Is racism acceptable if it is against "whites"?

Page 1 of 10 [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Is racism acceptable if it is against "whites"?
Yes 13%  13%  [ 10 ]
No 87%  87%  [ 68 ]
Total votes : 78

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 4:42 am

Plain and simply, is it acceptable to promote racism against any group of people in particular? Perhaps as a form of vengeance for wrongs done in previous generations or out of serious paranoia? Is it acceptable to instill such blind hatred in children? Is it acceptable to do this in general? Is it acceptable to do this in specific?

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 5:35 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Plain and simply, is it acceptable to promote racism against any group of people in particular? Perhaps as a form of vengeance for wrongs done in previous generations or out of serious paranoia? Is it acceptable to instill such blind hatred in children? Is it acceptable to do this in general? Is it acceptable to do this in specific?

IN theory? No. In practice it would seem that it actually is, at least based on the behaviour of various funding bodies, employers and agencies in the UK.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

30 Aug 2010, 5:45 am

They call it "leveling the playing field" in America.

Affirmative action is racist, preferential admission based on race to schools is racist. Whatever happened to that "content of character" idea? Who was that preacher guy that talked about that again?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 6:10 am

Apparently yes, so long as you call it something else.

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 6:35 am

I strongly believe it is inhuman to discriminate on the basis of race, gender, caste, religion, culture, and disability.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 6:56 am

Jacoby wrote:

Affirmative action is racist, preferential admission based on race to schools is racist. Whatever happened to that "content of character" idea? Who was that preacher guy that talked about that again?

Preferential hiring or advanced based on anything other than competence is unjust.

The merit system should prevail.

ruveyn

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 7:31 am

ruveyn wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Preferential hiring or advanced based on anything other than competence is unjust.

ruveyn

Agreed. I know I come across as racist with some of my views, but let's be real. Even if your family was oppressed, to oppress in this generation as some "compensation" is no better.

As I like to say (all true), my family never owned slaves. We didn't even come to America when slavery was practiced. I did nothing to anybody's grandfather, neither did my dad or his father. So, that I have my skin color used against me because I'm seen as a member of the "majority" is to wrong me as some payback for what some other white person did to someone else generations ago.

Maybe we could justify "minority preference" a couple generations ago because there was no way for the disadvantaged to "catch up," but today, no person can claim to be disadvantaged as compared to anyone else OF EQUAL ECONOMIC STRATA. Poor white or poor black, you're both in the same position in today's world. Minority preference only ensures that the poor black man has an advantage in anything he chooses to pursue even if the poor white person worked longer and harder for the same opportunities.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 7:40 am

zer0netgain wrote:
Minority preference only ensures that the poor black man has an advantage in anything he chooses to pursue even if the poor white person worked longer and harder for the same opportunities.

But don't forget the system is set up to oppress them, man. The majority has all the benefits, man. Let's show our flower power peace and love by blowing up a napalm factory, man. [/satire]

BigK
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2010, 7:51 am

zer0netgain wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

ruveyn

Agreed. I know I come across as racist with some of my views, but let's be real. Even if your family was oppressed, to oppress in this generation as some "compensation" is no better.

As I like to say (all true), my family never owned slaves. We didn't even come to America when slavery was practiced. I did nothing to anybody's grandfather, neither did my dad or his father. So, that I have my skin color used against me because I'm seen as a member of the "majority" is to wrong me as some payback for what some other white person did to someone else generations ago.

Maybe we could justify "minority preference" a couple generations ago because there was no way for the disadvantaged to "catch up," but today, no person can claim to be disadvantaged as compared to anyone else OF EQUAL ECONOMIC STRATA. Poor white or poor black, you're both in the same position in today's world. Minority preference only ensures that the poor black man has an advantage in anything he chooses to pursue even if the poor white person worked longer and harder for the same opportunities.

Or do you live in fairyland?

We have already had one American (potential?) 'business owner' imply that he would not hire blacks.
How many people think like that but are not so open?

Clearly some believe that society is still racist enough for some measures to be required.

Hiring is never based on competence alone.

"How can it not know what it is?"

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 8:10 am

I suppose one could think of it as allowing some racism in one direction to "compensate" for it "leaking" in the other.

That's a hard stance to defend, but the idea that just outlawing discrimination in both directions will not result in more of it toward minorities than the majority, is fantasy-land thinking.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 11:24 am

lol@claims of reverse racism. Whites are not being discriminated in the occidental world. Anyone that thinks so really needs to learn what discrimination truly is.

Anyway, racism against whites is wrong, duh.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 12:00 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
lol@claims of reverse racism. Whites are not being discriminated in the occidental world. Anyone that thinks so really needs to learn what discrimination truly is.

About hatred of racial groups - no, it's not moral to instill racism against groups that used to be (or still are) the predominant members of a given society's ruling class. But due to human nature, it happens and it is regrettable.

I sure hope people stop confusing hatred against whites with employment equity.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 1:32 pm

BigK wrote:
Or do you live in fairyland?

We have already had one American (potential?) 'business owner' imply that he would not hire blacks.
How many people think like that but are not so open?

Clearly some believe that society is still racist enough for some measures to be required.

Hiring is never based on competence alone.

No, not in fairyland, but I know it is a fact that poor whites have been oppressed just as much as any other poor culture group, but nobody does a thing to help them rise above the caste they are placed into. The perception that all whites are privileged is insulting because economic discrimination happens in every culture with the poor always being the oppressed, but nothing is done to provide justice to the poor, right?

I had an uncle who was disinclined to hire African-Americans people because he preferred Hispanics. Perhaps you could say he was racist, but his rationale was based strictly on business experience. Most every time he hired a African-American, he had to watch them to get an honest day's work out of them and frequently had to deal with attitude problems in the workplace. When he hired a Hispanic, he rarely had a problem with them showing up and doing their job. Yes, it is wrong to categorize ALL people based on who you've been exposed to, but when we all base decisions on what is pragmatic. It was not my uncle's fault that the African-Americans who came to his door were problem employees...just as it is not to his credit that the Hispanic workers were so reliable. It had to do with the attitudes promoted within their cultures. In time, he found it easier to prefer one over the other.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 1:56 pm

racism is racism, no matter whose mouth it is coming from.

but ..

zer0netgain wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

ruveyn

affirmative action is not racism. it is not oppression.

there is a secondary, reactive type of racism that i would define as this:
claiming that affirmative action programs are racist, and that they have tipped the advantages to minorities over whites.

it is being illustrated nicely in this thread.

Last edited by katzefrau on 30 Aug 2010, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 1:57 pm

Yes. lol.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 2:24 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:

Just because the level of discrimination is not as strong as more infamous periods or more notorious areas does not make it any less discriminatory. Slapping a jew for being a jew is magnitudes of severity below herding him and his family into a gas chamber but it has its roots in the same hatred. Hiring a black worker over a white worker simply because he is black is still racism. Hiring a white worker over a black one simply because he is white would be abhorrent.

This isn't a game of "my life is harder than yours" or "you did it first" and thus racism in any direction should be reviled.