Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 8:26 pm

http://slatest.slate.com/id/2260380/entry/2/?gt1=38001

"The FCC's indecency policy, which bars fleeting profanities and other indecency from the nation's airwaves, has been overturned by a federal court. In a surprise ruling, a three-judge panel in New York struck down the rule, calling it "unconstitutionally vague, creating a chilling effect that goes far beyond the fleeting expletives at issue here." The ban has been on the books since 2003, when Bono dropped an F-bomb during a live broadcast of the Golden Globes awards, and currently allows networks to be fined up to $35 million for each offense. That forces broadcasters to "choose between not airing or censoring controversial programs and risking massive fines or possibly even loss of their licenses, and it is not surprising which option they choose," today's ruling notes. "Indeed, there is ample evidence in the record that the FCC's indecency policy has chilled protected speech." Broadcasters welcomed the ruling, although a Fox spokesman said the network would to "continue to strive to eliminate expletives from live broadcasts.""

Now if we could just get rid of the concept of banning words in general then maybe we could focus on more important matters.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by skafather84 on 18 Jul 2010, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 9:04 pm

skafather84 wrote:

"The FCC's indecency policy, which bars fleeting profanities and other indecency from the nation's airwaves, has been overturned by a federal court. In a surprise ruling, a three-judge panel in New York struck down the rule, calling it "unconstitutionally vague, creating a chilling effect that goes far beyond the fleeting expletives at issue here." The ban has been on the books since 2003, when Bono dropped an F-bomb during a live broadcast of the Golden Globes awards, and currently allows networks to be fined up to $35 million for each offense. That forces broadcasters to "choose between not airing or censoring controversial programs and risking massive fines or possibly even loss of their licenses, and it is not surprising which option they choose," today's ruling notes. "Indeed, there is ample evidence in the record that the FCC's indecency policy has chilled protected speech." Broadcasters welcomed the ruling, although a Fox spokesman said the network would to "continue to strive to eliminate expletives from live broadcasts.""

Now if we could just get rid of the concept of banning words in general then maybe we could focus on more important matters.

Starting at this site.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 9:31 pm

Sand wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

Starting at this site.

That won't work. Adults have problems with those words rather less how adults react to kids being around those words.

/can't imagine how many parents defecated themselves when they saw Kick-Ass and heard all the words out of Hit Girl's mouth.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

13 Jul 2010, 10:55 pm

Good. The FCC isn't there to raise your children. Honestly it's pretty much completely obsolete. We don't have to worry about there being too many radio signals now.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 12:59 am

Well, time to hear sentences which are half expletives or more, now that broadcasting companies can get away with use of waste words to make up for thoughtful dialog. Meh, I like the Die Hard series anyway.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 1:10 am

The Censor sits
Somewhere between
The scenes to be seen
And the television sets
With his scissor purpose poised
Watching the human stuff
That will sizzle through
The magic wires
And light up
Like welding shops
The ho-hum rooms of America
And with a kindergarten
Arts and crafts concept
Of moral responsibility
Snips out
The rough talk
The unpopular opinion
Or anything with teeth
And renders
A pattern of ideas
Full of holes
A doily
For your mind

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 1:20 am

Foul language may have some artistic usage in a movie if done properly, such as when there is a cause for frustration saying something in anger. But if the foul language is used every other word, it might as well be fluffy marshmallows for all the benefit it is to a movie's quality. For example here is my paragraph with "fluffy marshmallows" interposed throughout.

Quote:
Foul fluffy marshmallows language fluffy marshmallows may fluffy marshmallows have fluffy marshmallows some fluffy marshmallows artistic fluffy marshmallows usage fluffy marshmallows in fluffy marshmallows a fluffy marshmallows movie fluffy marshmallows if fluffy marshmallows done fluffy marshmallows properly fluffy marshmallows, such fluffy marshmallows as fluffy marshmallows when fluffy marshmallows there fluffy marshmallows is fluffy marshmallows a fluffy marshmallows cause fluffy marshmallows for fluffy marshmallows frustration fluffy marshmallows saying fluffy marshmallows something fluffy marshmallows in fluffy marshmallows anger fluffy marshmallows. But fluffy marshmallows if fluffy marshmallows the fluffy marshmallows foul fluffy marshmallows language fluffy marshmallows is fluffy marshmallows used fluffy marshmallows every fluffy marshmallows other fluffy marshmallows word fluffy marshmallows, it fluffy marshmallows might fluffy marshmallows as fluffy marshmallows well fluffy marshmallows be fluffy marshmallows fluffy fluffy marshmallows marshmallows fluffy marshmallows for fluffy marshmallows all fluffy marshmallows the fluffy marshmallows benefit fluffy marshmallows it fluffy marshmallows is fluffy marshmallows to fluffy marshmallows a fluffy marshmallows movie's fluffy marshmallows quality fluffy marshmallows. For fluffy marshmallows example fluffy marshmallows here fluffy marshmallows is fluffy marshmallows my fluffy marshmallows paragraph fluffy marshmallows with fluffy marshmallows "fluffy marshmallows" fluffy marshmallows interposed fluffy marshmallows throughout fluffy marshmallows.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 6:30 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Foul language may have some artistic usage in a movie if done properly, such as when there is a cause for frustration saying something in anger. But if the foul language is used every other word, it might as well be fluffy marshmallows for all the benefit it is to a movie's quality. For example here is my paragraph with "fluffy marshmallows" interposed throughout.

