Page 66 of 100 [ 1585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 100  Next

myth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 11:21 am

MissConstrue wrote:
Feminism is about equality with men not against men. It seems to me most people have this attitude that women want power rather than equality or at least as far as rights are concerned. I'm for men's rights in terms of equality but women ruling over men is certainly not in my agenda nor was it when the movement was first established.

What is equality against someone? Seems oxymoronical?

My point is that feminsm focuses on females and their rights. It makes perfect sense to me that there should be another group to do the inverse. I'd prefer if neither existed and people were just people but if there's going to be one, there should also be the other.

Imo as soon as someone looks around and says "The CEO of my company is a man! ... Most CEOs are men!" there's an issue. So what if it so happens that many people in power have penises? I fail to see the relevance. Conversely if someone says "You can't/shouldn't be a CEO, you're a woman." we also have a problem. People have varying skill sets and while there is some trends to be noted among the genders, the actual gender is irrelevant. That's why I disagree with feminism. I think they are just as bad at genderizing everyone as anyone else is because the seem so damn aware of the fact that they're women and other people are men.

Nothing is absolute.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 11:25 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
myth wrote:
Awesome, masculism does exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masculism

I'm definately on board with that as a counter to feminism. There should be more awareness about this, imo. I never heard of this word before I "invented" it myself yesterday.

The problem with feminism is that the word and concepts behind it immediately put men in a negative light. Men are considered guilty, and the rest is details. It's a dumb attitude. How about everyone treating each other fairly, sexual identity neither being a badge of honor nor an implication of guilt? Why pick some classification of people, and then endeavor to promote those people over the other people in various ways? That's just dumb. Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Seems to me in a society that didn't allow women the right to vote where women had to work for this basic right and in society that still has the notion that women who want equality are good for nothing feminazis...are looked at in a bad light. Just sayin. I certainly don't view all men in a bad light and I don't see that all feminists ie women who are for equal rights in societies that are male dominated, as man haters but that is the common stereotype just as many others ie b***h, slut, skank, whore..etc.

I don't think anyone here has really used words like that towards feminists, I think people are just trying to explain why they don't like the idea......or maybe even trying to understand it more. That was mostly what I did, only to get ridiculed because apparently all feminsims means is rejecting gender roles which makes no bloody sense to me since from what I've heard it seems a lot more then that. Not to mention one does not have to be a 'feminist' to not believe people should not have to follow social gender roles or whatever.

I don't know trying to force an ideology on someone because maybe they agree with some views some people in that ideology might believe is not a very good way to recruit people for the feminist movement.

i've been called a feminazi dozens of times on this board. NEVER in real life or elsewhere online, but on WrongPlanet.... feminazi is thrown around a lot.

04 Apr 2012, 11:31 am

In the second paragraph from the second link I posted(Hyperlexian):

Quote:
When a child is born out of wedlock, S.C. Code § 63-17-20(B) applies:

Unless the court orders otherwise, the custody of an illegitimate child is solely in the natural mother unless the mother has relinquished her rights to the child. If paternity has been acknowledged or adjudicated, the father may petition the court for rights of visitation or custody in a proceeding before the court apart from an action to establish paternity.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 11:33 am

right... so he can petition and get shared custody. what's the problem with that?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 11:33 am

hyperlexian wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
myth wrote:
Awesome, masculism does exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masculism

I'm definately on board with that as a counter to feminism. There should be more awareness about this, imo. I never heard of this word before I "invented" it myself yesterday.

The problem with feminism is that the word and concepts behind it immediately put men in a negative light. Men are considered guilty, and the rest is details. It's a dumb attitude. How about everyone treating each other fairly, sexual identity neither being a badge of honor nor an implication of guilt? Why pick some classification of people, and then endeavor to promote those people over the other people in various ways? That's just dumb. Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Seems to me in a society that didn't allow women the right to vote where women had to work for this basic right and in society that still has the notion that women who want equality are good for nothing feminazis...are looked at in a bad light. Just sayin. I certainly don't view all men in a bad light and I don't see that all feminists ie women who are for equal rights in societies that are male dominated, as man haters but that is the common stereotype just as many others ie b***h, slut, skank, whore..etc.

