Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 12:54 pm

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

Al Jazeera is doing live coverage of Egypt and is one of the only outlets to the outside world for those in Egypt. If you want to see some history live...here you go.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 1:04 pm

So which side is Obama going to take? He took the Iranian Government's side in the revolt there, but Mubarack (sp?) is a US ally so he might side with the citizens of Egypt.

Really in all honesty I'd like some compromise to be reached where the Egyptian Government agrees for a peaceful transition into being a Constitutional Republic, but it's the Egyptian People's choice on this.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 1:09 pm

I sincerely hope they can set up a just government without foreign interference.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 1:12 pm

ikorack wrote:
I sincerely hope they can set up a just government without foreign interference.

Unlikely, you'd have terrorist groups trying to set up Egypt as a new base of Operations. Iran will be trying to use it as a new way to attack Israel, etc.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 1:12 pm

The internet and SMS sources have been blocked, so those are pretty much the cues to revolution. That or intervention...

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 1:18 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
ikorack wrote:

Unlikely, you'd have terrorist groups trying to set up Egypt as a new base of Operations. Iran will be trying to use it as a new way to attack Israel, etc.

Well yes which is why I said hope.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 2:55 pm

Great photo from Egypt.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 7:27 pm

skafather84 wrote:

Al Jazeera is doing live coverage of Egypt and is one of the only outlets to the outside world for those in Egypt. If you want to see some history live...here you go.

John Kerry is a living rectum.

ruveyn

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 8:02 pm

ruveyn wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

John Kerry is a living rectum.

ruveyn

HA HA! agreed, but you were too polite.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 8:04 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
So which side is Obama going to take? He took the Iranian Government's side in the revolt there

lol?

Quote:
, but Mubarack (sp?) is a US ally so he might side with the citizens of Egypt.

Really in all honesty I'd like some compromise to be reached where the Egyptian Government agrees for a peaceful transition into being a Constitutional Republic, but it's the Egyptian People's choice on this.

He will probably do the same he did with Iran, Honduras , Ecuador and Tunisia: Nothing but try to take advantage of the end result once it is clear.

Last edited by Vexcalibur on 28 Jan 2011, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

28 Jan 2011, 8:53 pm

2011 will be 1989 all over again

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 10:49 pm

http://www.boingboing.net/2011/01/28/eg ... ed-of.html

Quote:
On Thursday Jan 27th at 22:34 UTC the Egyptian Government effectively removed Egypt from the internet. Nearly all inbound and outbound connections to the web were shut down. The internet intelligence authority Renesys explains it here and confirms that "virtually all of Egypt's Internet addresses are now unreachable, worldwide." This has never happened before in the entire history of the internet, with a nation of this size. A block of this scale is completely unheard of, and Senator Joe Lieberman wants to be able to do the same thing in the US.

This isn't a new move, last year Senators Lieberman and Collins introduced a fairly far-reaching bill that would allow the US Government to shut down civilian access to the internet should a "Cybersecurity Emergency" arise, and keep it offline indefinitely. That version of the bill received some criticism though Lieberman continued to insist it was important. The bill, now referred to as the 'Protecting Cyberspace as a National Asset Act' (PCNAA) has been revised a bit and most notably now removes all judicial oversight. This bill is still currently circulating and will be voted on later this year. Lieberman has said it should be a top priority.

It's worth noting that the US sends $1.3 billion in annual military aid to Egypt. That makes the US the primary benefactor of the current Egyptian government. Vice President Joe Biden stated in an interview with Jim Lehrer on Thursday that Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, who has held that office since 1981, should not be considered a dictator. His opinion is not shared universally.

Mother Jones has a fantastic play-by-play explaining the situation right now in Egypt, and there are reports that some people using Tor are able to skirt around the governmental blocks.

This is something Americans should be paying very close attention to. Think about your daily life and how big a role the internet plays in it. Now think about what it would be like if one person had the authority to turn that off completely. If you can't imagine what that would be like you aren't alone. A week ago this was a hypothetical scenario. Now, you can just ask an Egyptian citizen what that feels like. Pay close attention to what happens with this bill.

Demonstations are planned for London, California (i pressume LA) and somewhere in Canada.

Hopefully all goes peacefully.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 10:54 pm

@Jacoby: I am a musician whose childhood spanned the 1980's, the decade of the best music ever, the golden age of metal/hair bands and synthesizers. Nothing but degradation followed. As soon as I can save enough money, I'm moving to either Sweden or Japan, the last two places on earth good music survives. Please don't remind me of 1989. It only makes me weep.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 11:07 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
The internet and SMS sources have been blocked, so those are pretty much the cues to revolution. That or intervention...

http://www.texnomic.com/blog/?p=480

block guides include the following

"1. Windows XP
2. Windows Vista
3. Windows 7
4. Mac OS X - Tiger
5. Mac OS X - Leopard
6. iPhone -- Soon"

Cant say if they work cos i aint a computer expert but worth guiding through friends over there if you have any way of contacting them

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 12:12 am

skafather84 wrote:
Great photo from Egypt.

Egyptian Mommy topic

Looks like the people have had enough with Big Daddy Mubarak.

He has a reason to fear democracy. :twisted:, and I wonder if the citizens feel the same way. :(

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 12:32 am

Jacoby wrote:
2011 will be 1989 all over again

and not 1979? how does one know the bulk of the "revolutions" won't end up with an islamic tyranny in place? will egypt be the next iran?