFRIP: Of course an evil God is going to bestow upon a few people lavish lifestyles, good health and immense success. Their happiness is designed to make the suffering of the rest of us even more acute! We’ll be wracked by feelings of envy, jealousy and failure! Who can be content while they have so much more!
GIZIMOTH: Oh honestly.
BOOBLEFRIP: Don’t you see? The world clearly was designed to produce life, to produce conscious beings like ourselves. Why? So that it’s designer can torture us. The world is designed to physically and psychologically crush us, so that we are ultimately overwhelmed by life’s futility and bow out in despair.

Gizimoth is becoming frustrated. Every time he comes up with another piece of evidence that the universe wasn’t designed by a supremely evil deity, Booblefrip turns out to have yet another ingenious explanation up his sleeve. And yet, thinks Gizimoth, the evidence against the existence of an utterly evil God is overwhelming.

Some goods require evils

GIZIMOTH: This is ridiculous. You have an answer for everything!
BOOBLEFRIP: Yes, I do have an answer to all your arguments. So far, you’ve given me not the slightest reason to suppose that the world was not created by a supremely evil being. But if you’re unhappy with my answers, let me try a rather different approach. There are some evils that require goods in order to exist, aren’t there?
GIZIMOTH: Such as?
BOOBLEFRIP: Take the evil of jealousy. Jealousy requires there be something to be being jealous of. God gave good things to some people so that others would feel jealous. Or take lying. Lying requires that people often tell the truth – otherwise there would be no point in lying because no one would believe you. The evil of dishonesty requires that there be a certain amount of honesty.
GIZIMOTH: And you think these evils outweigh the goods they depend on?
BOOBLEFRIP: Exactly. God allows some good things into his creation. It’s the price he has to pay for these greater evils.

Play The Mystery Card

GIZIMOTH: These tricksy replies of yours are patently absurd. You can’t seriously maintain that the world you see around you – a world full of natural beauty and laughing children – is really the handiwork of an infinitely evil God?
BOOBLEFRIP: I do maintain that, yes. True, I may not be able to account for every last drop of good in the world. But remember that we are dealing here with the mind of God. Who are you to suppose you can understand the mind of an infinitely intelligent and knowledgeable being? Isn’t it arrogant of you to suppose that you can figure out God’s master plan?
GIZIMOTH: I’m arrogant?

There’s some subtle nodding from the believers on the right.

BOOBLEFRIP: Yes. Arrogant. Evil God works in mysterious ways. Ultimately, everything really is all for the worst. It’s just that, being mere humans, we can’t always figure out how.
GIZIMOTH: Oh, really. This is…
BOOBLEFRIP: I think it’s arrogant of you to suppose otherwise – to suppose that you must be able to figure it all out.

Is the notion of the problem of good unbelievable?

Do notions of divinity expressed by say, the Bible, fit an evil God hypothesis?

Last edited by Awesomelyglorious on 19 Jul 2010, 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 12:55 am

The assumption of a god is that it created the world so that everything would work well and everybody would be happy. In other words, this god is a kind of an engineer. Since everything obviously doesn't work well what are we to conclude? That this god was a lousy engineer? That some other deity (such as an all powerful demon) is screwing up the works? What is the motivation for this nasty character? Since god is all powerful it must have been god who created this screwball demon. For what reason? It really looks as if god doesn't know his business but I'm interested in other probabilities.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 1:01 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Also, it is spelled "Megadeth", and no, if anything, it would listen to something harder than that. Megadeth is no worse than Metallica, and really isn't even that much of an extreme band.

I think there was a bit of a pun there. DarthMetaKnight is suggesting that there would be mega death and it would be auditory and somewhat sublime to a demon.

Your other points are demonstratively correct though. There needs to be a periodic reprieve of agony to insure the poignancy of a hellish experience. Otherwise you'd just burn out the nerve endings or neurons of the suffering victim. Or they would die of shock more likely.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 9:12 am

Sand wrote:
The assumption of a god is that it created the world so that everything would work well and everybody would be happy. In other words, this god is a kind of an engineer. Since everything obviously doesn't work well what are we to conclude? That this god was a lousy engineer? That some other deity (such as an all powerful demon) is screwing up the works? What is the motivation for this nasty character? Since god is all powerful it must have been god who created this screwball demon. For what reason? It really looks as if god doesn't know his business but I'm interested in other probabilities.

Screwball? Image
Think of us as the industrial sabotage complementing His customer service.
It's all essential to maintain a successful business with minimum competition, even if we can't work on the top floor anymore.

NobelCynic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 9:15 am

Interesting article AG, thanks for posting it.

I've always wondered at the opinion of some religious people that when God gave man free will it was a left-handed offer, we were supposed to say “no thank you”. I could never understand why God would be so stupid to give it to us if he didn't want us to have it. Law's suggestion that an evil god might do so because it is more fun to torture and dominate people who have the ability to resist him makes a lot of sense.

The problem is that by giving man the ability to resist evil, God also created good and an adversary (or Satan to use the Hebrew word) to himself. It would then matter little if the first god was good or evil; the situation we have now, of both existing in the same universe, was inevitable either way.

sarek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jul 2010, 9:18 am

The devil, satan, lucifer or whatever is the essence of evil.
Give the chance he would dissect all souls so that he may gather them unto himself and cause eternal nothingness.
No one would remain. The eternal loss of self is the ultimate hell. That is the second death.

What beyond reality

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 10:00 am

sarek wrote:
Give the chance he would dissect all souls so that he may gather them unto himself and cause eternal nothingness.
No one would remain. The eternal loss of self is the ultimate hell. That is the second death.

Somehow I would think that there are fates worse than oblivion.

NobelCynic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 11:27 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:

I agree. The possibility of oblivion does not frighten me at all for if the atheists prove correct in the end there will be nothing left of me to learn of my error let alone regret it.

What would frighten me would be the possibility of the universe dividing into two, a good one and an evil one. Being condemned to a purely evil world would be hell to me though evil people might call it heaven.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 12:24 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
sarek wrote:

Like being Amy Winehouse?

The Lightbringer doesn't neccessarily intend to turn everything into nothing. I don't feel a being capable of enough independant thought to disagree with his master would terminate humanity.
As for Satan, he is the slanderer, tests people, which itself is supposed to be for good in the long run.