Quote:
Foul fluffy marshmallows language fluffy marshmallows may fluffy marshmallows have fluffy marshmallows some fluffy marshmallows artistic fluffy marshmallows usage fluffy marshmallows in fluffy marshmallows a fluffy marshmallows movie fluffy marshmallows if fluffy marshmallows done fluffy marshmallows properly fluffy marshmallows, such fluffy marshmallows as fluffy marshmallows when fluffy marshmallows there fluffy marshmallows is fluffy marshmallows a fluffy marshmallows cause fluffy marshmallows for fluffy marshmallows frustration fluffy marshmallows saying fluffy marshmallows something fluffy marshmallows in fluffy marshmallows anger fluffy marshmallows. But fluffy marshmallows if fluffy marshmallows the fluffy marshmallows foul fluffy marshmallows language fluffy marshmallows is fluffy marshmallows used fluffy marshmallows every fluffy marshmallows other fluffy marshmallows word fluffy marshmallows, it fluffy marshmallows might fluffy marshmallows as fluffy marshmallows well fluffy marshmallows be fluffy marshmallows fluffy fluffy marshmallows marshmallows fluffy marshmallows for fluffy marshmallows all fluffy marshmallows the fluffy marshmallows benefit fluffy marshmallows it fluffy marshmallows is fluffy marshmallows to fluffy marshmallows a fluffy marshmallows movie's fluffy marshmallows quality fluffy marshmallows. For fluffy marshmallows example fluffy marshmallows here fluffy marshmallows is fluffy marshmallows my fluffy marshmallows paragraph fluffy marshmallows with fluffy marshmallows "fluffy marshmallows" fluffy marshmallows interposed fluffy marshmallows throughout fluffy marshmallows.

Now here's a great place for foul language.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 1:33 pm

Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Quote:

Now fluffy marshmallows here's fluffy marshmallows a fluffy marshmallows great fluffy marshmallows place fluffy marshmallows for fluffy marshmallows foul fluffy marshmallows language fluffy marshmallows.

fluffy marshmallows

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 2:33 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Quote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26UA578yQ5g&feature=PlayList&p=8877344B6FE69DAF&playnext_from=PL&index=0&playnext=1[/youtube]

The most diverse word in the language and yet, for some odd reason, one of the most restricted. I disagree with the restriction. And people who use it as idling words would sound uneducated no matter what sound they used to idle between words because they're still idling. A person using "f****n'" between words sounds just a dumb as someone going "umm" between words.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 2:35 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
to make up for thoughtful dialog.

Some of the most thoughtful dialog comes from South Park and so do a lot of expletives. Other than that, there isn't much thoughtful dialog on television, anyways; so, I'm not really seeing the loss here.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 3:58 pm

skafather84 wrote:
The most diverse word in the language and yet, for some odd reason, one of the most restricted. I disagree with the restriction. And people who use it as idling words would sound uneducated no matter what sound they used to idle between words because they're still idling. A person using "f****'" between words sounds just a dumb as someone going "umm" between words.

That's actually my point in another manner of phrasing. Basically, I'll live with it if movies have the F-bomb or damn (which means "curse" from Latin, damnare) or Hell, or whatnot, as long as it's used sparingly and at the right moments for emphasis of a scene, but not for filler. But if every other word begins with "F" or whatnot, then the movie or show is just trash illustrating the waste of money on modern theater.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 4:02 pm

skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
to make up for thoughtful dialog.

Some of the most thoughtful dialog comes from South Park and so do a lot of expletives. Other than that, there isn't much thoughtful dialog on television, anyways; so, I'm not really seeing the loss here.

In terms of cartoons I prefer Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles, which whether you like warfare or not, usually was well thought out with the main exception of the atmospheric conditions of the planet Hydrora. Star Trek The Next Generation occasionally used words like Hell and damn, but they weren't used constantly but rather in the proper settings I think.

just_ben
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jul 2010, 5:19 pm

Hooray! Now, if only we could make it mandatory. :D

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 6:54 pm

When I was in the army every second word wasfuck. It has very little to do with education or sophistication but a great deal to do with the general dissatisfaction of being trapped in inevitably stupid and unavoidable miseries. I am not stupid nor uneducated and I have a pretty wide vocabulary and am, in general, quite articulate. I find the disposition to avoid certain words unnecessarily idiotic and subjugated to moronic social mores. There are times I choose to be linguistically offensive and various words are quite useful in those situations. In general I find people who are afraid to use or are offended by any word to be idiotic and over-inhibited and somewhat untrustworthy.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 7:33 pm

One very important point about expletives is that the reason they have any power at all is that they are disruptive and socially impolite. That is their essence and their basic utility and to remove powerful expletives from language is to castrate it.