Page 5 of 18 [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 6:48 pm

YOU missed MY point. domestic violence is a problem in all cultures, not just in the islamic faith. if you hope to have any credibility in your arguments, you should be speaking up for all of the victims and not cherrypicking the ones who fit your agenda. it doesn't matter if islamic men speak up and say it is acceptable vs. other men saying it is NOT acceptable when the result is the same. perhaps the only difference is whether the perpetrators are willing to admit they are ok with hurting women.

(directed at DC)

Last edited by hyperlexian on 20 Mar 2012, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

Tequila wrote:
I propose a new mod from Britain or at least from Europe who has an idea of the cultural background who can stay impartial for these threads, else we're going to come up against this time and again.
But hyperlexian isn't moderating this thread - I am, along with the other moderators.
Really Tequila, you should try and not be quite so pompous with your views on what's right and what isn't.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

aghogday wrote:
it is more likely the result of living conditions, and what people will do to survive.

I don't see news reports of gangs of white men raping underage girls in places like Keighley and Bradford. Nor do I see Sikhs or Hindus in gangs and treating white women like this either.

It's to do with the cultural interpretation of their religion - the Religion of Peace.

20 Mar 2012, 6:49 pm

Raptor wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:
Christians and Jews have been violent towards women but we do not tie them up and ripped their finger nails out when they paint them this happens in muslims countries.

There is abuse of spouse or girlfriend due to individual defect. Then there is abuse that is encouraged, sanctioned and even required by religious doctrine.

ruveyn

You're neglecting child abuse, which is encouraged, sanctioned, and required by christian doctrine.

Believe it or not there is a difference between abuse and spankings. Getting around that by keeping them topped off with pills is easily classified as abuse as well. The difference is that pills are tidier.

Ahhhhh.....I see. Get your children addicted to legal drugs from an early age and screw up their brain developement; all in the name of keeping them "topped off". *sigh* Also, fundie parents resort to quite a bit more than just spanking. Especially when performing exorcisms!

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 6:49 pm

Tequila wrote:
aghogday wrote:
it is more likely the result of living conditions, and what people will do to survive.

I don't see news reports of gangs of white men raping underage girls in places like Keighley and Bradford. Nor do I see Sikhs or Hindus in gangs and treating white women like this either.

It's to do with the cultural interpretation of their religion - the Religion of Peace.

women get gangraped all over, by a variety of perpetrators.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 6:50 pm

Cornflake wrote:
But hyperlexian isn't moderating this thread - I am, along with the other moderators.

Not thread, but threads on this subject in general.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 6:51 pm

Raptor wrote:
If I'm not mistaken they still publicly whip women in Islamic nations for religious infractions where as we do not do that in any civilized western nation.
That in itself says a lot..........

Or stone them to death...

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Mar 2012, 7:09 pm

Tequila wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Not thread, but threads on this subject in general.
So if you dislike the reactions you receive here on this subject then take it to a site more suited to Muslim-bashing and you'll doubtless find nothing but support.

You know full well how close this topic will sail to rule-breaking territory and every time you make similar "Waah - teh Muslims, they're really bad and scary!!" posts I wonder what your motive is.
Supposing we all agree with you: what now? Sharpen the pitchforks, gather up the rope and go a-huntin'?
There is never any direction to these types of thread: just certain people circling and muttering about how really, truly and unutterably bad things are.
What's the point of it? Why are you trying to convince us - wouldn't speaking to those who make the policies allowing these things to happen be more useful?

DC
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 7:17 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
YOU missed MY point. domestic violence is a problem in all cultures, not just in the islamic faith. if you hope to have any credibility in your arguments, you should be speaking up for all of the victims and not cherrypicking the ones who fit your agenda. it doesn't matter if islamic men speak up and say it is acceptable vs. other men saying it is NOT acceptable when the result is the same. perhaps the only difference is whether the perpetrators are willing to admit they are ok with hurting women.

(directed at DC)

No I haven't missed your point in the slightest Hyperlexian. I do not support domestic violence and I recognise that domestic violence is a problem to varying degrees all over the world.

The clue is in the title of this thread. This is a discussion about unsavory parts of Islam.

You have accused me of 'having an agenda' but here is a challenge for you.

Go and look back through my posting history, find me one example just one where I have decided to derail a thread about an unrelated topic by posting anti-islamic material.

Find me an example of me being racist on threads that are about Islam, let alone unrelated threads.

If this thread had been about the negative impacts of christianity you wouldn't have touched it with a bargepole but because it is about Islam and because it is started by Tequila you are all over it like a nasty rash.

If you want to discuss domestic violence, start your own thread instead of derailing other people's threads.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 7:18 pm

Cornflake wrote:
There is never any direction to these types of thread: just certain people circling and muttering about how really, truly and unutterably bad things are.

Well, it has more purpose than half of the other threads in this forum.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Mar 2012, 7:19 pm

Tequila wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Well, it has more purpose than half of the other threads in this forum.
And what is that purpose?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 7:19 pm

DC wrote:
If this thread had been about the negative impacts of christianity you wouldn't have touched it with a bargepole but because it is about Islam and because it is started by Tequila you are all over it like a nasty rash.

True.

Here's a bit of "Christian-bashing" too:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqfE2rZVmXE[/youtube]

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 7:20 pm

DC wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

(directed at DC)

No I haven't missed your point in the slightest Hyperlexian. I do not support domestic violence and I recognise that domestic violence is a problem to varying degrees all over the world.

The clue is in the title of this thread. This is a discussion about unsavory parts of Islam.

You have accused me of 'having an agenda' but here is a challenge for you.

Go and look back through my posting history, find me one example just one where I have decided to derail a thread about an unrelated topic by posting anti-islamic material.

Find me an example of me being racist on threads that are about Islam, let alone unrelated threads.

If you want to discuss domestic violence, start your own thread instead of derailing other people's threads.

domestic violence was in the information posted by the OP, so it is exactly on-topic. nice try, though.

there is no point in flaming a religion for something that is also just as bad in your own culture. they aren't special in that regard.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 7:21 pm

Cornflake wrote:
And what is that purpose?

To discuss and debate the contents of a new video by a popular - and controversial - UK Internet blogger.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 7:21 pm

Cornflake wrote:

NT's are the Bane of the earth!! !! !! !!

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 7:22 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
there is no point in flaming a religion for something that is also just as bad in your own culture.

Does my religion (I don't have one) or culture praise giving a good shoeing to one's wife every once in a while? No? How odd.