I don't think anyone here has really used words like that towards feminists, I think people are just trying to explain why they don't like the idea......or maybe even trying to understand it more. That was mostly what I did, only to get ridiculed because apparently all feminsims means is rejecting gender roles which makes no bloody sense to me since from what I've heard it seems a lot more then that. Not to mention one does not have to be a 'feminist' to not believe people should not have to follow social gender roles or whatever.

I don't know trying to force an ideology on someone because maybe they agree with some views some people in that ideology might believe is not a very good way to recruit people for the feminist movement.

i've been called a feminazi dozens of times on this board. NEVER in real life or elsewhere online, but on WrongPlanet.... feminazi is thrown around a lot.

Well I have not seen the term feminazi thrown around too much, then again I don't see everything I imagine. But I was more referring to the more vulgar words at the end of their post.....I have not seen anyone in this thread saying anything like that was my point. Also the ridicule one runs into when trying to explain why they don't nessisarly agree with feminism does not give a very good impression.

myth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 11:35 am

hyperlexian wrote:
right... so he can petition and get shared custody. what's the problem with that?

So, women can petition to get equal pay. What's wrong with that?

Nothing is absolute.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

i have been called a b***h too. and there have been multi-page debates about the words "skank" and "whore" and "slut" because many members do think that those are appropriate words for a promiscuous female.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

myth wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

they are petitioning. it's called feminism.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 11:36 am

hyperlexian wrote:
i have been called a b***h too. and there have been multi-page debates about the words "skank" and "whore" and "slut" because many members do think that those are appropriate words for a promiscuous female.

Ok well I was saying I have not seen that in this thread, and I did not get the impression these are words that are thrown around wrong planet a whole lot......sorry I wasn't aware.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 04 Apr 2012, 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 11:37 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

Ok well I was saying I have not seen that in this thread, and I did not get the impression these are words that are thrown around wrong planet a whole lot......sorry I wasn't aware.

you're right that they haven't been spoken in this thread.

myth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 11:38 am

hyperlexian wrote:
myth wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

But isn't their issue based on the fact that they don't automatically get equal pay? Isn't that wrong?

Nothing is absolute.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 11:38 am

myth wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
myth wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

But isn't their issue based on the fact that they don't automatically get equal pay? Isn't that wrong?

i didn't know you agreed with that. interesting that you want equal rights for men in areas like paternity but not for women in areas like equal pay.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 11:40 am

hyperlexian wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

But people have been ridiculed in this thread for not agreeing with feminism, hence the comment 'bolded for hilarity' as a response to one of my comments with stuff I said put in bold. So not that such things would justify terms like b***h and slut being thrown around, but that sort of thing might contribute to negative feelings towards feminism in general.

just an observation.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 11:41 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

But people have been ridiculed in this thread for not agreeing with feminism, hence the comment 'bolded for hilarity' as a response to one of my comments with stuff I said put in bold. So not that such things would justify terms like b***h and slut being thrown around, but that sort of thing might contribute to negative feelings towards feminism in general.

just an observation.

both sides have been ridiculed (and warnings were given for people on each side).

04 Apr 2012, 11:42 am

hyperlexian wrote:

The way american family law courts work is that in cases where the mother gets custody by (legal)default, if the father petitions the court he has to prove to the judge that him gaining joint custody is in the interests of the child's welfare. Furthermore, if wishes to have custody transferred to him, he must prove that the mother is unfit to care for the children. My sister is attorney and that's where I'm getting this information from. Many judges in the US still believe strongly that Dad = breadwinner and Mom = caregiver.

myth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 11:43 am

hyperlexian wrote:
myth wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
myth wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

i didn't know you agreed with that. interesting that you want equal rights for men in areas like paternity but not for women in areas like equal pay.

Who said I didn't want them or that I agreed with the issue in question? My question was in regards to your (or feminism's) beliefs.

Nothing is absolute.

Last edited by myth on 04 Apr 2012, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.