01 Jul 2012, 7:36 am

Racists!

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 7:54 am

Tequila wrote:
Racists!

We're trying to honour a national holiday. Please, take your trolling elsewhere UKIP xenophobe.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 8:19 am

You're destroying original Hindu culture by expecting integration!
Soon, you'll ask women to take off burqas because they might as well be bank robbers smuggling drugs.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 8:34 am

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
Soon, you'll ask women to take off burqas because they might as well be bank robbers smuggling drugs.

It's already happening! :o

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/23 ... eous-move/

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 9:16 am

deltafunction wrote:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/23/widespread-support-for-burka-ban-jason-kenney-says-muslims-salute-minister-for-courageous-move/

“The niqab or burka is a political tool by Islamists who wish to segregate Muslims into religious ghettos, cut off from mainstream society,” said Farzana Hassan of the Muslim Canadian Congress. “Islamists consider women who do not cover their heads and faces, which constitutes the vast majority, as sinners and lesser Muslims.”

That's interesting. Why does Canada get all the good ones, and Europe has to settle for the bad ones? Soon, they'll say having a beard and a white dress for men isn't a requirement. I'm sure I could tell the thousands of men in the city next to mine that, and they'd be very happy. With all due respect, though, the bolded part is what is actually happening here. A lot of them, even if they don't force their wives to wear niqabs or burqas, don't let their wives leave the house and prefer neighbourhoods with a lot of other muslims over more comfortable non-muslim neighbourhoods even if they can afford it.

I suppose Canada did actually get the best end of this deal. Happy Canada Day, then.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 9:30 am

Happy birthday to my country

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 9:44 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
We're trying to honour a national holiday. Please, take your trolling elsewhere UKIP xenophobe.

So supporting UK independence is now xenophobic. I'm sure Nigel Farage is honoured to be considered such by the likes of you.

It's not xenophobic to be justifiably worried about aspects of a culture if these aspects are threatening to the host country and only a politically-motivated leftist would suggest otherwise.

So do Canadians live an integrated lifestyle or a segregated one? We have the latter in many parts of the North of England and probably in Europe as well.

And Canadians have control over their own borders - something that the UK (or the Netherlands) does not even have.

Come and live here for a while before passing comment on another country.

HisDivineMajesty wrote:

I'm telling you, they're a bunch of racists.

HisDivineMajesty wrote:

You must be a fascist or something.

Shopping centres, banks and supermarkets expect people to take off their hoods and motorcycle helmets. Those wearing niqab should be no different.

deltafunction wrote:
It's already happening! :o

I'm not in favour of a complete ban on the niqab or burqa, not by a long chalk. It isn't for the State to tell people what they should and shouldn't wear. However, it should be banned in public buildings and airports, as well as banks, post offices, petrol stations and supermarkets. I think a ban is illiberal, much like banning a book. However, gradually encouraging the open mocking and derision of the garment would go a long way.

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
That's interesting. Why does Canada get all the good ones, and Europe has to settle for the bad ones? Soon, they'll say having a beard and a white dress for men isn't a requirement. I'm sure I could tell the thousands of men in the city next to mine that, and they'd be very happy. With all due respect, though, the bolded part is what is actually happening here. A lot of them, even if they don't force their wives to wear niqabs or burqas, don't let their wives leave the house and prefer neighbourhoods with a lot of other muslims over more comfortable non-muslim neighbourhoods even if they can afford it.

This is true. Parts of our towns and inner cities are ethnic ghettos.

Ignoring the political debate, though: Happy Canada Day. Have moose steak and Kraft Dinner, drink Molson and say "eh!" to your heart's content. :)

Last edited by Tequila on 01 Jul 2012, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 9:47 am

Go mope in your own thread Tequila, you are completely off topic

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 9:51 am

i just lost all remaining respect i had for tequila or HDM.

congratulations to any and all canadians on canada day.:salut:

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 9:55 am

Oodain wrote:
i just lost all remaining respect i had for tequila or HDM.

congratulations to any and all canadians on canada day.:salut:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTOm7gofXnQ[/youtube]

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 9:56 am

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
deltafunction wrote:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/23/widespread-support-for-burka-ban-jason-kenney-says-muslims-salute-minister-for-courageous-move/

“The niqab or burka is a political tool by Islamists who wish to segregate Muslims into religious ghettos, cut off from mainstream society,” said Farzana Hassan of the Muslim Canadian Congress. “Islamists consider women who do not cover their heads and faces, which constitutes the vast majority, as sinners and lesser Muslims.”

I suppose Canada did actually get the best end of this deal. Happy Canada Day, then.

It might have something to do with international views of the different countries. Canada has a reputation as a tolerant place that is accepting of different beliefs and cultures, and so many immigrants that come here do so because of this, to escape the old world's prejudice. European countries are not necessarily known for these traits so you are more likely to get immigrants focused specifically on their own job security and the expansion of their culture, rather than ones who intend to live in a secular society

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 9:57 am

Vigilans wrote:
Canada has a reputation as a tolerant place that is accepting of different beliefs and cultures

Is Canada known for tolerating intolerance?

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 10:00 am

Tequila wrote:
I'm not in favour of a complete ban on the niqab or burqa, not by a long chalk. It isn't for the State to tell people what they should and shouldn't wear. However, it should be banned in public buildings and airports, as well as banks, post offices, petrol stations and supermarkets. I think a ban is illiberal, much like banning a book. However, gradually encouraging the open mocking and derision of the garment would go a long way.

So far it's just for voting purposes and citizenship oaths. I doubt it would become irrational or xenophobic, just as a salute to Canadian culture for the citizenship ceremony, and I believe for identification and also cultural purposes when voting.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 10:02 am

deltafunction wrote:
just as a salute to Canadian culture

So women dressing up like ninjas isn't part of Canadian culture then? Imagine that.

If it is, then one must ask? What is Canadian culture?