Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 8:55 am

I have not actually counted, but I think the most frequent complaint made against Christians and certain religious groups with Christian roots [I think that works terminologically], possibly beating out racism the Crusades, pedophilia and destruction of science, is that they [I say they because I do not in fact do this] are arrogant ignoramuses who insist on trying to to convince other that God exists and Jesus is Lord.

I will not here address the stupid assumption made by many, whether Christian or atheist, that "theist" and Christian" are synonymous.

Anyway, if this evangelical drive is to be deplored and resisted,

WHY IS IT that when one says he believes in a divine entity, WITHOUT IN THE LEAST trying to convince or convert the others, vultures gather trying whether angrily or understandingly to convince him he is wrong?

There are non-evangelical [lower case e is important here] atheists around, Hey, I was one.

Could the evangelically minded atheists please confine themselves to attacking the evangelically minded theists [whether Christian or other]?

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 11:34 am

Philologos wrote:
Could the evangelically minded atheists please confine themselves to attacking the evangelically minded theists [whether Christian or other]?

Good luck on that.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 11:37 am

psychohist wrote:
Philologos wrote:

Good luck on that.

Well, yes. But it nevr hurts to ask politely and we are urged to bug the unjust judge. I knew an old woman JUST like that. I had eventually to give her what she wanted.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 11:59 am

Quote:
WHY IS IT that when one says he believes in a divine entity, WITHOUT IN THE LEAST trying to convince or convert the others, vultures gather trying whether angrily or understandingly to convince him he is wrong?

Habit? In any case, I have no interest in bashing random Christians, but as soon as they start injecting their ideas into Science, or imposing their beliefs on others, I get mad. Sometimes, I will point out inconsistencies in a belief that stems from religion (the soul being one), but I usually don't bother attacking the "God" thing itself.

Quote:

Could all sane people in society vitriolically attack the evangelical Christians who try to impose their beliefs on the rest of the nation? Sane Christians shouldn't turn a blind mind to the as*holes who are oppressing people in the name of their common beliefs.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

09 May 2011, 12:29 pm

Philologos wrote:

"Those who will believe absurdities will commit atrocities."
Cosmic puppet masters qualify as an absurdity.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 12:52 pm

Bethie wrote:
Philologos wrote:

Put a sock in it. I don't even get to the level [on the atrocity meter] of your Diss Blasts.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

09 May 2011, 12:53 pm

Philologos wrote:
Bethie wrote:
Philologos wrote:

Put a sock in it. I don't even get to the level [on the atrocity meter] of your Diss Blasts.

ROFL! :lol:

"Diss Blast" doesn't sound like it'd spawn much fear. We should come up with a more formidable name...

Last edited by Bethie on 09 May 2011, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 12:53 pm

And hey, Bethie - a theist who talks about free will is NOT assuming a puppet master.

Think before pushing the button.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 12:59 pm

Philologos wrote:
And hey, Bethie - a theist who talks about free will is NOT assuming a puppet master.

Depends on the qualities he or she ascribes to god-
if such an entity is creator of the universe, she did in fact orchestrate the affair purposely.

If such an entity is currently in control of the mechanics of reality, then whether she gives two sh!ts about little Johnny cheating on a test specifically or no,
she is still puppeteer of the universe.

And if said deity is neither creator of the universe nor controlling it now...I mean, what kind of deity is that? Pft. :D

Philologos wrote:
Think before pushing the button.

Yours?

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 1:04 pm

You have not come close to pushing my button, which is very well camouflaged. If Sand had any understanding he could maybe find it.

No, I just mean the one on the detonator. Given what you said about editing, I so not think you will see it an criticism if I say one has the impression you sometimes shoot from thde hip without aiming or asking for the password.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 5:01 am

Philologos wrote:
one has the impression you sometimes shoot from thde hip without aiming or asking for the password.

If people fallaciously ascribe to others character traits based on mannerisms they subjectively presume to be emergent of them,
that is a lack of a theory of mind.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 8:51 am

Bethie wrote:
Philologos wrote:
one has the impression you sometimes shoot from thde hip without aiming or asking for the password.

If people fallaciously ascribe to others character traits based on mannerisms they subjectively presume to be emergent of them,

Is that your own?

Du lieber Gott, when have I ever in your all seeing experience claimed I got it theory of mind? I have some hypotheses of certain minds is all.

"Diss Blast" was intended as an objective descriptor of one facet of your perceived interaction here. Hardly a flame. I do not do that, though I did once say something regrettable to and about Sand the day he DID click my key.

Actually, I find your dissing refreshingly free of acid. It is not a mode of letting off steam I can access, but it is not problematic. You do it rather well.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 9:06 am

Philologos wrote:
... Could the evangelically minded atheists please confine themselves to attacking the evangelically minded theists [whether Christian or other]?

Could self-righteous theists please refrain from trying to impose their fears and frustrations on others?

Challenging others to provide evidence to support their claims is one thing; telling them to not challenge yours is hypocrisy.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 9:11 am

If devoutly religious folks would refrain from trying to convert others many of the complaints they hear would go away. If they would refrain from imposing their religious absurdities on the political process many of the complaints would go away.

Religious folk should live by their principles quietly, pray in their own churches and homes quitely and peacefully, and be quiet and polite in their public behavior.

In public it should seem that religion does not exist at all.

ruveyn

Last edited by ruveyn on 11 May 2011, 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 6:59 pm

Bethie wrote:

Bethie wrote:

Agreed.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 7:10 pm

So, what part of making a whole thread attacking atheists for being evangelical does not make you a Christian that insists on convincing others his belief is true?